Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I was unable to obtain a new tip for the 24" bar that came on my 044. Seems Stihl changed the design of it, but gave the new tip the same # with no way to order the older style tips. That bar is still in my shed!
I’m sure some 80 year old mom and pop dealer has a whole stack. Just keep looking!

Just caught the roofing comment. We rebuilt one of the wood racks. All oak lumber, top is plywood with rubber roofing on top and then metal roofing on top of that. Ready to go for another 20 years.
That's awesome, I like metal roofing on my outbuildings.
Soon as I finish splitting this last cord of wood and delivering it and one other I will start filling more by the shed(metal roof, at least one the front that people can see), then I plan on moving it and filling more to raise it up. Once thats done I'll move it back and shift it back a little to give me more room to back a trailer in there as its a bit tight.
Transmission finally died and I'm poor so its sitting. Taking a hard look at doing the 6 speed swap as it close to 1k cheap then redoing the auto and fixing all Fords factory mistakes. The chevy is my BIL and the yota is the FIL. The yota is a 2020 with less then 2k on it. First time its seen a load.
Bummer.
There is a guy not far from me who parts out rust free 99-newer fords, if you ever decide you want a new one ask and I'll see what he gets for them.
Not sure you know, I sold the suburban and scrounged up a 2000 excursion from Ohio that's rust free, what else you gonna do when your on lockdown. Well me and the boy went to Chicago to grab up a JDM 2.3 for the 98 Honda odyssey too.
Just turned 200k last week when I went to PA to pick up a trailer.
20201017_105156.jpg20201028_021329.jpg

You don't miss much, @chipper1 !
In a previous life I had a roofing company, it just stood out; during that life I also had a 99 f350 crew cab with the diesel, the main thing that goes out on the old 7.3 is the transmission so it was something I paid attention to also.
When you scan hundreds in not thousand of Craigslist ads in any given day you look at everything, amazing what you can learn from a picture. There are to many sheeple these days walking around with their eyes wide shut.
Speaking of that hows Andrews treating you guys, everything they said at event 201 about the plandemic is going as planned. I really feel for kiwi, that chic is more insane than our governor :oops:.

I’m sure some 80 year old mom and pop dealer has a whole stack. Just keep looking!

The problem is, because they kept the same part #s, people that have them may not even know it. The dealer I went to was a good one (not the closest one, or two, or three), and they could not get it!

The problem is, because they kept the same part #s, people that have them may not even know it. The dealer I went to was a good one (not the closest one, or two, or three), and they could not get it!
That's the worse, you think you have the right part coming, but then somewhere between the dealer and the supplier the number gets superseded and you end up getting the wrong part :rare2:. This is one of the reasons I like having somewhat newer saws, even a saw like the 550xp mk1 has had so many revisions the dealers don't know which parts to use without the serial number, and even then guys like us like to change everything up so who knows if they will be right or not.
Speaking of that, here's the saw I've been running that chain on. Its an early xtorq 372 chassis with a 365special cylinder and piston(closed port not the early open port :oops:), that has a base gasket delete and a mild muffler mod. Can you imagine a guy going in to order a new piston for it if it got scored using the serial number:badpc::laughing:.
Whoops, forgot the picture lol.
Look familiar @Duce.
Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 10.50.10 AM.png

Interesting.
Snap a picture of it next to the new style if you think about it/get a min, I'd like to see that one.

Here it is. The new tips are longer and, therefore, wider, even though the rivet pattern is the same.

This is the 24" bar I got on my 044 when new in Dec 1992.

I suppose you could modify a new tip to fit, but then you would need and odd link count chain.

I pretty much concluded that it was just easier to get a new E bar. FYI, Stihl seems to be discontinuing the E bars over 20". I like the 24/25" ones, they are light, have a wider tip than the 20" bars (they are yellow code), and they are not expensive. The tip cost almost as much as an E bar, and you have to install it!

Wholesalers still have them, but supply is limited. Act now if you want one.

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_104428780_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_104428780_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Here it is. The new tips are longer and, therefore, wider, even though the rivet pattern is the same.

I suppose you could modify a new tip to fit, but then you would need and odd link count chain.

I pretty much concluded that it was just easier to get a new E bar. FYI, Stihl seems to be discontinuing the E bars over 20". I like the 24/25" ones, they are light, have a wider tip than the 20" bars (they are yellow code), and they are not expensive. The tip cost almost as much as an E bar, and you have to install it!

Interesting.
How many drivers is that bar.
Don't recall owning a 24" stihl E bar, now I'll probably find one downstairs lol.
I do have a brand new 24" es bar, just in case it's needed, so I probably will be alright without ordering one of those.

Speaking of that hows Andrews treating you guys, everything they said at event 201 about the plandemic is going as planned. I really feel for kiwi, that chic is more insane than our governor :oops:.

Well, the continued mask wearing is fun. Never mind that we haven't had a confirmed case within a 100 mile radius for three months. The thing is that it is the Federal government picking up most of the tab for the economic devastation so Andrews doesn't care about that. Can't wait to see the numbers when they eventually come out. My family has been lucky, our physio practice has been largely unaffected but I feel for those that have lost their livelihood in all this.

There are so many silly little inconsistent rules too. Example - played cricket yesterday (and they go to great pains to tell us that playing cricket in a pandemic is a privilege not a right :nofunny: ). We have designated entry and exit points to the pavilion area. You scan your QR code when you come in, then players can take their masks off since the QR code is covid protective for players. But it only works for the players, so other club members have to keep theirs on. So you have one person who has to remain masked up sitting next to another person who doesn't have to. Spectators aren't allowed in the pavilion area (masked or not) because that is JUST NOT SAFE. They have to stay outside the roped off pavilion area. Now, they can sit next to you on the other side of the rope because that's ok. The umpire has to wear a mask on field too (that'll be fun when the temps hit 100° Merican).

Then there's the ball. To be covid-safe, the ball needs to wiped down with an alcohol based wipe every 10 overs (6 balls/pitches in an over, so 60 in total, takes about 40 minutes give or take). Never mind that every player is likely to have touched the ball within 5 minutes. But some chair shiner somewhere decided that they needed to be seen to be doing something even if it is stupid. I can go on but you get the idea.

Well, the continued mask wearing is fun. Never mind that we haven't had a confirmed case within a 100 mile radius for three months. The thing is that it is the Federal government picking up most of the tab for the economic devastation so Andrews doesn't care about that. Can't wait to see the numbers when they eventually come out. My family has been lucky, our physio practice has been largely unaffected but I feel for those that have lost their livelihood in all this.

There are so many silly little inconsistent rules too. Example - played cricket yesterday (and they go to great pains to tell us that playing cricket in a pandemic is a privilege not a right :nofunny: ). We have designated entry and exit points to the pavilion area. You scan your QR code when you come in, then players can take their masks off since the QR code is covid protective for players. But it only works for the players, so other club staff have to keep theirs on. So you have one person who has to remain masked up sitting next to another person who doesn't have to. Spectators aren't allowed in the pavilion area (masked or not) because that is JUST NOT SAFE. They have to stay outside the roped off pavilion area. Now, they can sit next to you on the other side of the rope because that's ok. The umpire has to wear a mask on field too (that'll be fun when the temps hit 100° Merican).

Then there's the ball. To be covid-safe, the ball needs to wiped down with an alcohol based wipe every 10 overs (6 balls/pitches in an over, so 60 in total, takes about 40 minutes give or take). Never mind that every player is likely to have touched the ball within 5 minutes. But some chair shiner somewhere decided that they needed to be seen to be doing something even if it is stupid. I can go on but you get the idea.
Sorry to hear all that, the big lie of the yr.
The next one is currently taking place here in the states ;).
Can't imagine what kiwi is going through there.

They are the same link count (24" became 25" w/o any changes. The real reason is so you won't notice the 28" is really a 27").

20" is 72 count, 24" 84 count (+12) but 28" is only a 91 count (+7). That tells you all you need to know, 24/25 gives you most of what a 28" (27") is.
Yeah, a bigger "blade" is better.
Just as above so much in this world is about perception.
Not sure I told you guys about this. During lockdown I went to Chicago to pick up a motor, half the guys had a mask on sometimes, the others didn't. The guy lifts another guy up on a pallet to the top shelf where my engine was(about 12-14') with a hi-lo, the guy on the pallet has no safety gear whatsoever, he's up there messing with his mask, like it's gonna matter when his heads cracked open on the concrete :dumb: . But I'm glad the mask made him feel better :rare2:.
The great deception!

The ES is supposed to be the most rugged bar, but it is also the heaviest. The E bars were laminated, but much lighter, and no replaceable tip. Now that they are making ES Light bars of all sizes (used to be just 28" and longer) they are discontinuing the 24" E bars (still make them in 20" I believe), but the 20" E bar has the more narrow "green" tip profile.

A 362 or 044/440 will balance MUCH better with a 20" E bar than a 20" ES bar. If you go into a Stihl saw shop and pull one off the rack with each bar (at the same time) the difference is dramatic, the ES bar saw will tilt far forward, but not the E bar saw.

I keep my chains sharp and use good bar oil, so I don't ruin bars unless I do something stupid! Be careful when felling trees with a sideways lean away from you!

Be careful when felling trees with a sideways lean away from you!
Especially when you're cutting the low side of the gun to get them to swing, no names :innocent:.

I saw this the other day(tractor supply companies website Black Friday brochure iirc), may serve someone well.
Not sure you will actually get them for this price, but if you need them it's worth a try.

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 9.10.02 AM.png

New husky chain for comparison, out with the old and in with the more expensive :envy: is what it looks like. I think the above price might have been suppose to read $13. X-cut chain is pretty nice chain, but most won't know the difference.

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 9.11.10 AM.png

Looks like a Sandvik/Windsor to me.

1604785651722.jpeg1604785601091.jpeg
1604785695526.jpeg
1604785735788.jpeg
had a tropical storm go through a couple weeks back. Bunch of wood next to the road in my sister’s neighborhood. I can get a small dump truck of wood, about two cords, deliver to my yard for 50 bucks so I don’t scroung as much but I really wanted some of this. Got my f150 about loaded as I think it can take in that picture.

Latest posts

Back