Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the 220 swift shooting out a barrel is a myth. Be tough to shoot that much. I shot my first deer with a savage in 22-250. Not my first choice for deer but I will always have a bit of a love affair with the 22-250.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I purchased a Savage 112V in 1975 brand new, used it to hunt everything from rock chucks to Thompson's ground squirrels for almost 30 years. During that time I burned the chamber leade out of 5 barrels. If you load the Swift to 22-250 velocities it'll out last the 22-250, but when loaded to it's full potential it LIKES TO EAT BARRELS. If you are very careful about shot string length and keeping the barrel cool it's normally good for 2,000 rounds of useable accuracy. As the old saying goes: if you load a Swift down, you should've got a 22-250.

It’s a Savage Axis with a 6-24 power scope. I sighted it in this afternoon and it was a couple inches off at 100 yards. Now dead on, at least as accurate as I could shoot off the hood of the truck.

Factory loaded 55 grain soft point fiocchi right now. I’d like to do some handloads with the new 35gr bullet which advertises 4450 FPS!!!

I looked at a few guns and this was a screaming deal. The shop I bought it from also had a Remington 700 target as well as a Winchester M70 with a custom stock. Unfortunately I didn’t care for the feel of the custom stock as there was too much material on the comb which caused an unnatural feeling when trying to sight your eye. I’m not going to pay 800 bucks for a gun that immediately needs a new stock or significant rework!! I do love the model 70 action though.

I didn’t want to spend a lot as a varmint gun only gets out a few times a year for me.
What kind of range are you going to be shooting that you need a 6x24 scope. I have three 3x14x50. I seldom raise the magnification above 5. My Athlon 3x14x50 is probably the clearest scope I have ever looked thru at 1200yrds, better than the leupold varix3. I can make out the bark on trees with either one. The christmastree cross hairs and FFP on the athlon Is what gives it the edge over the leupol in my opinion.

I purchased a Savage 112V in 1975 brand new, used it to hunt everything from rock chucks to Thompson's ground squirrels for almost 30 years. During that time I burned the chamber leade out of 5 barrels. If you load the Swift to 22-250 velocities it'll out last the 22-250, but when loaded to it's full potential it LIKES TO EAT BARRELS. If you are very careful about shot string length and keeping the barrel cool it's normally good for 2,000 rounds of useable accuracy. As the old saying goes: if you load a Swift down, you should've got a 22-250.
I guess I was thinking locally, the places I have lived haven't had prairie dogs or ground squirrels. So varmint hunting and predator hunting numbers would be greatly reduced from other areas of North America. Hunting ground hogs and coyotes you'd be hard pressed to shoot more than a couple boxes a year unless you were target shooting a lot. I've never shot a swift so my opinions are based on conversations and reading and not actual experience.

I have 0 experience with the 22-250, but had a 220 swift for a short time, not knowing about it being a barrel burner I wasnt impressed with its accuracy. Ended up selling it off. Now I just stick to a .223/5.56 for varmet duty. My .223 wylde really likes the 55gr hornady v max ammo. Does a good job up to coyote sized game. Ground pigs around the house still get 22 mag. 40gr hp CCI. does quite a number on them.
I have 2 athlon scopes just got the second for my tikka. I'm really impressed with them for the cost. This one is a talos btr 4-12 x44. The illuminated reticle doesnt do anything for me, but the FFP is amazing once you get used to it.
20200702_214859.jpg

Went and bought a Christmas tree (hangs head in shame) and cut a Christmas cookie with the junkyard homelite. Pretty much the only thing I use this saw for. It's becoming a tradition.
8bd51958ad4d9efd4d1c036c2c5394ce.jpg

What kind of range are you going to be shooting that you need a 6x24 scope. I have three 3x14x50. I seldom raise the magnification above 5. My Athlon 3x14x50 is probably the clearest scope I have ever looked thru at 1200yrds, better than the leupold varix3. I can make out the bark on trees with either one. The christmastree cross hairs and FFP on the athlon Is what gives it the edge over the leupol in my opinion.
It’s too much scope but came on the gun! A 12 or 16 power max scope would have been fine with me. This one needs a lot of adjustment to be clear so I may downgrade to something that can pick up a target quicker. Or maybe night vision.

Gun, scope, and 40 rounds of ammunition was $370.

I have 0 experience with the 22-250, but had a 220 swift for a short time, not knowing about it being a barrel burner I wasnt impressed with its accuracy. Ended up selling it off. Now I just stick to a .223/5.56 for varmet duty. My .223 wylde really likes the 55gr hornady v max ammo. Does a good job up to coyote sized game. Ground pigs around the house still get 22 mag. 40gr hp CCI. does quite a number on them.
I have 2 athlon scopes just got the second for my tikka. I'm really impressed with them for the cost. This one is a talos btr 4-12 x44. The illuminated reticle doesnt do anything for me, but the FFP is amazing once you get used to it.
View attachment 872204
I had a 223 for many years. We used to go out to the dakotas to shoot prairie dogs which was fun. The 223 was very accurate but with the long/heavy barrel I used it very little.

I change mine every 10,000 miles but i run schaeffer's oil in my truck.

Schaeffers is great oil. Pao and group3 based.

Redline is ester and PAO[emoji6][emoji16]

Schaeffers may possibly have a bit of ester in it as an “additive” as esters help keep additives in suspension in a PAO based oil.

My uncle drives a truck for a living and runs Schaeffers and uses their UOA program. He is running well ovet 30,000 miles per OCI on that oil.

Either way GREAT oil choices man!

I do 6months or 8,000 on redline 5w40 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. Usually 8,000 comes first though.

If your interested get a UOA done by Blackstone or Polaris. Pay the extra to get a TBN number on your used oil to. It will give you a good idea on your how well your oil is fighting corrosion before you change it. .....among many other things.

I stop at 3tbn because most guys dont know about TAN levels. They are the counter part to TBN (total base number). As your TBN goes down TAN levels go up. Tan causes corrosion and when the 2 levels get close to their meeting point your oil is done. That happens to average around 3 tbn. But its not set in stone so 3 gives ya a bit of security.

Sorry for blabbering. Just being helpful[emoji16][emoji6]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Schaeffers is great oil. Pao and group3 based.

Redline is ester and PAO[emoji6][emoji16]

Schaeffers may possibly have a bit of ester in it as an “additive” as esters help keep additives in suspension in a PAO based oil.

My uncle drives a truck for a living and runs Schaeffers and uses their UOA program. He is running well ovet 30,000 miles per OCI on that oil.

Either way GREAT oil choices man!

I do 6months or 8,000 on redline 5w40 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. Usually 8,000 comes first though.

If your interested get a UOA done by Blackstone or Polaris. Pay the extra to get a TBN number on your used oil to. It will give you a good idea on your how well your oil is fighting corrosion before you change it. .....among many other things.

I stop at 3tbn because most guys dont know about TAN levels. They are the counter part to TBN (total base number). As your TBN goes down TAN levels go up. Tan causes corrosion and when the 2 levels get close to their meeting point your oil is done. That happens to average around 3 tbn. But its not set in stone so 3 gives ya a bit of security.

Sorry for blabbering. Just being helpful[emoji16][emoji6]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
I send a oil analogist to wix and my TBN is usually around 2 when i change it. I also use Hastings filters as well my truck has close to 300,000 and has never had any major work done beside distributor replacement and intake gaskets.

Back