Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been crazy windy here for 24 hours. Hoping it’s almost through.
Windy here now, says 20mph on the app I use. The wind advisory doesn't start until 9am officially. Starting to rain a little, chance of rain all day tomorrow, glad I was outside most the day today.
Just went out to see if my new to me splitter would fire, no go. Guess I'll check it out tomorrow lol.

I'm pretty safe on the depth gauges not getting too thin. I have never figured out how to reliably use them for filing the rakers. They might be great, but I have never used that part with any confidence.

I mostly set my rakers with an oregon bench grinder. I have one set up with a flat wheel for only working the depth gauges. We hand file the first raker with an oregon depth gauge tool, then adjust the grinder to match that height. Burn on, baby! The bench grinder works real fast; you needn't even be careful about overheating or making burrs.

If you are feeling real fancy, you can even dress the wheel (using the Oregon dressing stone) with a bit of a curved pitch to emulate what the factory put on it originally.
I mean the raker gauge on the roller guide gets filed thin. Philbert suggest using it to check, but not filing on the gauge. I should do a video on how to use them, most all the sharpen videos of guys using the roller guide when they get the the rakers they use a standard fixed gauge at whatever they choose(like .025, .030, ect.). Some guys think it's to aggressive, I like how they cut.

I used to do that on the rakers, just tilt the head about 10 degrees was all I did.
Then I got this, just do one like you said and your off to the races, well you should do many other things before taking a chain racing :laugh:.

We got 4+ inches of wet heavy snow here yesterday. Power never went out like the 7 day outage we had a few years ago, probable because I filled the tub full of water. I was not ready at all, it took down my 10-20 car port for next years wood. I normally take the canvas off in November . I had some small trash trees that were hanging over the driveway so I took out the 450 for that, I did not have it going in over a year but with husky pre mix fuel it started and ran just fine. The 257 or the 562 xp were to big and the 450 is a great small limbing saw. I am glad I stained the house and finished last week, wife didn't like my using the loader to reach the peak but it's 3 floors with the walk out basement so it got me up there just had to use a step ladder to get into the loader. Today was wood boiler clean out for the star of our season. Now I need to clear out the split wood from the lot so I can get to the shed to load up on wood to start the season. Wood stove has done the job but now it's getting cold enough to fire the boiler for the season.

The bench grinder works real fast; you needn't even be careful about overheating or making burrs.

I actually had problems overheating the depth gauges when I first tried it with a grinder. Especially, STIHL chains with the low-kickback bumpers. Even started a thread on it.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/depth-gauges-on-a-grinder.200410/
With a depth gauge, of course!
It’s a ‘depth gauge gauge’! (or a ‘depth gauge tool’).

Philbert

My mother died a couple of weeks ago at 88. She was remarkably healthy, and took no medicines, and didn't even know any doctors. While saddened, In retrospect, I am relieved that she told me she was looking forward to visiting God.

For those of you who haven't been down that road with your parents yet, dammit! Make a plan for your own demise. Let everybody know how you want to be buried, get your will into everybody's hands and just make sure you don't become a burden to add to your family's grief.

Myself, I plan on being so contrary, independent, and obstreperous that everybody will be glad when I am gone. I also plan on taking care of myself and lasting so long that everyone will be saying at my funeral that they didn't think I was ever going to croak. No grief, no pain, just goodbye. :drinkingcoffee:

In addition to he above. Buy a burial policy so everything is paid for. That way the funeral director can't talk the survivors into blowing a lot of money on a fancy funeral. My first one was for my wife (ill health but she made it almost to 80). Quoted all up crematiom at $7xx. Kept putting it off. When I finially bought it it had jumped to $17xx. One for me was about the same price.

Funerals will keep going up and left to survivors they feel obligated to go high end.

I did do a good amount of noodling with the 254 though, as well as most of the bucking.

Nice to see a 254 still earning its keep! My favourite saw. I have three - one running strong, one that needs seals and bearings and one that is in bits in a box and needs completely going through. Will be buying more, when I see them cheap.

Nice to see a 254 still earning its keep! My favourite saw. I have three - one running strong, one that needs seals and bearings and one that is in bits in a box and needs completely going through. Will be buying more, when I see them cheap.
They are great saws. I have a cobbled together 154. Definitely one of my favorite stock saws in the stable.

I harvested a very small hive out of a tree this summer. We had trouble, got a new queen, then added some brood frames. Sadly, it then got wiped out by a raccoon in September. :nofunny:

I guess I'll try again in the spring.

Bummer! We have five hives, two of which are late splits we made from one hive that was going bananas. They had 9 or so queen sells made and where about to swarm. So far, all are doing well, save the one split that was getting overrun by yellow jackets. I really hope they make it.

It has become my goto saw these days. I have the one pictured that is ported, then a "parts" one that's a good running saw, but I bought it for the parts to keep the ported one going.

I'm on the hunt for another one, specifically looking for one made around 1991 that has the orange XP label on the recoil sticker. Want a nice one to match my 91 262xp. Will have that one ported also.

Windy here now, says 20mph on the app I use. The wind advisory doesn't start until 9am officially. Starting to rain a little, chance of rain all day tomorrow, glad I was outside most the day today.
Just went out to see if my new to me splitter would fire, no go. Guess I'll check it out tomorrow lol.

I went to fire up the splitter I have for sale the other day, and it didn't start either. Then I realized it was out if fuel. Apparently the petcock valve leaks when left on. Will have to look into that. Sucker leaked out almost a 1/2 gallon of 100LL!

Rest of the story, the 4 hours on the clock was a joke, it's been used, probably new clock. The kids really like it. I might not have gotten the best deal on it, but they sure did. Still a very nice beginner tractor. Should last them a long, long time.
7gJKCf3.jpg

Sorry to hear Mike. Prayers for you and your family.

Thanks Steve, guess it is good I did not plan to go to your get together this year, the timing would have sucked!

How did it go? Because it was her sister, I spoke to my Aunt that lives near you that day. It was cold in the morning and evening here, but got surprisingly nice in the afternoon. How was the weather near you?

Thanks Steve, guess it is good I did not plan to go to your get together this year, the timing would have sucked!

How did it go? Because it was her sister, I spoke to my Aunt that lives near you that day. It was cold in the morning and evening here, but got surprisingly nice in the afternoon. How was the weather near you?
I held off this year due to to covid crap. Thinking about a spring GTG May 1st.

Back