Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a bunch, and some pre-sets, spin it into a mini-reel, then make low pro loops the lengths you need.

I did that with some narrow kerf (Type 90) stuff I got from a clearance bin at Sears several years ago.

Philbert
Not a bad idea if I was chasing cheap. For the time being I'm not in that mode, but life is subject to change at any moment.
I get great deals on stihl ps/ps3 chains, and when I'm running the saws that run it most times I'm making money and want it to be the fastest/most durable it can be, so I don't mind paying a bit more. I can't remember exactly what I got my last one for, but it was like 9 or 11. This dealer doesn't sharpen chains, they do an exchange, so you get a discount on a new chain when you give them your old one. Works great for me.

Found a chunk of scrounged highly valuable black walnut in my firewood stacks to use as gift wrapping for my brother's Christmas present. It got dark before I finished the second half last night so I have a little more to work on today. Now that my wife has seen it I'm not 100% sure it will make it to my brother. ;)
20201107_150416.jpg20201107_150532.jpg20201107_150553.jpg

By the looks of that bottle, you better finish the carving fast, or you'll be gifting whomever an empty one.
How do you think I finished carving it? LOL. Might have to go get a couple more bottles of different wines, you know, just to make sure it can fit various bottles...

Load # 5

Little bit of sassafras, maple, oak

d8c97b4375b94717500042d1b90de0df.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Next thing you're gonna say wrap your thumb around the bar too.
I've been called out for that one many times :yes:.

The Forest Service is quick to gig for that. I volunteer with them, and have a chainsaw card. You can‘t run a chainsaw with them without one. They say your thumb around the handle is to keep your hand on in case of kickback, so it sets the brake. Otherwise that running bar is coming right for your head. Makes sense to me, it was a hard habit to break when I first started volunteering with them.

Why though? So you find it all uncomfortable? Chaps are hot in the summer yes but maybe to be warm in the winter. Gloves I find add some comfort. Eye wear can mist up, I get that, and helmets can be sweaty, but East defenders are generally comfy. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to a bit of minor discomfort

Latest posts

Back