Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your wood is a long ways from the stove. I'd build a car port right next to it. I like the way you keep it neat and clean; looks nice.
Insurance company sent an agent to measure distance from stove to wood crib, minimum 25 feet is required. Also had to remove my wood stove from garage/workshop. When we heated with wood furnace in basement 18 years ago and purchased home 30 years ago, had to have it inspected and make alterations before they would insure. Wife and I checked with several different companies at the time. Switched companies and had to have OWB approved again.

Sorry to hear.

Do you need some saws? I can mail you a few.

I would put out some gas cans with 5 gallons of water and a half gallon of gas floated over the top so it smells like gas. Then once they disappear, wait to see which neighbor has mysterious car trouble.
Internet finally back on after Zeta made its quick pass thru. Was without power for 2 days. I was glad I had wired up a generator connection back in the summer. I found I can get by pretty good with a 8500 W gas generator. We where the envy of the neighbor hood. I noticed the neighbors standing on their porches with there noses in the air as the wife was cooking up sausage and eggs. With a little careful breaker selections, I was even able to run the electric furnace to warm the house up.

I appreciate the offer of the saws. Not sure yet what brother is going to do. I cant keep giving him saws if he cant find a way to secure them from the crackheads. I have a lot of spare parts for a 55 husky, but I dont have a good crank/case or gas tank. I have a new top end for a 55 and 346xp, just dont have the bottoms to put them on. I could probably put a 372 xp together, but that is way more saw than he needs. I have several saws that are runners and for now I think I will just let him borrow one when he needs it. The 7910 dolmar will make a great loaner saw, after a few hours of running that heavy thing and he will probably be glad to bring it back. ;) A little to much saw for cutting brush.

Bummer! We have five hives, two of which are late splits we made from one hive that was going bananas. They had 9 or so queen sells made and where about to swarm. So far, all are doing well, save the one split that was getting overrun by yellow jackets. I really hope they make it.

I'm guessing that you know a great deal more about it than I do. I have found a guy in our area that makes a business out of educating beekeepers, so I have lots of expertise on tap.

What is a "queen sell"? You are selling the queens, or perhaps something else?

We have an area that is surrounded by nothing but fallow land and woods for about a mile in any direction. No farms, and almost no residences. How many hives do you think that will support?
Bee spot.jpg

I'm guessing that you know a great deal more about it than I do. I have found a guy in our area that makes a business out of educating beekeepers, so I have lots of expertise on tap.

What is a "queen sell"? You are selling the queens, or perhaps something else?

We have an area that is surrounded by nothing but fallow land and woods for about a mile in any direction. No farms, and almost no residences. How many hives do you think that will support?
View attachment 865363

It was a speak text error, It was a speak text error, that was supposed to read queen cell. As in, the cells they make a queen in.

Woods produce a lot of pollen for Bees, especially in the spring. Maples, Sycamore, Basswood, and many others provide lots of pollen for them.

Short range deer scrounging season opened today, I’m not a good stand hunter but stuck it out for couple hrs this morning 5583C3E8-2314-4548-AEC9-6ED38039652F.jpeg
Heard a deer doing the warning blow thing behind me but didn’t see anything.

Seems like always see something interesting out in the woods though, amazing these trees can grow on rocks08B7716C-C1C2-4B42-A125-D55C18D5E7C2.jpegSaw several in this area like that.

In the wake of my Mom's passing, my younger Daughter came over today to scan some of the pics I have of my Mom, so I though I would share a few.

I think the first one is Summer of 1953 when I was still the only tyke, another LI beach photo with both parents, a Halloween photo from 1966 (held at the same church where she will be interned, also ironic that she passed on Halloween) and my favorite photo of my folks from the 1960s. I also thought you guys may like this fishing one from 1948. My Grandmother is second from the left, my Grandfather second from the right. (The last 2 photos will be in another post, they don't seem to like too many pics in a post)

Attachments

• MomMikeBeach.jpg
    MomMikeBeach.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 29
  • MomDadBeach.jpg
    MomDadBeach.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Haloween1966.jpg
    Haloween1966.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 28
Never hit post reply on this last night.
We got 4+ inches of wet heavy snow here yesterday. Power never went out like the 7 day outage we had a few years ago, probable because I filled the tub full of water. I was not ready at all, it took down my 10-20 car port for next years wood. I normally take the canvas off in November . I had some small trash trees that were hanging over the driveway so I took out the 450 for that, I did not have it going in over a year but with husky pre mix fuel it started and ran just fine. The 257 or the 562 xp were to big and the 450 is a great small limbing saw. I am glad I stained the house and finished last week, wife didn't like my using the loader to reach the peak but it's 3 floors with the walk out basement so it got me up there just had to use a step ladder to get into the loader. Today was wood boiler clean out for the star of our season. Now I need to clear out the split wood from the lot so I can get to the shed to load up on wood to start the season. Wood stove has done the job but now it's getting cold enough to fire the boiler for the season.
It just started raining hard here, I blame myself for pressure washing the kubota and leaving it outside. Imagine if I would have left the mower out too :oops:.
I like the 450's. About the same specs as the 353, nicely balanced for limbing and handle great.

Speaking of EXL. I ran one of my loops from @PA Dan

I like it!!! Seems to cut really well, and held the edge good. Still going after today, gonna see how long she'll throw chips before I need to file her.
I like the EXL chain, it does a great job, square it does well too. I have had a real bad run with it though, all but one of the last batch of them I've hit stones or metal every time I've had them out. The one that I didn't hit anything with I just used to flush cut a stump and I had to use it to flush cut a couple others too since I didn't have any other chains so it has gotten worn down fast too :rare2:.
Wind hit here last night, according to the wife. I slept through it. LOL
Wonder if the guy you did the tree work for slept though it :surprised3: .
I went to fire up the splitter I have for sale the other day, and it didn't start either. Then I realized it was out if fuel. Apparently the petcock valve leaks when left on. Will have to look into that. Sucker leaked out almost a 1/2 gallon of 100LL!
Just messed with this one a bit, I bought it non running.
It has no spark. Also found it has a leak in the fuel tank.
I pulled everything off down to the coil to take a peak, pickup is pretty rust, which is pretty normal. I have the identical motor on another splitter just like it that I could tear down if I choose. Not sure exactly what the problem is, but a 50-100 CL motor will fix whatever is wrong with it if I can figure it out.

I actually had problems overheating the depth gauges when I first tried it with a grinder. Especially, STIHL chains with the low-kickback bumpers. Even started a thread on it.
I had the same problem, doesn't make it easy to adjust them in the woods when they are case hardened :cry:.

Well I had one of my finest solo shoots ever today. Limited on ducks and hooded mergansers (mergansers are subject to their own limit). Probably the last day of duck hunting for me this year.
View attachment 865352
Congratulations on a great hunt. Good to have a season closer like that. Ice up? If I end up with 4 Mallards I'm happy. Try not to shoot the small birds because with my eyes, I can't tell if I'm shooting at divers or not. Our season opens the 10th and the temps are predicted to be 30-40s for the highs. Last year it iced up on the third day of the season and didn't thaw for a week. Birds just kept on going. Probably be the same this year too.

What year are these pictures?

In the first post the first two pics are from the early 1950s, the Halloween pic is 1966, the fishing pic is 1948, the other pic is from the 1960s.

This pic is from Halloween 1967. My youngest brother and sister are dress up, and I'm with my first dog Rex. Rex was 1/2 German Shepard, and was the smartest dog I have ever seen. Because he was my first dog, I did not fully appreciate his intelligence at the time. When he passed (from cancer at 6), my Aunt told me I would NEVER have another dog like him. Unfortunately, she was right. People constantly asked me where I got him trained … I just shrugged my shoulders and said I trained him myself. Truth was he was so damn smart he did not have to be trained, he just did whatever I asked him to do.

It was a time when dogs did not have to be leashed, he would follow my bike and come into stores with me. Even if dogs were not allowed, he was so well behaved no one ever asked us to leave.

I would later take him hunting with me, and he would retrieve grouse and drop them at my feet w/o any training, and not put a mark on them, he knew they were for me.

Attachments

• 11-2-67.jpg
    11-2-67.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 26
In the first post the first two pics are from the early 1950s, the Halloween pic is 1966, the fishing pic is 1948, the other pic is from the 1960s.

This pic is from Halloween 1967. My youngest brother and sister are dress up, and I'm with my first dog Rex. Rex was 1/2 German Shepard, and was the smartest dog I have ever seen. Because he was my first dog, I did not fully appreciate his intelligence at the time. When he passed (from cancer at 6), my Aunt told me I would NEVER have another dog like him. Unfortunately, she was right. People constantly asked me where I got him trained … I just shrugged my shoulders and said I trained him myself. Truth was he was so damn smart he did not have to be trained, he just did whatever I asked him to do.

It was a time when dogs did not have to be leashed, he would follow my bike and come into stores with me. Even if dogs were not allowed, he was so well behaved no one ever asked us to leave.

I would later take him hunting with me, and he would retrieve grouse and drop them at my feet w/o any training, and not put a mark on them, he knew they were for me.
Great pictures Mike, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a very smart dog!

Latest posts

Back