Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First fire of the season. I think the secondary combustion system is working again thanks to my bro making the new inlet pipe.

The back plate is warped, so I'll probably have to buy that. One price was like $300 online. Hard to spend that much, maybe I should just buy a new stove next year? Decisions...

View attachment 867726
Bonus extra parts lol.
That's a nice looking stove.

Old age ain't fun but this is getting tiresome. 2 years ago, arthritis in L4/5, cured with spinal surgery - no afteraffects or restrictions.

Then the kidneyu failure last spring (allergic reaction to a Sulfa drug for an infection). Took 2 months before I couild even start a saw again.

Doc appointment yesterday. Pain in both thighs when I first get up in mornings and off and on all day. Bad. diagnosis "pinched nerve in lower spine" - appointment for an MRI again then referral to neurosurgeon.

Beginning to look like it's time to hang up the saws.

Old age ain't fun but this is getting tiresome. 2 years ago, arthritis in L4/5, cured with spinal surgery - no afteraffects or restrictions.

Then the kidneyu failure last spring (allergic reaction to a Sulfa drug for an infection). Took 2 months before I couild even start a saw again.

Doc appointment yesterday. Pain in both thighs when I first get up in mornings and off and on all day. Bad. diagnosis "pinched nerve in lower spine" - appointment for an MRI again then referral to neurosurgeon.

Don't overlook PT (no matter what they say). Two years ago they wanted to remove a disc from me, I told them no. I do my exercises every morning, and then I do whatever I want. Won't say nothing ever bothers me, but I don't have to stop doing what I'm doing! I run saws, split wood, lift logs, lift rounds, etc. I usually try to limit it to a few hours a day, if I push too hard I'll know it.

Neighbor is having a very large ‘hackberry’ tree removed. They have been concerned about it for some time. Said he saw ‘steam’ rising out of it when the weather turned cold. City says this means rot.

Anybody heard something like this?

Thanks.

Philbert
No, but maybe a squirrel peed in there :lol: .

Neighbor is having a very large ‘hackberry’ tree removed. They have been concerned about it for some time. Said he saw ‘steam’ rising out of it when the weather turned cold. City says this means rot.

Anybody heard something like this?

Thanks.

Philbert
Was it wet, cold out, full sun, steam rising off of tree. My garage has looked like that several times, wife and neighbor asked if it was on fire.

Every dog has his day but even an old dog will play a little bit. Just have to play within your limits and not try to do things you did 5-10 years ago.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

On the wood ID, I just downloaded the Picture This app and tried it on a split from the stack this morning. Said Honey Locust, I agreed and in the stove it went. It would have gone in the stove even if the app said aluminum, lol, but it was neat that it worked. Looking forward to trying it out some more.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Don't overlook PT (no matter what they say). Two years ago they wanted to remove a disc from me, I told them no. I do my exercises every morning, and then I do whatever I want. Won't say nothing ever bothers me, but I don't have to stop doing what I'm doing! I run saws, split wood, lift logs, lift rounds, etc. I usually try to limit it to a few hours a day, if I push too hard I'll know it.

Just finished a month of physical therapy. I'm not doing the exercises as they didn't seem to be accomplishing much...honestly, tho, just too lazy.

Well, I wasn't trying to stalk them. LOL. Maybe you could check neighboring addresses for black locust and just go cut the trees down yourself and take whatever you want! ;)
If you put your address in an ad...
Saw a scope on CL yesterday, the guy had his address in the ad. I sent him a message letting him know it's not the best idea, he thanked me, and then deleted it. I try not to give people my address until they are leaving to come here, when people pull down our drive I want to know who it is, it's not a good idea to pull down if I don't know you.
I have so much locust here between what's on our property and the neighbors, it would probably last me 5 yrs burning just that :clap:.
I try not to bring any green wood home, would like to reduce the piles to only that which can be split and sold or go right into the woodshed.

Well got some white stuff yesterday 8EEA432E-51C5-4D07-9D76-BB4403142471.jpeg
Looked little better last weekend ; )04F91001-DBC7-4A18-A229-C10A1632BD81.jpeg
Having chainsaw withdrawals, logger broke down so no cutting yesterday, was too windy anyway. Think something is missing ....8A34CB71-6CE7-4BD1-B1C4-9DD90BF9DE6E.jpeg
More time for hunting now, getting hard to get around though and supposed to get another 6-8” tonight. Got caught up on “winterizing” stuff so probably head out in a bit to look for a whitetail or cow elk.

My back was starting to get sore from holding up the thread today. I've been waiting on @Cowboy254 for reinforcement.

Can't go having blokes getting sore backs! Here's a couple o pics.

16th Nov1.jpg

24th Nov 4.jpg

Wait, were you expecting new pics :laugh: ?

@turnkey4099 , it pains me to say it but many of my PT colleagues just aren't very good. There are some that are, however, and that all depends on their post-grad training. If you PM me your location there's a reasonable chance I can find one near you. The right exercise is specific to the back pain episode - which is why what worked for one guy often won't work for the next - and you need someone who has the training to identify that. In fact, even just based on what you have said, I could hazard a good guess at what exercise will be the one that will help you. If your PT had you doing several exercises, chances are they're barking up the wrong tree.

Well got some white stuff yesterday ....More time for hunting now, ..... head out in a bit to look for a whitetail or cow elk.
Some? That's a major snowstorm for the St Louis area. People are having crashes all over the interstate because they're idiots in the way they drive and the weather people are running around with excitement like chickens with their heads cut off.

Always good to be able to get out and hunt.

Back