Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In clean, green wood Stihl RS (yellow) is awesome. Also, Stihl chain generally has the hardest shell and stays sharp longer, though some say they can make other brands sharper.
That’s all I use. When I first got my MS 290 I was never so disappointed in a saw. When I bought my first chain he handed me a green box. I asked if he had anything more aggressive? He handed me a yellow box. For 15 years or so it lives on the back of my truck. Before that most of my saws were 404, or the 3/8 chains were cut for us by a shop that knew it was for commercial use, so I had no experience with home owner designed chain. The term safety chain is an oxymoron, as Phibert said, it will still cut you in half, just a little slower.

Waiting on the FIL and crew to show up for some firewood processing. Have a few scary dead standing ones I want to fell today. Say a prayer for us please.

The wife started some chili over the fire. I can't wait to smash some with some corn bread.

EFF0E044-AEB0-4957-BC46-D6C096AE540D.jpeg

I hope y'all have a blessed day!!

I’m torn between Stihl RS and Oregon LGX as my favorite chain. I also have Oregon EXL but haven’t cut enough with that yet. Haven’t had the chance to try the Husky X-cut.

Stihl cuts well holds an edge longer than anything else. But it’s a bear to hand file, especially if you rock it.

LGX sharpens nicely with a file and lasts decently long. Maybe a bit faster cutting when really really sharp.

I’m torn between Stihl RS and Oregon LGX as my favorite chain. I also have Oregon EXL but haven’t cut enough with that yet. Haven’t had the chance to try the Husky X-cut.

Stihl cuts well holds an edge longer than anything else. But it’s a bear to hand file, especially if you rock it.

LGX sharpens nicely with a file and lasts decently long. Maybe a bit faster cutting when really really sharp.

I was going to try the X cut as well. I think what I'll do is get three different options, the RS, X-Cut, and maybe the EXL or LGX and run them and file them and see what Iike. I'm assuming any will be an improvement over the Vanguard chain I've been running; which I'm actually quite happy with. It files very easy and seems to last a decent amount of time.

Then again, maybe that's because I've never had a really good chain LOL.

I was going to try the X cut as well. I think what I'll do is get three different options, the RS, X-Cut, and maybe the EXL or LGX and run them and file them and see what Iike. I'm assuming any will be an improvement over the Vanguard chain I've been running; which I'm actually quite happy with. It files very easy and seems to last a decent amount of time.

Then again, maybe that's because I've never had a really good chain LOL.
Being full chiseled helps the Vanguard a lot. It’s more the dynamics of grinding the depth gauges than anything that turns people off to it.

I’ve had a couple loops of EXL. One felt just like LGX. The other one cut slower almost like the rakers weren’t down far enough from the factory. But that happens to many brands of chain occasionally.

Lately I've been running a lot more lgx chain, the stihl RS price jumped at the dealer, so the lgx just was the next best option imo. Havent tried any husqy x cut yet. If I rock a chain (last week it was actually a screw) I just set the chain to the side and toss another on. Save it for the grinder when I get home.

Looks like the EXL is a full chisel? Never used one. always semi-chisel. What gauge are your bars. Years ago when I got the 038, the dealer put on a 20" (72 DL) 0.063 bar. I have a half dozen new chains and several half worn ones I'm trying to use up. So I probably won't be switching anytime soon. I later bought a 24" (84 DL) bar of the same gauge. I only have one or two of those chains and I want to use the 24" bar on the 046 once I get it up and running. Would you down-size to an 0.050 gauge for that one? I do plan to do a little milling (small logs) with that saw so would it be better to stick with the stiffer 0.063 bar?

I have 3/8" 0.050 ga on everything but the 36" bar, that's 0.064" ga. Even my husqy small mount (346xp) runs 0.050" never really understood why the need for so many gauges on a 3/8" chain. 0.050 means I can run, husqy, oregon, or stihl chain, and can have it at any local store if I need in a pinch.

Looks like the EXL is a full chisel? Never used one. always semi-chisel. What gauge are your bars. Years ago when I got the 038, the dealer put on a 20" (72 DL) 0.063 bar. I have a half dozen new chains and several half worn ones I'm trying to use up. So I probably won't be switching anytime soon. I later bought a 24" (84 DL) bar of the same gauge. I only have one or two of those chains and I want to use the 24" bar on the 046 once I get it up and running. Would you down-size to an 0.050 gauge for that one? I do plan to do a little milling (small logs) with that saw so would it be better to stick with the stiffer 0.063 bar?
Correct, full chisel. I use .050 on everything except I have two long bars with .063.

Larger gauge bars aren’t stiffer. Larger gauge chains are beneficial on longer bars because they oil a little better though. I don’t think it’s noticeable below a 28” bar.

Since we’re talking about chains, I just ordered three of these for my saw. Same thing I’ve used in the past, they work really well.

STIHL 3/8 chain 36 inch bar 114 drivers .050 gauge full chisel full skip RSLFK
Where do you guys order from? I like sthil chain but most I’ve found are about double the price of Oregon chain.

Here’s the scrounge for the weekend. Looks like at least two meals of bacon wrapped duck are on the menu for the week.
561704B8-BFA0-4CE5-B97A-7C8EAAF59826.jpeg

Topped off the pint bottles. This is the last of 24 gallons I bought when I worked at the marine dealership in 2000. Certainly some of this oil went through saws before I knew better.
56360FF9-503E-4BD8-BCB7-A241D2647108.jpeg

I'm a new convert to Stihl chain. Used mostly Oregon in the past, but definitely like the chain from zee fatherland better. Local saw shop sells it for $1./bar inch.
buy 2 get the third 1/2 price.
That’s pretty good, most I’ve seen has been around $40+ for 32”. Madsens has been $25 for Oregon, if you buy 2 at a time.

Back