Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sorry to report that Zogger passed away today due to complications of pneumonia and ALS, one day after his 68th birthday.

This was taken at his house the last time I visited him.
View attachment 866340
So sorry to hear. That day was the only time I met him and wish I had taken the time sooner to learn to know him better.

I had faith you were good to go, I was just stating how I've watched other guys learn.

Sounds like you're getting to the limit lol.

Kubota boys can survive :guitar:.
View attachment 866267
And some pics of a dirtier wood noodling chain, cleaner wood, softwood, or non-frozen wood if add a bit more hook.
Fire away, I ain't scared :oops::lol:.
View attachment 866268View attachment 866270View attachment 866271

Chain looks really good for a chain with not much of the cutters left; very good actually. Looks like it needs a touch up to get the corners back to sharp; either that or the pics are a little blurry.

How do you sharpen your chains?

I’m sorry to report that Zogger passed away today
He always had a funny name for animals and things (though I think someone else probably dubbed the term "zoggerwood"), never had a bad word to say, and seemed truly happy with life's simple things. I think I would have enjoyed hearing him tell stories in person. Rest in peace Zogger.

I’m sorry to report that Zogger passed away today due to complications of pneumonia and ALS, one day after his 68th birthday.

This was taken at his house the last time I visited him.
View attachment 866340
That's for the update.
Very sad, hoping he's in a better place now.

Anyone happen to know where I can get a new tip for a husky tech light bar? View attachment 866338The 4 rivet one
I'm pretty sure I have one, on a 20" .058 bar ;).
I'd look on eBay and get the part number, then I'd google it to see if I could find one.
The other option is get ahold of spike and see if he can look one up for you and see who has one.
What's wrong with it.

Chain looks really good for a chain with not much of the cutters left; very good actually. Looks like it needs a touch up to get the corners back to sharp; either that or the pics are a little blurry.

How do you sharpen your chains?
Thanks. I like them when they get down there like that, they cut very well.
It's had a half a tank on it noodling and cutting firewood pieces that were a little long and I hit the dirt a couple handfuls of times. I also used this chain for doing a bunch of cookie cuts in some hard ash last fall (iirc) to test some saws. It has a few cutters with mild damage on the working corner, but I won't hit it with a file for a while and when I do it will be freehand. I sharpened it on my tecomec super jolly before I did the test cuts and I clean the gullets with another run on the grinder until the file will clean it to the top of the links. Rakers were set on the silvey raker grinder after setting one raker with the husky progressive gauge.
My phone has a cracked lens, it's hard to get it to zoom at all.
Looks ‘purdy’!

Philbert
Thanks.

Prayers to the Zogger family, and thanks for keeping us posted Steve.

I just returned from the wake of a friend who passed at 67. Back in the day he was a big strong guy, 6'4", 240 lbs and cut … but he lost his wife, blew out his knee (so he could no longer work construction) and resorted to excessive smoking and drinking. Back in 1975 he, me and my brother took 2nd place in a Greaser Contest up at my college. Unlike everyone else, we didn't have to dress any differently for it!

Attachments

• Ken,Mike,MattJan1975.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
He always had a funny name for animals and things (though I think someone else probably dubbed the term "zoggerwood"), never had a bad word to say, and seemed truly happy with life's simple things. I think I would have enjoyed hearing him tell stories in person. Rest in peace Zogger.
Yes! He called his ducks “velociquackers” and chickens were “attack chickens”. I believe one dog was chupacabra and another was mini swamp wookie.

For the last several months Mark and I were able to correspond via text as although he couldn’t speak, he could still work the phone well. My last interaction with him was Wednesday evening when I wished him a happy birthday.

He was certainly not happy about his condition but he always kept the upbeat sense of humor. I believe he was very well received at the nursing home. When the storms cause power outages there last week he was joking about prepping and was conserving on phone battery to make sure he could get through.

I had just bought several picture frames and was going to do up some decor for his room but didn’t get that far. But as you guys say he’s in a better place now and his suffering has ended.

When I got a call from an unknown number in Calhoun GA last night I knew what news was about to be delivered.

Yes! He called his ducks “velociquackers” and chickens were “attack chickens”.

I thought the ducks were quackoraptors? Or maybe the chickens were cluckoraptors? I forget now. But I'm sure you know better than me since you knew him.

I'm sorry Zogger is gone. I joined AS in April 2016 while I was convalescing after knee surgery and read the Scrounging thread from the beginning through to about page 850 (which it was up to then) before making my first post. Zogger was a regular contributor and I enjoyed seeing the pictures of Oakzilla.

Life is short, it seems. We should make the most of it while we can, rather than worry about things we can't control.

I'm pretty sure I have one, on a 20" .058 bar ;).
I'd look on eBay and get the part number, then I'd google it to see if I could find one.
The other option is get ahold of spike and see if he can look one up for you and see who has one.
What's wrong with it.
Thanks Brett, no luck on google or eBay so far, I’ll try spike.
I was trying to swing a tree around and tip got bent when I cut the hinge on lower side. 6ADED102-F2C6-43AB-89B2-9CF28B2DCBB7.jpegCan still turn sprocket by hand barely but it gets pretty hot running it that way.
Your chain looks good btw;)

Thanks Brett, no luck on google or eBay so far, I’ll try spike.
I was trying to swing a tree around and tip got bent when I cut the hinge on lower side. View attachment 866406Can still turn sprocket by hand barely but it gets pretty hot running it that way.
Your chain looks good btw;)
Bummer, I'll take a peek in a bit, I may have something saved in my eBay.
Thanks, it cuts okay, more hook or square is more fun though:chainsaw:.
I wish I had a camera that would capture up close pictures better.

Sorry, I can't find anything that crosses to that bar for a tip only.
I did find a few 20" bars and that's it.
Try contacting your local dealer or spike.
The last image seemed to be the cheapest relating to the 20" bar number that would appear to have the same tip. If I was going to buy that I would ask for him to provide a picture of it to be sure. Before I did that I would place an ad on here, they had a problem with those bars where they would delaminate, so I would bet there are members with like new bars just laying there who could provide a tip for you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.28.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.28.08 AM.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.34.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.34.52 AM.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.39.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 9.39.51 AM.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 3
Sorry, I can't find anything that crosses to that bar for a tip only.
I did find a few 20" bars and that's it.
Try contacting your local dealer or spike.
The last image seemed to be the cheapest relating to the 20" bar number that would appear to have the same tip. If I was going to buy that I would ask for him to provide a picture of it to be sure. Before I did that I would place an ad on here, they had a problem with those bars where they would delaminate, so I would bet there are members with like new bars just laying there who could provide a tip for you.
Thanks buddy! Appreciate you taking the time to look!! Don’t really have a local dealer but I’ll ck some other places, thanks.

Latest posts

Back