Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a modern (well, Belgian made) BAR, a sporterized 03A3, and a M1 Garand. Unfortunately I only have a couple hundred rounds of ‘06 ammo.

Good thing that I’ve got a lot of ammo for my 308 chambered guns because the 06’s would be out quickly if SHTF and I need to protect all of my non gun owning AS buddies from Minnesota.

Did something today I didnt think I would ever do. I talked a buddy out of building a wood splitter. I let him use mine a month or so ago and he decided he wanted to build one like mine. He was looking for advice on how big, what kind of metal, hydraulic questions, etc. I told him to come over to my house and lets see what I have he could use. I have a 5inch cyl, a ton of different size new hoses, some metal to make wedges out of I offered to give him. We discussed what he wanted to do and I asked him what parts did he have available and how much money he had to spend. Well he had saved about $800 and his plans was to buy a new hbeam and pump and motor and, and, and!!! I said stop and think about it a little bit, are you planning on selling firewood or just splitting for your own use. Just for personal use, dont have time for a firewood business he said. I asked if he had looked at the TSC splitters, answers yes, but they want $2000 for one. Then I slapped him in the face with a "How much you think all the new parts are going to cost you to build your splitter." I built my splitter out of scrounged parts that where free or almost free. There are things I dont like about my splitter, but I plan on making changes in the future. There are things you wont like about the splitter you build and you will endup making changes in the future as well. Buy the TSC splitter and take the money you save over buying parts and building your own and make the changes you want to it. You can buy a new splitter now, gas it up, and be splitting wood before dark. If you decide to build, you are going to have days of work and time waiting on parts and your wood still wont be split.
I've had my TSC 22 ton for at least ten years and I was so happy with it I recommended it to any one looking for a homeowner size splitter. Then last year the seal on the ram started leaking bad. I picked up a brand new Briggs for it at an auction for $25. I was trying to get time to put the seal and new engine on it. But, my shed where I was going to work on it was full, and it kept raining. So, I pushed it out of the way, Then I was out of town for a few days. I had left my trailer with the loader on it in the back yard while I was gone. Got home, hooked up the trailer, with the splitter on the blind side, and pulled off. I saw something red fly up in the air over the side of the trailer. I hooked it with the fender and flipped it over and bent the tongue in half. Went over to TSC, the 30 ton was on sale for $1399 from $1599, with a Kohler Command 9.5 HP. It's twice the machine the 22 is. It has some new features on it too, a nicer log cradle comes on it. The leg does not have a pin on it to fold up. The 22 ton you had to pick the tongue up, pull the pin, fold the leg and get the pin back through the hole. The new 30 ton has a foot pedal you push and a release you pull with your hand and a spring just snaps it up. Much easier. If this one should last the rest of my life. I abused the little 22 ton after a couple years, never covered it, and such. This one I've started off treating it better, I recommend it too.

Congrats!

Thanks! Been too lazy to put my west coast kit on. Be just like you ;)
I sure like the wrap handles (and big dawgs) especially the warm onesBC98C74B-B2EC-4F11-9887-CF2C23C4319D.jpeg
Might need to barrow Brett’s pressure washer it’s pretty dirty now and has an appointment for more power. Had a hard time deciding weather to send the 462 or 572 off to get ported but sounds like amount of gains per dollar is more with 572, at least it will have the power to match its weight now.

I have a modern (well, Belgian made) BAR, a sporterized 03A3, and a M1 Garand. Unfortunately I only have a couple hundred rounds of ‘06 ammo.

Good thing that I’ve got a lot of ammo for my 308 chambered guns because the 06’s would be out quickly if SHTF and I need to protect all of my non gun owning AS buddies from Minnesota.
I would have to agree, I think the 06 is great. Had one in a Winchester feather weight with fiberglass stock. Really liked that rifle, fit good, pointed well, just one of those guns you always grab first if you have a lot of choices (I didn’t) sure wish I’d have kept it.EFDED98B-0B40-4335-AB76-C887145D15BC.jpeg
Few years ago, lol.

There is always reget selling something down the road, no matter what it is. Sold my 30hp skid steer about 7 years ago, who would have guessed that prices on those used would be 4 x that now. sold 8000 ( and that was what I paid for it many years before) avg price i see now is 30,000 same unit similar hours or more. Was strapped for funds so a few things had to go. About the same time sold my AR15 for what I had into it, ok by me as I have other 223 units. Pricing on those are more volatile , I see they are jumping up again- no brainer as to why. Might be a good time to move the Israeli unit.

I sure like the wrap handles (and big dawgs) especially the warm onesView attachment 881000
Might need to barrow Brett’s pressure washer it’s pretty dirty now and has an appointment for more power. Had a hard time deciding weather to send the 462 or 572 off to get ported but sounds like amount of gains per dollar is more with 572, at least it will have the power to match its weight now.
I know we cut a little different wood but mine was ported by @huskihl and it pulls a 28" full comp through hard woods like a hot knife through butter. Best part is that it's just getting broken in. Pretty impressed so far.

I would have to agree, I think the 06 is great. Had one in a Winchester feather weight with fiberglass stock. Really liked that rifle, fit good, pointed well, just one of those guns you always grab first if you have a lot of choices (I didn’t) sure wish I’d have kept it.View attachment 881008
Few years ago, lol.
Great old school pic! Is that a Yota?

I get a lot of oak down here and according to the weight charts live oak 20” in diameter is 166lbs a foot. I stopped and looked at one the other day 48” in diameter this lady was telling me how they were going to move it I laughed guess she didn’t know that’s like 450 lb a foot
This one is going to be milled . 34 + inch diameter and 14 ft long white oak cant lift it with my fel ,not even one end. Going to use my friends excavator to get it into my dump trailer I estimate around 4800 lbs . Cut in may of 2020 20210108_165800.jpg20210108_165807.jpg

Not as good as your piece but after I get my shop up and running i plan on turning these into coffee tables
Looks good to me I have some shorter pieces for smaller projects
Oak does make some nice furniture … especially for the Hunting cabin!
Cant wait for the wood to dry to start making things . Figure a year and a half at least . Got some that's been drying all summer B056FA20-E353-4188-A99F-537E04DC157E.jpeg70614773-B4D1-4AE0-9C12-03C2B939B4C6.jpeg

Looks good to me I have some shorter pieces for smaller projects

Cant wait for the wood to dry to start making things . Figure a year and a half at least . Got some that's been drying all summer View attachment 881122
4/4 lumber? You were still going to put in a kiln after air drying?

Latest posts

Back