Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....Personally a couple standard 2" ratchet straps would hold a log that size no problem. I would use them on the boards too. I would go over the top as you would the log, then under the boards(I'd have them on top of a couple pieces of dunnage), then back over the top, this will squeeze the boards together and hold down pressure on them......
Bed liners loves lumber. Or should I say lumber hates bed liners. Jumps right out. When I was much younger, I was hauling some boards from the mill with my tail gate down. I believe I had them roped in, but taking off from a stop sign, half the boards jumped out. Took me only a minute to pick up, but the lady behind me had a tizzy waiting on me.

Did some trail clearing today. We'll come back for the firewood later.
Found that saw case at a yard sale last summer for $2. Fits right in my milk crate.
Great pics.
Next you need to teach junior to take videos for you, then everyone can give you a hard time about safety gear and tell you how dull your chains are :laugh:.

Bed liners loves lumber. Or should I say lumber hates bed liners. Jumps right out. When I was much younger, I was hauling some boards from the mill with my tail gate down. I believe I had them roped in, but taking off from a stop sign, half the boards jumped out. Took me only a minute to pick up, but the lady behind me had a tizzy waiting on me.
I lost a mattress ou the back of an S10 like that, I got out and was about to grab ahold of it and a guy drives right over the corner :oops:.
Like he couldn't wait two seconds more to go:buttkick:.
The bummer is I was moving and it was the last thing and I forgot my straps/bungees.

Reminds me of a similar story of me as a young buck picking up sheets of MDF in the bosses truck. Took off from a stoplight and most of them ended up on the street. Turns out that stuff is pretty slippery. Probably didn't help that it was a 460 transplanted in a lifted F250 (edit - it was heavy duty now that I think of it.) I forgot the year now but it had the fuel tank in the cab behind the seat - I want to say it was a '76 but it may have been a few years earlier. Fun truck. I tie down loads now...

I've had things slide around never came out but the tailgate was up . I only went about 1/4 mile with this load. I had already taken off the straps B4BB696B-3780-485D-AEA8-5861806F9AEE.jpeg

I've had things slide around never came out but the tailgate was up . I only went about 1/4 mile with this load. I had already taken off the straps View attachment 885618
Nice lumber, looks pretty clear. First thought is Red or White Oak? You guys with stacks of lumber, you've got to show me some of the boards. It's the only way I can get my milling fix. I don't have a mill and I lost my source of potential logs. So sadly, this is it. :laugh:

Nice lumber, looks pretty clear. First thought is Red or White Oak? You guys with stacks of lumber, you've got to show me some of the boards. It's the only way I can get my milling fix. I don't have a mill and I lost my source of potential logs. So sadly, this is it. :laugh:
Oak and hickory mostly . One maple too. Couple of the hickory had some punk but overall they were solid. Last two were from spring hickory might have let it sit to long when we did them in December E0A596B4-62DA-40A6-8A60-A11F086A815D.jpegC50C9C91-681A-4F8A-A953-267B083F7251.jpegEC95701A-ED03-4461-9296-BC69E513E94B.jpeg686C4726-B375-4F5A-BF42-0C75398BCBEA.jpeg20200402_112343.jpg20200402_110514.jpg

In the early nineties I was driving through farm country and came to a pickup and trailer stopped in the road, with two big wooden crates of stone fruit slid off onto the road behind them. A sheriff was stopping traffic, the farm workers had called their boss and were waiting for him to come with a forklift. But right away here comes another farmer driving from field to field in his tractor with forks on the back, he was gonna pass on the main road a short ways away. He saw what was happening and came and moved the boxes out of the way.

You guys with stacks of lumber, you've got to show me some of the boards.

I will when I get a round tuit. Hopefully tomorrow. The rain has rinsed off the sawdust, and it’s a pretty red now. It’s California black oak, but I think it’s in the red oak family.

Yep you get a half link tighter by tightening the chain one link on the portion that's wrapped around and back onto itself.
Just one link tighter here is half a link at the snap binder.
If you twist the chain it will tighten it at the bider, but you run the risk of creating a kink that could come loose down the rd, ask me how I know

I see that now with the chain looped back on itself.

Also with the twisted chain, if the twist gets spread out over a longer area it won’t be as effective, or not at all.

Thanks for all the points you made.

Finally got my new case in for my second 562xp. Got it off @OhioRich for a great price shipped. Had a stuffer come apart, luckily they must have shut it down right away. Piston a but scored up, but the cylinder is good. Found a few old threads about porting them, think I'll give this one an honest try, and its gonna get a me version duel port muffler. Hope it turns out good. First time I'll be seriously messing with a strato saw.
20210128_192647.jpg

20210128_192640.jpg
On a side note, what's the white plastic ring for on the flywheel side? My 2012 model doesn't have that, and I couldn't find it in the ipl. Do I need to remove it and stick a seal in? Cheers all. I'll start a thread on it when I get to it.

Is this something carried at hardware stores? Lumber yards?
Oh no. I never need many nowadays, so I just cut mine from the 2x4 runners of hardwood pallets. You could just have your sawyer cut some stickers out of the 2nds lumber. He should know what to do. Now if you're having it sawn up in only flitches (natural edge) then that can't be done. But then you said for flooring, so some of the outer layers should generate some stickers. They should dry pretty fast so they should be ok to use. And there's always the debate whether they should be hardwood or softwood and wet (green) or dry. I think the fear is sticker stain/mold that might occur when green stickers or softwoods are used. Some that I've heard prefer pine. So I guess you could cut your own from 2x4s on a table saw. Composite stickers can be purchased, but they're pricey.
A few more things I should have mentioned early. Cut back a couple of inches to get fresh ends that have no checking. Seal immediately and coat 1" or so on the faces and edges as well as the ends. The 2nd log you have milled, just stack on top of the 1st log's boards, placing any 2" (thickest you have) at the top of the pile. Be sure to save your stickers when you dismantle the stack. They can be reused.
IMG_9091.JPG
Here's an example of a couple of small Cherry logs I had milled. They should have been almost 8' log as when I first measured them, but some butt hole cut a firewood round off each before I could get in there and get them. A farmer loaded 2 of the logs on my single axle trailer so I left the third log for a 2nd trip. Should of had him put it in my truck bed, because when I came back to get it, it was gone. Still almost 100% clear lumber.

Back