Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T shirt weather in those parts?
I'm in Western MD. We had a hi of about 28 today. Was 23 when I got home. People kept looking at me because I was wearing a sweat shirt over a T, shorts, and my Kroc's. My truck has heat, the stores have heat, what's the big deal of walking 50 yards just a few degrees below freezing? I think I've only seen the temp drop below zero a couple times in my life? Don't think I'll ever move much farther north, I hate long pants and shoes.

The year my “almost” 16 year old daughter was born, 2005, we had two weeks in a row of - to single digits, I’d look at a bank thermometer/clock everyday on my way to work. Those were the coldest times I remember. Just lasted for too long. The last two weeks it will be single digits in the morning but warm up to mid twenties. Back in 05, it didn’t ever seem to warm up.

People here don’t know what cold is, I only know because I’ve been to other areas. I was in the Army stationed in Germany and we’d be out in the field in February. We’d “Stand to” on the perimeter starting at 0330. My canteen would be frozen solid on my hip. I also did my Primary Leadership Development Course in Utah in November, it snowed three feet while I was there. We did long marches in both places.

hi tk - why do u say that? i have had many W D apples over the years, always liked them a lot. used to pick them right off the trees on one stop when i had a paper route as a kid... always enjoyed the smell of their orchard... both when it was flowering and also when apples ripe to pick...

interesting to hear your comments on the orchards down by the dam. i knew they had removed them to other spots, but dint know there was still one close by. will have to ck out that road and area. stay warm. cold getting colder here...

View attachment 889440

They are a good eating apple but there are many that have better flavor and texture. Once in a while I'll buy one.

Finished the stacking of the cypress chunks. The pallets are 4ft x 4ft which makes calculation of cordage easier. So maybe a touch better than a cord here.

14th Feb 2.jpg

Plus another nearly half cord here.

14th Feb 1.jpg

There was some nice figure in the stump sections, like the piece closest on the bottom corner. Didn't know that would be the case when I cut it. Sure smells nice when you walk past, all the same.

Maybe I asked this before, Cypress burns fast like Pine?
Yes. The dry bits are pretty light.

Most of the resin seems to be in/under the bark - not sure if that is typical for softwoods or not. I burned some of the bark and junk in the firepit the other night and it went up like I poured diesel all over it.

I ran across this posted earlier today. Made me kind of sick.
Cherry.jpg
Look at the big rounds. Think of the log they came from and the lumber that would have been turned out. I know all can't be saved. I just don't run across a lot of Cherry and it seems like a crime. And I have cut up cherry that is low grade before.

Maybe I asked this before, Cypress burns fast like Pine?
I get a lot of cypress. Lawson is fairly light and fast buring, Leyland is a fair bit denser, one of the densest softwoods, its no oak (about 0.75 specific gravity at 20%) but its not bad at 0.5-0.55. I actually haven't burnt much pne before now but got a cord, cord and a half this last March and am burning some now. Cypress is sappie and really strong smelling but pine is wow its sappie! I'm finding the pine burns hotter, and last longer, but leylandii is decent and good for a hot fire.

I only use KD pine for kindling. The pine I see mostly around here is White Pine and it's very sappy. I'm afraid to burn it in my fire place because of build up. I took down several dead pine on my lot and do burn some of it in my fire pit and camping.

Ever try Sassafras? It was my Dad's favorite for kindling but it does pop a lot.

Latest posts

Back