Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old lady had a couple of days in hospital last week so I thought I'd head down to see her. Might as well take a load of wood down too. The challenge was to see if the wood stacked against the shed would fit in the Ranger tub and trailer.

22nd Mar 4.jpg

I knew I got married and had kids for a reason.

22nd Mar 3.jpg

Wood loaded...

22nd Mar 2.jpg

This much left...

22nd Mar 1.jpg

5e7.gif

Scrounged up an around the yard hauler. It’s beat up but the price was right.
Those little garden carts come in handy. I put sideboards on mine because sometimes the yard is too wet to move firewood with my truck. So I use the cart/lawn mower. Actually, the side boards aren't needed for firewood because the tires won't let me fill the cat up. But they do come in handy to move grass clippings, brush, etc to the burn pile to save trips.
IMG_9717.JPG

Those little garden carts come in handy. I put sideboards on mine because sometimes the yard is too wet to move firewood with my truck. So I use the cart/lawn mower. Actually, the side boards aren't needed for firewood because the tires won't let me fill the cat up. But they do come in handy to move grass clippings, brush, etc to the burn pile to save trips.
View attachment 896344
Yes. And hauling fuel cans down to the boat!!

19 million people in NYS give or take, so it a only takes a small percentage of scofflaws to line the governors pockets at 20 to 50 bucks a pop.
But they're only doing it for you safety :rolleyes: Yeah right.
Cop righting the ticket at 35$ an hour plus benefits seems they are losing money.
Actually I was off on hourly rate my old department top pay after 4 years is just shy of 75 k for a patrolman . I left at 57k

I’ll agree with this. It gets the major junkers off the road.

OTOH if you have a vehicle with a minor issue such as a check engine light due to a phantom code, or your abs light is on, you may spend more than the value of the vehicle to get it fixed.

The one thing I liked about NYS was that they keep insurance rates low. At the time I lived there, full coverage for a 3 year old suburban and 8 year old escape was $106 a month total.
I have three cars on regular ins 250/500 in liability all with comprehensive one with collision . About 150 a month . All my old cars 9 all full coverage 100$ deducts with 250/500 are 100 a month

View attachment 896344
Mulberry :)

s
Really I have seen cars on the road that shouldn’t be . Bald tires things falling off can’t tell ya how many break ball joints and hub bearings loosing a wheel . Cars need to be safety inspected because most people have no clue
And most of the charge goes to the independent station that performs the inspection
Same here in Ontario, but apparently they upped their game when a big dumping operation was happening, truck after truck...people were getting killed by unsafe trucks. They can be cool but others will pull your plates for your seat cushion being torn.

Nice! How much sap are you doing today? Looks like I'm about 2/3rds of the way there in 4 hours.

I didn't get as ambitious as cooking food while I'm boiling sap, but I did get several of these cut and varnished for picture frames.
View attachment 896214
Looks like the stator on my Merc :)

Good eye. My second most favorite firewood.
What's your first favourite? I have a few favs for different reasons. I'd love ironwood for my stove at my place of business but it is very rare. So is hickory, for adding smoke flavour to my bbq and selling. Ive had 6 loads of bitternut, never had any shagbark. I'm not right into oak but I burn at least 40 to 50% oak because we tend to get big northern red oaks which produce a lot of crotch wood and the tree cutters cut blocks thinner so they can move them manually in the tight areas of dense housing. Cherry and birch for smell, indoor or outdoor.
I made a couple videos on my channel about how to use a baseball sized chunk of wood to add smoke to bbq and I used hickory for steak and saved some of it to make a second video on steak and egg breakfast tortillas.
I tried a chunk of mulberry with steak but it didnt come out right. I have a feeling that fruitwood is not good for beef. I think I used apple with beef once and didn't like it but otherwise, I've been using hickory and sugar maple. Maple goes well will salmon. And sugar maple KOs oak with brisket

What's your first favourite? I have a few favs for different reasons. I'd love ironwood for my stove at my place of business but it is very rare. So is hickory, for adding smoke flavour to my bbq and selling. Ive had 6 loads of bitternut, never had any shagbark. I'm not right into oak but I burn at least 40 to 50% oak because we tend to get big northern red oaks which produce a lot of crotch wood and the tree cutters cut blocks thinner so they can move them manually in the tight areas of dense housing. Cherry and birch for smell, indoor or outdoor.
I made a couple videos on my channel about how to use a baseball sized chunk of wood to add smoke to bbq and I used hickory for steak and saved some of it to make a second video on steak and egg breakfast tortillas.
I tried a chunk of mulberry with steak but it didnt come out right. I have a feeling that fruitwood is not good for beef. I think I used apple with beef once and didn't like it but otherwise, I've been using hickory and sugar maple. Maple goes well will salmon. And sugar maple KOs oak with brisket
My favorite is Black Locust. Burns hot (got to be careful) and long. Weathers well from year to year. Mulberry burns about the same, but the sapwood gets a little buggy (Powder Post Beetles?) and becomes dusty. Hackberry is my third favorite because it burns hot also. Gets buggy too, though. 4th (tmi?) is White Oak because of it'e weather resistance followed by Red Oak. Throw in a little Walnut to round it out.
I don't run into much Hickory and will take Oaks over Hickory because Hickory gets buggy too. Most Maples I run around here are Soft (Silver?) Maple. Cut three loads one year and tried to burn the following year, but it just sat there and sizzled. Two years later, I burn the remaining as camp wood and it does just fine. I usually have enough hardwood available that I don't have to mess with Maple.
As for BBQ, I only use Cherry. Everything else gives me heartburn.

I'm a huge fan of apple. Used some apple to smoke a chunk of brisket this weekend and it was delish! Scrounged up a salmon on Sunday. Great weekend!
e99039655783326a58c3b35fe9ecb7fb.jpg
eec71724c1002d3a62413ed752b2eae4.jpg
ca2469d0592ac4cad70285ffe9777da9.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back