Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In MN we will frequently see "project cars" listed in the dead of winter and half of the car is covered in snow. Someone had a VW beetle for sale and all you could see was the windshield and part of the drivers fender.

Or you get the pics of a car taken in the dark and you cannot even discern what color it is.
Here's one for you.
No, it's not mine:laughing:.
@muad I think this was in Cleveland :p.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.39.41 PM.png

Really? I have a hard time seeing a pressure washer do that, guess it’s possible with a really old saw and loose bolts. I used to take my saws to the car wash once in while and know of several other guys that did, never heard of or had a problem. Always ran them for a bit afterwards to dry things out. I’m sure some pressure washers are quite a bit stronger than car wash ones too.
You making jokes about huskys again :oops::lol:.
Wait, I thought you didn't clean your saws :laugh:.
I know my pressure washer will tear some stuff up.

Drone vid my brother took of our last firewood scrounging of the season
Ready to go again, having withdrawals already, lol.

Awesome.

Sorry for the hash up of the quotes. Dunno what happened and can't delete. Anyhow:

About 3 years ago I lucked into a big oak in a farmers field. They are not nativehere and that one was probably planted by the first settler. I go 3 1/2 cord out of nothing but the top. Base log was 4 1/2' butt and 20' long down to around 36" diameter. It was so heavy that I was glad to leave the base log. Worked up the top, split/piled, dried 2 years. So heavy that black locust almost felt light. I finally sold all 3 cord for $260. Probably should have been aroung $300 but no one around here has any idea of oak. I was glad to get rid of it as it was just too heavy to conveniently feed the fire.
I get a lot of oak down here and according to the weight charts live oak 20” in diameter is 166lbs a foot. I stopped and looked at one the other day 48” in diameter this lady was telling me how they were going to move it I laughed guess she didn’t know that’s like 450 lb a foot

Weather man is saying 4 to 8 inches of snow tonite. Wife makes me fill the kero can and fill the truck with gas. Got a full tank on the generator and 10gal of gas extra. Got 2 30lb propane bottles full for the propane heater, and even have a little rick of fire wood. My generator will pull the heat pump and the lights, but not much else. I know you northern folks dont frett a little 4-8 inch dusting of the white stuff, but down here that much snow is called a blizzard. Probably take us a week to dig out. Got to go to the store and get the milk and bread.
I feel your pain, spent almost 350 on; propane, diesel for the tractors and filed 5 gallon tanks, gas for the truck, and ethanol free for the saws.
Then I spent a bunch at secretary of state, and my wife spent a boat load on groceries :envy:, hope we get that 600 soon ;).
4-8 of fluff is great here in our michigan mountains, in real mountains or when it's sloppy, not good.
I lived in Nashville(TN), they got 2" and it was great to me in my 78 cutlas. I saw a lot of accidents:popcorn2: before they had a state of emergency :oops:.
Be safe, but kick a few donuts for me :happy:.
Ever seen this video, things get bad quick when you have steeps, ice and people who probably shouldn't be out :crazy2:

I used to have a ‘turbo nozzle’ that would cut holes through plywood!

Some of this depends on how much power, how close, and common sense.

Philbert
The rotary nozzle I had burned up pretty quick, little too much power at 4000psi and 4 gallons a min, the neighbor has a 4000/8 :surprised3:.
I have to be careful with mine, it's will strip most decals right off if you're close enough to clean well. Usually when they come off I can put them right back on because it lifts the whole sticker/decal. It likes to eat wood too. I just did the 20' aluminum trailer since I'm wanting to sell it, and I tore up a couple spots, but it was real clean when I was done lol.

I just bought a 3000 psi/3.2 gallon. Good enough for my limited use.
It's nice having something rather than feeding the machine a handful quarters.
I just sold my last one and upgraded to another with a newer 13hp Honda :rock:, my old one was an earlier 11hp, but it had a brand new pump on it that was a little smaller in dimensions than this one. The bummer is the one I have will need seals(maybe a piston kit too) even though it does great right now it leaks a good bit.

Did something today I didnt think I would ever do. I talked a buddy out of building a wood splitter. I let him use mine a month or so ago and he decided he wanted to build one like mine. He was looking for advice on how big, what kind of metal, hydraulic questions, etc. I told him to come over to my house and lets see what I have he could use. I have a 5inch cyl, a ton of different size new hoses, some metal to make wedges out of I offered to give him. We discussed what he wanted to do and I asked him what parts did he have available and how much money he had to spend. Well he had saved about $800 and his plans was to buy a new hbeam and pump and motor and, and, and!!! I said stop and think about it a little bit, are you planning on selling firewood or just splitting for your own use. Just for personal use, dont have time for a firewood business he said. I asked if he had looked at the TSC splitters, answers yes, but they want $2000 for one. Then I slapped him in the face with a "How much you think all the new parts are going to cost you to build your splitter." I built my splitter out of scrounged parts that where free or almost free. There are things I dont like about my splitter, but I plan on making changes in the future. There are things you wont like about the splitter you build and you will endup making changes in the future as well. Buy the TSC splitter and take the money you save over buying parts and building your own and make the changes you want to it. You can buy a new splitter now, gas it up, and be splitting wood before dark. If you decide to build, you are going to have days of work and time waiting on parts and your wood still wont be split.

Ever seen this video, things get bad quick when you have steeps, ice and people who probably shouldn't be out :crazy2:

Been in a couple of those skateing rings before. Maybe not quite that bad, but bad enough you need clean drawers when you get home.

Ok let's stop talking about mother nature and her bad hair days.
Got a nice load today, from my mates house. He was even nice enough to come out and help load one chunk. Lol.
20210107_171355.jpg
Pic is at my place unloading it. Tomorrow, I have enough time to stop and grab another load. Hoping the weather holds out, as hes having a few more trees dropped over the next month. Birch, and (possibly) a decent sized oak. I should be able to winch them on my trailer if he listens to me and get the guys to put the trunks out in his front side yard.
Side note, I got to play with my isocore maul, wow its dandy. Think I like it better then my Wilton, and I really like my wilton.

I just bought a 3000 psi/3.2 gallon. Good enough for my limited use.
The one I bought was of similar capacity: Northern Tool with a consumer Honda engine. I bought it, along with the Turbo nozzle, to see if I could strip the peeling paint off cedar shakes on my house. Ended up re-siding instead, so I sold it (limited space). I would not mind a good quality electric pressure washer for occasional use in the city.

Philbert

Sorry for the hash up of the quotes. Dunno what happened and can't delete. Anyhow:
About 3 years ago I lucked into a big oak in a farmers field. They are not nativehere and that one was probably planted by the first settler. I go 3 1/2 cord out of nothing but the top. Base log was 4 1/2' butt and 20' long down to around 36" diameter. It was so heavy that I was glad to leave the base log. Worked up the top, split/piled, dried 2 years. So heavy that black locust almost felt light. I finally sold all 3 cord for $260. Probably should have been aroung $300 but no one around here has any idea of oak. I was glad to get rid of it as it was just too heavy to conveniently feed the fire.

Did somebody say oak? LOL! Worked up a few logs today. This one is about 25". Think the one on the left was 28". Pretty medium sized for what we get around here. Get a bunch of bur oak in the 36"-46" range. View attachment 880873
Nice saw! : )
I get a lot of oak down here and according to the weight charts live oak 20” in diameter is 166lbs a foot. I stopped and looked at one the other day 48” in diameter this lady was telling me how they were going to move it I laughed guess she didn’t know that’s like 450 lb a foot
Dang nasty heavy oak! Lol
Speaking of weight, gave my notice at work, going to work full time for the firewood/ logger guy, feel like a 25” oak round been lifted off me.

Nice saw! : )

Dang nasty heavy oak! Lol
Speaking of weight, gave my notice at work, going to work full time for the firewood/ logger guy, feel like a 25” oak round been lifted off me.
Congrats!

Thanks! Been too lazy to put my west coast kit on. Be just like you ;)

This depends on where you live. Most states have a National Fore
Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
st or 2. I live in Va and got got my permit to harvest dead/down wood. It was $20, and is good for 1 year from date of issue. I think the limit is 8 cords, which is a pretty good volume of wood. I and my wife went yesterday and got about 1/3 of a pickup load. It was more of an exploratory trip than a production effort. There's a lot of stuff available! I got pole wood, it's quick and I can cut it to length when I'm bored...lol. Also, check with local tree services, they may have some for cheap or even free. Craigslist is a source sometimes. That's hit or miss at best. When you get there it may be a bushel basket full, a brush pile, or several pickup loads. Happy scrounging!

Back