Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swear, every single time I get something new/new to me, the weather gets crappy or something comes up and prevents me from being able to enjoy my new gear.

Scrounged up a really clean 89' 16 foot Lund with a real minty 30 HP Yamaha of about the same vintage on Monday during the 10 day monsoon. The boat is basically ready to fish except I need to add a depth finder. Boys and I are going to put it in the water this evening and go for a rip. It will be a nice compliment to the smaller 16' Crestliner (equipped with my existing 15 hp) I horse traded for earlier this spring.

Like saws, a guy can never have too many boats or outboard motors.

Wow 10 pages in 2 days. I'll be honest I skipped through most of them. Got the wifes project more or less completed last evening got all the fill dirt in it and fill to regrade right in front of it. Just need to add the top soil and she can continue to plant her plants. Need to get me a little loader tractor sooner or later. The dump cart is great, but filling it by hand takes forever. Heres how it stands now.
20210414_194952.jpg
Got the neighbors mower finished up, hes gonna pick it up tonight. Has a few idler pulleys I would have liked to replace, but it's his back up for now, so he didnt want to stick too much more money in it. My dad called and told me to come over and pick up his grass hopper and huskie mower. Said "I'm done with them, they are tour problem." So the oak logs on my trailer need to come off. I had wanted to mill them, but honestly have too much going on right now.
Cheers all.

Wood permits are free right now in the TNF ( Tahoe National Forest ) due to covid, perfect time to get some good stuff 10 min from home.
Damn that must have been a huge tree. Cute dog, looks like the perfect firewood cutting partner. My dumbass dog tried to bite my chainsaw bar as I was about to cut into a tree stump. B63ED94D-F321-49B2-9BEE-CB72CB48FEF8.jpeg

Damn that must have been a huge tree. Cute dog, looks like the perfect firewood cutting partner. My dumbass dog tried to bite my chainsaw bar as I was about to cut into a tree stump. View attachment 901426
Sorry but had to laugh when I read that. I almost weed whipped my friends dog because he was following me so closely that I couldn’t see him. Very loyal, lovable dog...always wanted to be RIGHT by you.

@cowboy253 I got up to your part of the country last week. You certainly have some beautiful scenery. Went to Beechworth and Bright.

It's a nice part of the world for sure. Are you considering getting a firewood processor or were you just having a look around your mate's setup?

Got the release from the Doc today. 1 hour ride to and 1 back to spend all of 3 minutes with him to say "no restrictions". I was going gto go cutting afterwards but got the notice that the sprocket for the 210 saw was in so a 40 mile roundtrip to get that installed and do a bit of shopping. Back to cutting tomorrow!!

Well, that was a fiasco. Waited around to about 9:30 to go out hoping the wind would die down a bit (it didn't). 15 minutes of cutting and the MS193 blew the nose sprocket - 1 saw down. Grabbed the other saw, MS363, No start after pulling until I couldn't pull any more. So back to the house, load up for the 60 mile round trip to the good dealer. Took the MS210 to get a chain for it. At dealer about 30 minutes, 363 needed new plug and new fuel filter then fired right up. Got a 16" bar for the MS210 plus a chain. Parts and labor $98. Back home. How the H E double toothpicks did I NOT get the new bar for the 193!!!. I think I need a caretaker to follow me around.

Try again tomorrow with the MS363/20" and Husky 14" (my backup top handle). I'll tryi picking up the 14" bar for the 193 next time I go shopping. I'll try cutting again tomorrow. That willow bush is a lot denser than I remembered. Hard to pick a spot to start at.

So many grumpy people here today lol. Ya'll need to go sip a beer or something and relax. I've been sipping some beers while I work from home. Probably explains why I'm typing a post on this site vs actually working lol.
Agreed 110%! Ignorant Americans arguing for the sake of arguing of who has a better idea or opinion. WOW
I drink just to put up with all your BS.

It's a nice part of the world for sure. Are you considering getting a firewood processor or were you just having a look around your mate's setup?
No just checking out his setup. I used to do a bit of wood cutting with him when he worked for our company. I only cut for firewood for our place (approx 3-4m³ a year) and I sell a bit to some local residents around me. But definitely not enough to require a processor. I did buy a new log splitter last year paid a bit extra to get the one with the two stage pump it has a 10.9 second cycle time. I did look at the kinetic splitters like the super split but I had a mate that had one and he said they don't handle our dense wood like red gum and yellow box. He sold his after 6 months and bought a hydraulic one. You will also notice the orphaned lamb that we got for my son to raise over the covid lockdown period. He thought if was great.... bottle feeding it for 6 weeks etc...20200730_174150.jpg20200730_174204.jpg20200802_102845.jpgBushranger.jpg

Yep Americans are selfish, it's not BS. The military's having issues recruiting people now because the majority of Americans are overweight/obese and the younger generation do not want to serve in the military. It's mostly about what's in it for them. When a natural disaster of some kind occurs/is imminent, what usually happens? People rush to stores and buy up all the tp and other crazy items without regard for other citizens. That's all selfish actions. Also not sure why you're mentioning my name, I served 20 years in the military and just retired.
I’ve been waiting for all of the hoarders, hoards, to come on the market. A couple weeks ago, our Tuesday auction, which has gone on line bidding only, had 20+ boxes, of fifty bottles per box, of hand sanitizer show up, and I forgot to put it on my watch list. Each box was a separate lot, and I didn’t see a single bid on any of them a couple days in. I’d love to know what happened to them.

I've always been hassled at the border too. I think they have something against Volkswagens??
One of the guys in high school had a VW bug that would have had their eyes BUGGING out. Open the hood and there was a small block Chevy, open the trunk, and there was a trunk with a 10 gallon fuel cell. Cool little car.

Damn I may need to take a trip up to MD and try to snag some of these chainsaws. That's some great deals you found.

lol. We need a Mad Max two man enter, one man leave ring or something lol. Think I'll just ignore people that seem to want to start an argument, I have enough crap to deal with as it is. For instance, how the hell to get these trailer wires out of this truck. Bought an online subscription to wiring diagrams for the truck and will go to work this weekend. Watch me mess something up and end up having to press the horn to turn my lights on haha
If you’re in NVa, your not far from me. I’m about 45 minutes from Leesburg. I have property in Hardy County WV. The old saw shop I got all of those big saws from is just outside Winchester.

Wow 10 pages in 2 days. I'll be honest I skipped through most of them. Got the wifes project more or less completed last evening got all the fill dirt in it and fill to regrade right in front of it. Just need to add the top soil and she can continue to plant her plants. Need to get me a little loader tractor sooner or later. The dump cart is great, but filling it by hand takes forever. Heres how it stands now.
View attachment 901421
Got the neighbors mower finished up, hes gonna pick it up tonight. Has a few idler pulleys I would have liked to replace, but it's his back up for now, so he didnt want to stick too much more money in it. My dad called and told me to come over and pick up his grass hopper and huskie mower. Said "I'm done with them, they are tour problem." So the oak logs on my trailer need to come off. I had wanted to mill them, but honestly have too much going on right now.
Cheers all.
Dang, we are in yard work mode too. But no pics. My cell locked up in Emergency Call mode, when my son found a bypass around the lock up, I lost my camera, texts, gallery and Bluetooth. Went by the Verizon store for a new phone,and it was like an old joke. It was 12:05, and a sign said back at 1. We headed down to the rock quarry and bought 5 rocks that had my 10,000 pound dump trailer doing the “Squat N Dropit”. Maybe I’ll get some pics tomorrow with my new cell.

Nice beds! That will be next on our list.

Dang, we are in yard work mode too. But no pics. My cell locked up in Emergency Call mode, when my son found a bypass around the lock up, I lost my camera, texts, gallery and Bluetooth. Went by the Verizon store for a new phone,and it was like an old joke. It was 12:05, and a sign said back at 1. We headed down to the rock quarry and bought 5 rocks that had my 10,000 pound dump trailer doing the “Squat N Dropit”. Maybe I’ll get some pics tomorrow with my new cell.

Thanks. I just need to get a load of screened top soil for it then its finished. The wife seems happy with it, so that's all that matters.
That sucks about your phone. I cracked my screen a wile back, and there is a messed up bit right at the key board, that doesnt quite know what letter you want to type. Cant justify the expense of a new one, and at&t just wants to replace the screen for $50.00. Thanks no thanks, about to drop the insurance from the plan that I've been paying for, for nearly 5 years and never used.

Squat’N Droppit was The name of the B24 my wife’s great uncle was shot down in during WWII. He survived the Crash, and spent close to a year in a German POW camp.

So everything I say is a conspiracy, but if I'm right, that makes everything everyone else has said that's pro the experimental jabs wrong lol.

It amazes me how quickly a bunch of folks I've really looked up to will give up so many of their rights for the promise of freedom that we already have.
Many so they just might survive this horrendous virus that's killing so many people, all the excess deaths. Meanwhile the MSM is only reporting how many have gotten the jabs and cases, not hearing anything about the deaths anymore, wonder why, I guess the jabs fixed it :laugh:.

So much for staying off that topic ;).
I've got the woodshed over half full now for 22/23 season, I've heard rumor we will be having winter then:laughing:.
Funny, J&J just shut down their vaccine, well the CDC did, so safe and effective :rare2:.

Agreed 110%! Ignorant Americans arguing for the sake of arguing of who has a better idea or opinion. WOW
I drink just to put up with all your BS.
I spend my share of time in Ontario, people are just as frustrated and pissy over there as they are here.

Fired up the processor for the first time this year. Splitting campfire wood. Have to build a bundler yet but at least this will get it drying quicker. I'm still having issues with the oiler not working properly. I put an electric fuel pump on it but the cold heavy bar oil doesn't work well. I think I'm going to switch it over to hydraulic oil to see if it works better. Old picture of a firewood trailer I build a few years ago. It works well but I think shrink wrap bundles will be easier for my location.

Attachments

• 20210414_181519.jpg
    20210414_181519.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20160521_105540.jpg
    IMG_20160521_105540.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back