Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of a guy that told the sawyer that he wanted some one x ones. The sawyer cuts all his logs into 1in x 1in strips. You have to clear on what your asking for when getting wood sawed.
some sawyers talk in 1/4 ers and a 8/4 would be a 2inch thick board.

My neighbor, good old country boy, was adding an extension 'on the cheap' Came over with a batch of 1x4" boards and asked me to cut them in half to use as door/window trim. I measured carefully, did a test nick and ran the batch through the saw. Next day he came back and complained I had cut them 'too narrow'. I had to explain to him how lumber is marketed.

Unfortunately, it is like a lot of other things today ... you can not separate the legitimate ones from the cons.

When I used to work in NYC, there were so many of them I just needed to adopt a policy of not giving. (sometimes it is just a set up to rob you if they see you have money)

It got real difficult when the "begging person" resembled your Grandmother!
When I first started at UPS, my route was in Potomac MD. That's the highest of high end. Sugar Ray Leonard, Linda Carter, the folks that owned Ringling Brothers, all lived on my route. One day another driver called out sick and they gave me two streets off his route. Turned out the county condemned a poor, run down section, and built town houses on those two streets, and relocated all those folk to the town houses. I was pulling out of one of the parking lots and this great big guy walks in front of my truck, then over to my open door, and says, "Gimme twenty bucks for lunch. You work for UPS, you got it". I said, "Man, I don't have any money, if I did I wouldn't have my lunch on the defroster trying to get it warm enough to eat." He said, "What's in the bag?" I said, "two baloney and cheese on wheat, but we were out of mayo, you want one?" He cracked up laughing and pulled a roll of twenties out of his pocket the size of a tennis ball. Peeled one off and handed it up to me and said, "I'll buy you lunch today, you get me next time". I said, "thanks, but this isn't my route and Ill probably never be back. I wouldn't want you to think I stiffed you, we'll just call it even". He laughed again and reached up and shook my hand then said, "I like you, you can come back any time." But, if I acted scared and gave him money, I'd have been marked till I would be able to get another route.

My brother bought one of the BB Commemoratives brand New. When he was killed, a couple years later, I asked his wife if I could buy it from her. I didn't know it, but, there was bad blood between her and my sister, and my sister had asked for her to "Give" it to her.

Here's my 30-30. 1912 Savage 1899 Saddle Ring Carbine.
mLFjVBf.jpg

awn0L5b.jpg

My brother bought one of the BB Commemoratives brand New. When he was killed, a couple years later, I asked his wife if I could buy it from her. I didn't know it, but, there was bad blood between her and my sister, and my sister had asked for her to "Give" it to her.

Here's my 30-30. 1912 Savage 1899 Saddle Ring Carbine.
mLFjVBf.jpg

awn0L5b.jpg
Ok ok yes nice gun. But nice picture too. The angle I mean. And the decor. The colors. You have a sharp eye sir.

Spent a little time in the bush today. Last week we did the front wheels bearings and seals on my Kubota, oil/ filter change, fan belt change, changed a couple of rough looking hydraulic lines, new front tie rod ( damn thing only lasted 3 years, at least that side wore out I snapped the other side twice last year), touch up paint, and a few other things. I was going to change two more hoses but shopping during covid is a pain in the azz so I never did them. And of course one blew apart today in the bush, it was the rear grapple supply so I was able to reroute it to get home. Working the wet section of the bush while it's at least a little frozen. There are falling ash all over the place and most have ants in them and rotten bottoms. I've started to just cut the rotten sections off and leave them in the bush, I have enough ants around home as it is. Darn stick decided to come up into the cab to see if I was watching. Just got done putting a new fuel filter canister on it but it just scrapped it a little. I figure it was a branch that got the hydraulic line too so I'm running them inside the cab this time.

Attachments

• 20210124_161749.jpg
    20210124_161749.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20210124_161739.jpg
    20210124_161739.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210124_161808.jpg
    20210124_161808.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210124_142144.jpg
    20210124_142144.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210124_142053.jpg
    20210124_142053.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
The Buffalo Bill Commemorative came out in 68, I bought mine in 69 and it was the last gun I bought that I had to bring my Mom with me (being just 17).

I love the way that 26" Octagon barrel holds offhand, very steady! Never took a deer with it, and never shot at a deer with it, but I liked how it shot.

Also, I once cronographed loads in it and a 20" barrel Mdl 94. The 26" barrel was 150 FPS faster, which is just what my old catalog said to expect, about 25 FPS / inch of barrel at those velocities. That could make a big difference if you hunt with a 30-30.

The only knock I have on the 30-30 (as a reloader) is the brass is too thin. It is just very easy to fold the neck when seating a bullet. Never had that problem with any other round I loaded.

Picked up a cheap 620p today. Seller stated it’s hard to start when warm. I’ll see if I can get it sorted. I don’t need a another saw but the opportunity presented itself.View attachment 884664
That's a nice 60, congrats.
Curious to hear how you like it. I wonder if it was just a problem he was having, you know, operator error, could be ready to rock.
I have had people bring saws over many times that they couldn't start, they fired right up for me, hope that's the problem with the 620.

That's a nice 60, congrats.
Curious to hear how you like it. I wonder if it was just a problem he was having, you know, operator error, could be ready to rock.
I have had people bring saws over many times that they couldn't start, they fired right up for me, hope that's the problem with the 620.
Right, like using the choke after it’s been running.....

Back