Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it when OTHER people screw up. Earlier in the week I got to talk to the local landowner that owns the mountain above me where I cut. Some bear hunters had run amok with the permission he had given them. They were only allowed to put a bait barrel at the top and check it on occasion. Ran their sxs and four wheelers all over the place, set various traps out(not even bear traps), and generally abused their opportunity. He is removing their access and limiting those who can access the property. I'm still in. He had asked if the road where we stopped cutting in the fall was accessible for his son and grandkids to ride on. I told him we hoped to get back out there soon, but less than 400 yards out we had stopped. My son and I walked out the road again yesterday and marked the trees we would initially drop. Probably walked out another 600-800 yds and only marked trees on the downhill side of the road. Ended up marking approximately 50 trees, most of which were locust. Some were break offs, others so-so. There may be a decent amount on the high side we haven't seen. Either way, this will end up being a much larger pile of sticks than I was expecting. Hopefully cleaning off the road won't take more than an hour or two, win-win for me and the landowner. I'll add a pic or two in a few.

Shea
Sounds like Buckner has been there. Inside joke, you probably wont get it.

Yep, the 303 Savage is of that generation, but the 300 Savage can be had in pointy bullets. I guess None of the tube magazine guns were ever chambered in the 300 S. It’s the basis of the 308. When the military wanted a shorter, lighter, carry more rounds at the same weight, cartridge that would match the old 06, the 300 S was already there. When it came out in 1920 or so, it’s advertising sell, was it exceeded the military 06 in velocity. When the 308 came out in 53 or 54, it was the end of the 300S hay day. My cousin has his dad’s 1959 Model 99 Feather weight in 308, it’s a nice one.

Bed liners loves lumber. Or should I say lumber hates bed liners. Jumps right out. When I was much younger, I was hauling some boards from the mill with my tail gate down. I believe I had them roped in, but taking off from a stop sign, half the boards jumped out. Took me only a minute to pick up, but the lady behind me had a tizzy waiting on me.
Damn bed liners. In high school I had a pair of small block Chevy heads in my truck. Forgot about them and hit the brakes pretty hard so they slid to near the front. Gassed the throttle and WHAM they both slid the 6.5 feet to the back. Bent the inside of the gate, luckily didn’t bend the whole thing!!!

I'm going to add these over time as the stickers need replacement Just PVC pipe cut in half

View attachment 885707
I have seen those suggested to be used before. I'm leery of them. First you've got a lot of weight on them and if one spreads open just an eight of an inch, you'll have a bowed board. Also, in the Summer, plastic (PVC) will flow, causing the pieces to spread apart even more. If the weight isn't distributed evenly, then you'll have a messed up board. If you're lumber was sawn extra thick, then you may have enough wiggle room to flatten out the bad spots.

I have seen those suggested to be used before. I'm leery of them. First you've got a lot of weight on them and if one spreads open just an eight of an inch, you'll have a bowed board. Also, in the Summer, plastic (PVC) will flow, causing the pieces to spread apart even more. If the weight isn't distributed evenly, then you'll have a messed up board. If you're lumber was sawn extra thick, then you may have enough wiggle room to flatten out the bad spots.
The PVC I posted is schedule 80 PVC conduit . Much thicker than 40

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/plastic-stickers-dont-stain/

Went below 0 here this morning for the 1st time this year. Currently up to 10 with light snow falling (not predicted).

Seems like we may remain white for a while.
Cold here too with some nasty wind gusts. You can actually hear the winds coming

We've had lows in the teens this week, coldest week so far too.
That being said I haven't dumped any coals out yet and the house has been kept toasty all season. My wife has been doing a lot of cooking/baking this yr though, which helps a good bit. I've been burning nearly 100% black locust so I would think that's helping too :rock:.

Have black locust in reserve . Use it when it’s below 10 been burning mostly hickory this winterView attachment 885746
Hickory is no slouch! In fact, I think most charts have it slightly above black locust. But the bugs like it and it does rot a lot faster, so I do like you and save the black locust for Armageddon. :yes:

Not sure this is technically Scrounging, this nice Oak fell in the woods behind my house during a wind storm a couple months ago. Only fitting that on a windy morning, I've run out of stuff to split, so I'm sawing. 16°F and 16mph wind out of the north - Scout and I don't need the Weather Channel to explain "Real Feel". I don't envy you folks working in single digits or worse. Anyway, went with the Bellingham gloves and the Dolmar 6100 this morning:

IMG_8828.jpg

And after the tank, Scout requested we visit the warming shed. I am nothing if not well trained.

Probably going to have to switch out to a longer bar as I work my way down this log.

Not sure this is technically Scrounging, this nice Oak fell in the woods behind my house during a wind storm a couple months ago. Only fitting that on a windy morning, I've run out of stuff to split, so I'm sawing. 16°F and 16mph wind out of the north - Scout and I don't need the Weather Channel to explain "Real Feel". I don't envy you folks working in single digits or worse. Anyway, went with the Bellingham gloves and the Dolmar 6100 this morning:

View attachment 885754

And after the tank, Scout requested we visit the warming shed. I am nothing if not well trained.

Probably going to have to switch out to a longer bar as I work my way down this log.
That's a neat looking tree. Looks heavy!

Back