Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch on the ammo prices! When I got my Mdl 71 (348 Winchester) in the early 70s in the Western tier of NY, new ammo was in the $20+/box category.

At the time, NYS had gone mostly Shotgun only for Deer, so I scoured small hardware stores, etc. and found good amounts of it that had been on the shelf for years.

The typical line from the guy behind the counter was "I don't know what it is supposed to go for now, but it has been here so long I'll sell it to you for what is marked on the box".

I picked up a lot of it for under $10/box, often 3 or 4 boxes at a time.
That’s awesome

I believe I mentioned the guy locally here that used to say he was going to sell me his 300 plus gun collection but never would. He had 348. As well as a .351 Winchester self loading (the model and caliber used to kill Bonnie and Clyde). I wish he had thrown me prices.

We have been scouring the classifieds for weeks to find decent snowmobiles. Fairly priced sleds move quickly up until mid January. By mid February you can’t give a sled away. I told the boys to be patient after we missed out on several good ones. And sure enough in the last week the market has slowed up a lot.

3/4 of the sleds on the market either have a zillion miles, need work, or are beat to death. I’ve had enough basket cases to not want to wrench on sleds continuously. And with needing multiple sleds for the kids, that makes finding gently used ones even more imperative.
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a used sled around here. Between the lack of snow for trail riding and lack of safe ice on the big lakes the market is flooded with them. I dumped a little over $300 in to my old beater 2-up indy and I really wish I would have parted it and upgraded to a newer sled instead.

Scrounged this up from my neighbor Saturday. Older non EPA stove. My mom dated the guy that started this co in high school. They made woodstoves till the EPA got involved. Several of my wood customer's Stihl use them and it's the brand I use in the shop.. They sell anywhere from 3-6 hundred dollars on CL and marketplace. This one is set up to be boiler. After my original neighbor sold another guy moved in and started using the stove with unseasoned wood. Check out the creosote on the door. He moved out and the new people have a pellet stove. Probably a $2 grand stove when new. Used ones sell for $4-500 or more. Free is gooder. :rock2: View attachment 884776View attachment 884777View attachment 884778
I bought one of those at an auction last year for $10. The blower on mine is shot though. Thought I got a smoking deal, but you got me beat! I posted it on here to find out some info and was told it is called a baker double eagle. Mine is setting in the shed. Haven't decided whether to clean it up, paint, and sell it, or keep it for the day I hopefully build a bigger garage and need a bigger stove than the one I have in my current garage.

Spent a couple hours cleaning the 036 I recently acquired. It’s been in my wife’s family since new (slightly before I came in the picture) and was covered in pitch when I bought it. Crazy what a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush can do, lol. This chain is almost done so I’ll buy a new one this week and try to find time to go cut :)

Attachments

• C4848CD5-4FF5-49C9-93CE-75F066086B08.jpeg
    C4848CD5-4FF5-49C9-93CE-75F066086B08.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 0EC97869-5747-4CD5-BD8F-6A0E8A922049.jpeg
    0EC97869-5747-4CD5-BD8F-6A0E8A922049.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 6EBC7FDD-CE66-4715-9F92-B77DC83AB38C.jpeg
    6EBC7FDD-CE66-4715-9F92-B77DC83AB38C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • E33B6C89-85D4-4FDE-81CF-EF1AE2E60F55.jpeg
    E33B6C89-85D4-4FDE-81CF-EF1AE2E60F55.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • CA9F5221-08EE-4E94-8B79-813C39D5002F.jpeg
    CA9F5221-08EE-4E94-8B79-813C39D5002F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 6533848D-BA30-4B76-9BB5-2BFCF2F22542.jpeg
    6533848D-BA30-4B76-9BB5-2BFCF2F22542.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
Very light snow today, Temp just above freezing, no wind. Moving a small rick of maple from where it is to the 'next season' stack. Needs to move as I want to start splitting the big pile of locust rounds and put the splits where the maple was.

Had tree service out yesterday to grind out the stump left from that maple tree - they removed the tree 3 years ago. I now have room for around 4-5 cord of locust splits.

I bought one of those at an auction last year for $10. The blower on mine is shot though. Thought I got a smoking deal, but you got me beat! I posted it on here to find out some info and was told it is called a baker double eagle. Mine is setting in the shed. Haven't decided whether to clean it up, paint, and sell it, or keep it for the day I hopefully build a bigger garage and need a bigger stove than the one I have in my current garage.
I just bought a back up blower for mine in the shop. Cheap China was around $70 and made in USA was almost $100. USA for the win. The baker shop was about 15 minutes from me and that's where I would get my gaskets. To bad they are closed now. The one I have in my shop is a Falcon model. 1 big door. They also made a single eagle that wood take stuff up to 24 inches. Mine keeps the shop at 70 even on the coldest days. I load it around 4 or 5 in the evening and Stihl have coals around 6 the next morning.

That's a nice 60, congrats.
Curious to hear how you like it. I wonder if it was just a problem he was having, you know, operator error, could be ready to rock.
I have had people bring saws over many times that they couldn't start, they fired right up for me, hope that's the problem with the 620.
One of the craziest transactions I've had. Small Asian fella in the heart of South Philadelphia (think little Italy) and apparently he mills wood. Odd place to do that type of work but hey, what do I know? He also had a minty 661 that he was having trouble idling and let that go for $800.

Ill keep you posted on the saw. Wont get to touch it until the weekend.

One of the craziest transactions I've had. Small Asian fella in the heart of South Philadelphia (think little Italy) and apparently he mills wood. Odd place to do that type of work but hey, what do I know? He also had a minty 661 that he was having trouble idling and let that go for $800.

Ill keep you posted on the saw. Wont get to touch it until the weekend.
That does sound odd. Funny some of the people you meet doing deals.
One time I was talking to a guy who said some things that seemed a bit odd, he was using tapatalk to communicate, I was at least certain that English was his second language. Everything seemed to line up with what he said, but when we first started talking a buddy had some issues with a guy on tapatalk and the guy was saying he had to have surgery and was messing him around so I was still a bit leery as he said he couldn't meet because of needing surgery, mind you this was the same day as my buddy had similar conversations :oops:. Then he called and wanted me to give him a ride to go lookout the scooter because he would have to take the bus, well now I have a bunch of cash and I'm heading into a more run down area of downtown, sounded a bit shady:cool:, but as before everything he said seemed to line up so I went to pick him up. Ends up the guy was legally deaf and he spoke sign language as his first language. We actually became good friends and I sold him another scooter months later and he helped me move everything from my old computer to this one(he's very good with computers).
Moral of the story, not really sure, but life is interesting and so are the people I meet :).

That does sound odd. Funny some of the people you meet doing deals.
One time I was talking to a guy who said some things that seemed a bit odd, he was using tapatalk to communicate, I was at least certain that English was his second language. Everything seemed to line up with what he said, but when we first started talking a buddy had some issues with a guy on tapatalk and the guy was saying he had to have surgery and was messing him around so I was still a bit leery as he said he couldn't meet because of needing surgery, mind you this was the same day as my buddy had similar conversations :oops:. Then he called and wanted me to give him a ride to go lookout the scooter because he would have to take the bus, well now I have a bunch of cash and I'm heading into a more run down area of downtown, sounded a bit shady:cool:, but as before everything he said seemed to line up so I went to pick him up. Ends up the guy was legally deaf and he spoke sign language as his first language. We actually became good friends and I sold him another scooter months later and he helped me move everything from my old computer to this one(he's very good with computers).
Moral of the story, not really sure, but life is interesting and so are the people I meet :).
Sort of like meeting people from saw forums. Folks are usually but not always the same person you encounter online.

here’s one that popped up in my Facebook memories from a year ago today.
That one at least looks like the sled dog sleds, that have runners about the width of skis. They work best on packed snow, but still will not sink in like those narrow metal runners. I guess that as a kid, we used the wood and metal sleds on popular hills, that were already packed down, and wood toboggans, on deeper snow.

Maybe. pulled behind your Ski-Doo, that sled already has somewhat of a prepared trail?

(You are probably showing me your use for firewooding, and I am still fixated by the sleds!).

Philbert

Not in my experience. The runner sleds didn't like fresh snow because the runners were so skinny the sled would sink in and the sled would drag. On the hardpack is where they really shined! I had quite a few of them over the years. The small town I grew up in used to set barriers at both ends of the street we lived on and then would only plow that street and not use cinders or salt on it. As kids we were allowed to drag the wood barriers out on the street and shutdown the street and ride our runner sleds down the hardpacked street. Boy, you could really get flying! Mom used to wander where all her candles disappeared to in the winter, but as kids we had to get our runner wax somewhere! Sometimes on the weekends the street would be shutdown all weekend with kids sledding all day Saturday and Sunday. Come to think of it, had it not been the street we lived on I'm sure my parents never would have let me stay out as late they did. Unfortunately, since kids don't go outside much anymore, the little town where my parents still live hasn't set out the barriers in probably 25 yrs. I'm proud to say my kids still like going outside in winter, but since we live in the country and our ground is rather flat, they get me pulling them on plastic sleds with the atv or utv.

I've done what you are talking about a million times, and yes, they are good at going down plowed hills (and you can steer), but on about 4-5 inches of fresh snow, the plastic ones slow down because they are pushing too much of it while the runners just keep you above it.

I try to take my Grandkids at least once a year (before my busy Tax Season) but have not done so yet this year.

However, I did take my oldest Grandson out to shoot is 22 this afternoon ... he did well and was happy as a lark!

Scrounged this up from my neighbor Saturday. Older non EPA stove. My mom dated the guy that started this co in high school. They made woodstoves till the EPA got involved. Several of my wood customer's Stihl use them and it's the brand I use in the shop.. They sell anywhere from 3-6 hundred dollars on CL and marketplace. This one is set up to be boiler. After my original neighbor sold another guy moved in and started using the stove with unseasoned wood. Check out the creosote on the door. He moved out and the new people have a pellet stove. Probably a $2 grand stove when new. Used ones sell for $4-500 or more. Free is gooder. :rock2: View attachment 884776View attachment 884777View attachment 884778
Was the boiler OEM or custom other than that looks a lot like my Englander and I think I like non EPA better

Back