Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't go having blokes getting sore backs! Here's a couple o pics.

Wait, were you expecting new pics :laugh:
Well, you can get away with that a few times, but it always catches up to you. @dancan has not been posting in quite a while about spruce scores from the undisclosed location either.

OK, OK, I'll go out before dinner and get you'se guys a little motivation. Be back shortly...20201114_153033.jpg20201114_153627.jpg20201114_154820.jpg20201114_155520.jpg20201114_160208.jpg20201114_160533.jpg

Well, you can get away with that a few times, but it always catches up to you. @dancan has not been posting in quite a while about spruce scores from the undisclosed location either.

OK, OK, I'll go out before dinner and get you'se guys a little motivation. Be back shortly...
Sorry, I haven't been following the source of your loads. Bark looks like Bk. Locust, but the wood doesn't seem to be right color. Could be photos or not BL at all. Just curious. Haven't run into any BL in a long while and the loads into the two yards have stopped coming. Oh O! There a local grinding place that make commercial mulch. I hope the tree guy isn't taking everything there now. Don't know if the mulch place charges for dumping or pays for the logs.

Sorry, I haven't been following the source of your loads. Bark looks like Bk. Locust, but the wood doesn't seem to be right color. Could be photos or not BL at all. Just curious. Haven't run into any BL in a long while and the loads into the two yards have stopped coming. Oh O! There a local grinding place that make commercial mulch. I hope the tree guy isn't taking everything there now. Don't know if the mulch place charges for dumping or pays for the logs.
Yep, it sure is black locust. It has a slight yellow tint in person that maybe doesn't show up well in the pics. This is almost the last of the big load earlier this year from my new best friend at the tree service doing work 1/2 mile down the road. 2 dump trailers and a dump truck full - probably 3+ cord in all. Black locust, English walnut, and a little spruce.

Boy, I hope your source hasn't dried up!

.....Boy, I hope your source hasn't dried up!
Luckily I don't really need any more right now. I'm two maybe three years ahead. Went a little crazy this Spring with nothing to do. But I was thinking about selling a load or two next year to pay for CAD treatments. So I'll be cutting as long as my 2WD can get in the lots. Later it'll be too muddy.
I haven't talked to the tree guy in a while; he's always so busy. But I think he or a worker has been cutting at each site. So I've been staying away for a while. Unless some Cherry (which I sell, BBQ) or of course Bk Locust comes in.

The wind snapped a sugar maple in half recently I guess. I took Binford out to tune her up a bit, as I had her a touch lean the last time I was out. Went ahead and fell the main trunk, then bucked her up as I played with the carb settings. Man I can't get over how well that saw runs/cuts.

DB090D0C-398B-484E-8FA7-1500326E83C0.jpeg

Got her dialed in good now, so we'll see how the plug looks after I run a tank or so more through her. The EXL chain is still throwing good chips. Haven't touched her with a file yet. This chain definitely lasts longer than the vanguard I was running previously. I've bucked up Three or four decent hardwoods with it, including a dead ash log (which dry, dead ash seems to be hard in chain).

Excited to get my new saw, will be here Tuesday.

Went and cut a bunch of maple and ash down at the place that I posted pictures of awhile ago. They had lots a nice hardware there. My buddy and I cut most of the trees down, they did the winching and some trimming then cut up the logs to length. These are some of the saws we didn't use, I like to travel light. I also got picked up at work by the new Sheriff on Friday. He let me off with a warning after I bribed him with candy.

Attachments

• 20201114_113505.jpg
    20201114_113505.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20201114_113509.jpg
    20201114_113509.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20201114_113510.jpg
    20201114_113510.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34
  • 20201113_120600.jpg
    20201113_120600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
Can't go having blokes getting sore backs! Here's a couple o pics.

View attachment 868120

View attachment 868121

Wait, were you expecting new pics :laugh: ?

@turnkey4099 , it pains me to say it but many of my PT colleagues just aren't very good. There are some that are, however, and that all depends on their post-grad training. If you PM me your location there's a reasonable chance I can find one near you. The right exercise is specific to the back pain episode - which is why what worked for one guy often won't work for the next - and you need someone who has the training to identify that. In fact, even just based on what you have said, I could hazard a good guess at what exercise will be the one that will help you. If your PT had you doing several exercises, chances are they're barking up the wrong tree.

Thans, PM sent I hope. First one I have sent since the new format. This version seems to be rather unnecessarily awkward.

I know it’s SUPER early but the wife wanted to get an artificial tree this year and set up early.....That got me interested and the gears turning in my head.

Has anyone here ever set up a Christmas tree roadside lot? Google says there is money to be made. Just curious.

Attachments

• 8DF7CB6F-7EF7-4E23-B805-714B79976BD2.jpeg
    8DF7CB6F-7EF7-4E23-B805-714B79976BD2.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 15
I know it’s SUPER early but the wife wanted to get an artificial tree this year and set up early.....That got me interested and the gears turning in my head.

Has anyone here ever set up a Christmas tree roadside lot? Google says there is money to be made. Just curious.
Way too early...

Anyway, A guy from work buys a truckload of trees every year. They make a pretty good profit off of it.

The wind snapped a sugar maple in half recently I guess. I took Binford out to tune her up a bit, as I had her a touch lean the last time I was out. Went ahead and fell the main trunk, then bucked her up as I played with the carb settings. Man I can't get over how well that saw runs/cuts.

View attachment 868221

Got her dialed in good now, so we'll see how the plug looks after I run a tank or so more through her. The EXL chain is still throwing good chips. Haven't touched her with a file yet. This chain definitely lasts longer than the vanguard I was running previously. I've bucked up Three or four decent hardwoods with it, including a dead ash log (which dry, dead ash seems to be hard in chain).

Excited to get my new saw, will be here Tuesday.

Whats the new saw????

Back