Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
850 cc’s of power don’t mean Jack if you get high centered

Popped the cherry on my new winch, works great. First one I’ve had with rope versus cable.
View attachment 901808
I switched to synthetic ripe in my winches years ago. Watched a cable snap, pulling my mates j20 out of a mud hole, after he snapped an axle. Good thing everyone was standing clear. Cable snapped and went smacked the side of my truck taking the back window with it. If someone would have been standing there would have been a real bad day. If the rope breaks it just falls to the ground. Doesn't store energy like cable does.

Oh man I hope so. If they are then I was successful lol. I think it took me about 6 hours to get all that wiring out. I was afraid I cut OEM/stock truck wiring since it was all wrapped up with what looks to be factory wiring. Hopefully the truck came from the factory set up for trailer bake controller additions or else I'm kind of screwed. My wife saw all the wires on the ground and was sure the truck wouldn't start lol.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tb-0007-2007-2009-GM-Full-Size-Truck-Brake-Control.aspx

I switched to synthetic ripe in my winches years ago. Watched a cable snap, pulling my mates j20 out of a mud hole, after he snapped an axle. Good thing everyone was standing clear. Cable snapped and went smacked the side of my truck taking the back window with it. If someone would have been standing there would have been a real bad day. If the rope breaks it just falls to the ground. Doesn't store energy like cable does.
The work load ratings on that stuff is impressive to say the least.

Iv seen it too. A place that i worked at, a 20 ton crane cable snapped. I gained more respect for gravity that day. Wont say how much we were actually lifting but it was only like 12” off the ground and it completely destroyed the 8” concrete under it and the cable completely destroyed a rod over. Would have cut a person in half no problem.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Got a nice bit more wood today.
The bigger red oak, left most that was still in the pond for the fire there(probably already burned as it was big and hot), 3 nice sticks of green black locust(sounds funny), and a small fork load of dead standing black locust that's already bucked up along with some of the red oak. Easy cord of wood there. I'll buck the rest up soon, but I need to get the woodshed filled with locust before I concern myself with splitting it.
Edit; there was also a couple gree sticks of maple in there I'll sort out when I buck the red oak up.
20210417_174026.jpg
Then the boy and I went down to the creek to see if the steelhead were still in there(they weren't), found this nice cherry stick laying on the trail.
20210417_191424.jpg
Also found this deer skeleton, the scroungers had their way with it. I found the jaw about 10' away and put it there for the picture.
20210417_191958.jpg

Oh man I hope so. If they are then I was successful lol. I think it took me about 6 hours to get all that wiring out. I was afraid I cut OEM/stock truck wiring since it was all wrapped up with what looks to be factory wiring. Hopefully the truck came from the factory set up for trailer bake controller additions or else I'm kind of screwed. My wife saw all the wires on the ground and was sure the truck wouldn't start lol.
So, did it start lol.
I was thinking about you today. Running my ported 359 it was stalling at an idle after a big cut, grabbed a small screwdriver after I finished what I was working on and started to adjust it. Dang thing was all over the place, then I checked the fuel, yep I did it, empty :rare2:. Filled it and got it to where it was ok, but I'll need to remember to check it next time I run it, which may be tomorrow.
Hope you get the wiring all squared away, my 2000 ford excursion was plug and play, can't believe yours wasn't at one point too.
@MechanicMatt should know.

99 to 07(Classic) Silverados and Sierras had a junction block in the driver's kick panel area where a trailer brake harness was plugged in. The factory trailer harness was blunt cut and had to be connected with heat shrink butt connectors. You could get aftermarket harnesses that had a connector for the the brake controller as well.

07 to 13 Silverado/Sierra had a blunt cut harness breakout taped on the driver's side lower I/P harness that went from driver's to passenger side if they didn't have the factory brake controller. All the wiring is there, you just need to make the connection with solder/heat shrink(best) or quality heat shrink butt connectors(good).
You may need to hook up the trailer battery voltage wire under the hood if it hasn't been done already. It's taped onto one of the harnesses that make their way into the underhood fuse panel. Red with a black stripe with a ring terminal on it. It also should have a paper tag on it. There's two studs on the fuse block. The one with the arrow should have battery power. I'm pretty sure the other one is ignition key on power. Check to be sure and hook it up. If I still had my 12 Sierra I'd go look to make sure. I hooked mine to 12 v constant.
Google image
20210418_013136.jpg
This is all off the top of my head. I've only put 5 or 6 brake controllers in the 07-13's and it's been about a year since the last one.
Hope this helps,
Lee

damn that's some pretty big temp swings. I hope I never see 112 degrees here or I'm moving north.
My wife had an Uncle in Arizona and he always laughed at the people on the coast. It would hit 115 and they would say, “ Yeah, but that’s not bad, it’s a dry heat.” He’d say, “ F’n Idiots, stick your head in the oven at 115, it’s HOT.”

Here in the Mid Atlantic area, when Dad was alive and it busted 100*, usually with 85-90 percent humidity, he sent the guys home with a full days pay. Said he would rather have happy crews than dead ones.

Yep, they store a lot of energy.
People have been killed by stumps doing this.

Seems as though people don't realize snatch straps are made to stretch and have a "rubber band" effect to help with vehicle recovery. When we were in high school me and a buddy pulled out a stump and used a chain. He still has the truck box that stopped the stump from going through his back window. Window still broke, but he was OK. Renting a grinder is safer and just as effective....

Seems as though people don't realize snatch straps are made to stretch and have a "rubber band" effect to help with vehicle recovery. When we were in high school me and a buddy pulled out a stump and used a chain. He still has the truck box that stopped the stump from going through his back window. Window still broke, but he was OK. Renting a grinder is safer and just as effective....
Wow, it still flew like that with a chain, never would have thought that. Glad everyone was okay.
I try not to be in the way of anything that could break loose like that. If your cutting I won't stand in front of you, same with splitting, I try to stay off to the side. Yesterday when I was bucking up some of that wood, the chain grabbed a small piece that had splintered off a damaged end, that thing flew about 20'. Not far, but I wouldn't have wanted to get hit by it.
I need to buck this one up later, this was one I planned on doing yesterday because I finished splitting late Friday. I wasn't too disappointed it didn't get done yesterday since I snagged over a cord of wood yesterday, I like when my plans get changed like that :).

Thanks. I just need to get a load of screened top soil for it then its finished. The wife seems happy with it, so that's all that matters.
That sucks about your phone. I cracked my screen a wile back, and there is a messed up bit right at the key board, that doesnt quite know what letter you want to type. Cant justify the expense of a new one, and at&t just wants to replace the screen for $50.00. Thanks no thanks, about to drop the insurance from the plan that I've been paying for, for nearly 5 years and never used.
Here's today's project. i spread top soil next to the drive where people kept missing the parking pad with snow on the ground. Got that finished and planted my wife's boulder, hope it doesn't grow any bigger.
liXSsUR.jpg

5fufKSn.jpg

4aNiqko.jpg

As far as rope breaking, I have seen advice:
1. Do not stand in line with the rope under tension, so that you will be less likely to get hit if it snaps back;

and,

2. Place a heavy jacket, rug, tarp, etc, over the rope close to where the operator is standing, to dampen the 'jumping' effect of the rapidly retracting rope.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back