Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a nice bit more wood today.
The bigger red oak, left most that was still in the pond for the fire there(probably already burned as it was big and hot), 3 nice sticks of green black locust(sounds funny), and a small fork load of dead standing black locust that's already bucked up along with some of the red oak. Easy cord of wood there. I'll buck the rest up soon, but I need to get the woodshed filled with locust before I concern myself with splitting it.
Edit; there was also a couple gree sticks of maple in there I'll sort out when I buck the red oak up.
View attachment 901868
Then the boy and I went down to the creek to see if the steelhead were still in there(they weren't), found this nice cherry stick laying on the trail.
View attachment 901869
Also found this deer skeleton, the scroungers had their way with it. I found the jaw about 10' away and put it there for the picture.
View attachment 901870

I still have that red oak for yah when your ready. You bring the chains

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Well, Steve was right. Had the house on the generator for about 4 hours, before I shut it down at bed time. Power came back on sometime over night. Got all the shingles off the roof today, went and got 8 sheets of 7/16 osb. Good lord. Left with the sheeting box of screws and few tubes of flashing cement to the tune of $579.00. Almost fell over. Get up early tomorrow and get the soft spots patched up, slam some felt down and get the tin on. Calling for rain Monday, and I sure as heck don't want to deal with that on a naked roof. On another note, I seem to have a surplus of shingles now that I went with metal roofing. Still need to keep a few square for the patio roof, but likely sell off the rest.
Ugg, off to shower and bed. Get at it early tomorrow.

I still have that red oak for yah when your ready. You bring the chains

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]
On my way over now!
Not :lol:.
The wife and kids just ran down your way last week, since I picked up this job and the weather was great for cutting I stuck around.
Just fixed a 28" chain I have on my ported 372xt(hit a rock), it took a while. Also I did a 20" EXL, which is hard as heck on the ported ms261, just a touch up though. I need to put more new files in the excursion :yes:.
Hope you're doing well.

Chainsaw carved? I think we need a tutorial!
Mostly chainsaw, finished it with a chisel. If I was better with the saw and bothered to sharpen the chain right proper before I started I probably could have just about finished it with the saw. It's a bit rough, even for my rustic standards so I'll hit it with the orbital sander to smooth it out some, at least enough to minimize the splinters every time I sit down.

If I gave a tutorial, someone would have to teach me first! I'm sure there are a lot better guys than me already on YouTube with everything you ever wanted to see about chainsaw artistry. But nobody told me I couldn't do it, so I gave it a shot just to see if I could. I have a few other things I want to try, too.

Was supposed to take down a little Chinese Chestnut, over my friends garage tomorrow. He just sent a message it’s supposed to rain all day. I got a set of Gorrilla Ramp Assist springs for my trailer today, think I’ll put them on and see how they work. That 5’ drive on ramp is close to 200 pounds. I’ve been worried I’d give my hernia a hernia. I’ll post pics tomorrow.

Was supposed to take down a little Chinese Chestnut, over my friends garage tomorrow. He just sent a message it’s supposed to rain all day. I got a set of Gorrilla Ramp Assist springs for my trailer today, think I’ll put them on and see how they work. That 5’ drive on ramp is close to 200 pounds. I’ve been worried I’d give my hernia a hernia. I’ll post pics tomorrow.
Had a guy stop Saturday for some wood. He had a home made lift assist. Vinyl covered clothes line wire, and some garage door springs inside a piece of plastic conduit. He lifted his ramp with 1 hand. Said he saw how to make it on YouTube.

Something in the recoil of my 154 broke. Not sure if it’s the little gear that grabs the pawls or what. So I put the new oiler in this Poulan I got a while back from Brett. Knock on wood that solves the oiling issue.
View attachment 904628
Looks "SUPER CLEAN" lol.
Hows it run.

Back