Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Ryan A
Well you need at least two running saws to go out and cut wood.

If you want to always have two running saws you need at least three or four saws in the fleet. And then it depends on how old the saws are. Since most of my saws are on average 20 years old you need a few more just in case. I’ve had times where despite having double digit numbers of saws I’ve only had one or two that were fully functioning....Murphy’s law.

Of course it goes without saying that you need a limbing saw and a bucking saw. Preferably a spare of each. So four is bare minimum.

My other problem that exponentially expands the fleet is that saws that were given to me by friends are hard to part with and even more difficult if that person has since passed.

I did sell a couple saws that belonged to deceased fathers of friends that I really didn’t need but still sort of regret.

Careful when beating a dead horse! My Dad and his brothers we throwing rocks at a dead horse when they were kids. One of his brothers dared him to run over it barefoot. It was summer in the 1920’s, so no one had shoes any way. When Dad jumped up on it a giant fart blew out of it, then three or four opposums ran out of its rear end. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’ll get?
Speaking of dead and stinky, was it one of you who originally shared this? If not, definitely a good watch.

Yep. Unless you make your living in the woods, a firewood cutter only needs one saw.
Wrong. I went to cut wood once with just one saw. Got the saw hung up and had to take the bar off and leave in the woods. Then drive home and borrow another saw and go back and cut my bar and chain out of the tree. Spent most of the day on one pickup load of wood. Now, when I go to the woods, I usually have at least three saws and extra chains. Of course I also usually forget to put the gas and oil in the truck before I head out.

some of your ingenuity/hillbilly can do attitude.
It's gray sky, 3" of snow, and 57% humidity here, more chill than we're used to. Been inside almost all day. Able to indulge nostalgia.

Went digging today in my photo drawer for some bicycle stuff (we're having that discussion elsewhere on the site) and came across documentation of one of my finest endeavors. This ewe lost her lamb(s) and the calf had no mother (I bought him at auction). The arrangement in view did not come easy. The calf was plenty willing, the ewe not so much. A few wrestling matches later I made sure he could feed. But she weaned that devil over time.ewe:calf 1.jpeg

Also, it depends on what your intentions/goals are. I just split and sell a little on wood on the side. Way different than someone on the west coast falling bigger stuff for a living.

There’s also need vs want.

Started to unload my 262 stuff to snag one of the now sold saws on the classifieds. Didn’t need the saw, but I woulda been miles and fistfuls of cash ahead to buy a saw already done up. Oh well.

FYI, when I see you post about Covid I read about three words, then skip your whole post. We already know your position. So stop already!

I do enjoy your wood/chainsaw related posts though, keep those coming.
That's alright, then it must not be for you :). As I said before, it has nothing to do with being right, or expressing my position. Honestly I want nothing to do with the conversation, but if people keep posting about it I will as well.

Yeah I read/watched the links but I'm not discussing that hot topic anymore lol.
Awesome.
I don’t think anyone is grumpy. Some here feel they need to prove that they are right (even though there isn’t necessarily a right or a wrong in this situation). And the rest of us are like S T F U already.
I have no need to prove I'm right, pretty sure I've said that multiple times.
As was already said you should take your own advice.
I will continue to post responses every time someone says something about it positive. I'm tired of hearing about it/them myself, waiting on all you.
Amen to that!! There hasn't been anything new posted on the subject in days.
Guess you haven't read anything I've wrote or the links, I don't think I've double posted a single link.

So I tuned the 6100 fairly well I think after watching some YT videos. It kept running when I picked it up and dumped it nose down. I think I was just being a dumbass and was adjusting the low speed adjustments screw instead of the "T"/idle screw. I may need to get a digital tach or whatever they're called because I'm not too great at tuning it by ear I think lol. Speaking of dumbass, I also started to adjust the carb when the saw was low on fuel. Heard the RPMs change and thought my adjustments sucked again so I fiddled with the carb then the saw ran out of fuel and died. So basically I messed up the damn adjustments again lol.
Been there, done that, as I'm sure we all have.
Starting with a full saw usually helps.
You'll get it figured out.

Got the saw hung up and had to take the bar off and leave in the woods.

There are a few other means to take care of this, but won’t always be successful. I winched the tree once, to open the kerf back up on a felling cut. Caused the tree to fall to the ground, I had also removed the power head so it wouldn’t be damaged. I’ve used an axe to chop the bar out. I’ve driven in a plastic wedge or splitting wedge too, sometimes this isn’t enough. Another time a skid steer came along and lifted the tree on one side of a bucking cut on a down tree. I’ve also used a high lift jack to move a down tree enough to open the kerf. Even with all this, a bar stuck in a cut has been pretty rare. The use of plastic wedges when cutting will prevent most of this, my chaps have a place for the wedges.

16 if there’s multiple big trees. Etc, etc lol
You're starting to get it lol.
I was thinking about that today, how much money it takes to save a few bucks on heating :laugh:.
Here's an example, how many Kubotas does a guy need :oops:. The good thing is they make me money, save my back, and I get to use them for firewood :clap:.
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 11.18.58 PM.png
If I load the larger bucket a row above the top of the bucket, it fills the little bucket over the top a bit twice. First time I've used them this way, made it a good bit easier and a little bit quicker.
My one log pile fell down a bit :(.
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 11.18.21 PM.png
Found a couple nails, the Oregon EXL chain cut right thru it, then I finished off a file fixing it :cry:.
Black walnut should be called CBW, costly Black Walnut :envy:.
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 11.20.23 PM.png
Managed to miss all these nails.
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 11.21.03 PM.png

@Ryan A
Well you need at least two running saws to go out and cut wood.

If you want to always have two running saws you need at least three or four saws in the fleet. And then it depends on how old the saws are. Since most of my saws are on average 20 years old you need a few more just in case. I’ve had times where despite having double digit numbers of saws I’ve only had one or two that were fully functioning....Murphy’s law.

Of course it goes without saying that you need a limbing saw and a bucking saw. Preferably a spare of each. So four is bare minimum.

I'm going out to continue he willow bush cuttting tomorrow, Need to take 3 saws. MS193T 14", ms210/16". and MS383/20". The latter just in case I run into a tree big enough for it.

That's alright, then it must not be for you :). As I said before, it has nothing to do with being right, or expressing my position. Honestly I want nothing to do with the conversation, but if people keep posting about it I will as well.

Awesome.

I have no need to prove I'm right, pretty sure I've said that multiple times.
As was already said you should take your own advice.
I will continue to post responses every time someone says something about it positive. I'm tired of hearing about it/them myself, waiting on all you.

Guess you haven't read anything I've wrote or the links, I don't think I've double posted a single link.

Yes, you post new links. The problem is thery are all the same "It's a conspiracy!!"

Back