Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those 2x4's were probably worth hundreds lol. The price of lumber looks to be dropping which is great, but expect food and fuel to rise thru the rest of the yr and into next. Ammo is also dropping, good thing after yesterday lol.
Have a great week.
LOL! Nice to see lumber prices dropping. Definitely noticing inflation at the pump and the grocery store. How is ammo availability on your side of the pond? Still spotty here.

Thanks! Have a great week yourself.

LOL! Nice to see lumber prices dropping. Definitely noticing inflation at the pump and the grocery store. How is ammo availability on your side of the pond? Still spotty here.

Thanks! Have a great week yourself.
Ammo is available you just have to be on it to get the deals in-store. You can order it online easily, depending on where you order from you get free shipping.

Tell us more about this. Is it a seed mix you can buy or something you put together yourself? I don't ever see anyone in the family farming or cutting hay on my in-laws 80 acres again, but watching the Russian olive overtake the fields and pasture kills me.
My neighbor planted a good bit of it, store bought mix.
Good luck with the RO, you won't stop it or the Autumn Olive, best thing is to cut it in the fall and put killer on it then so it takes it into the root system. Another thing is to just keep it mowed. The biggest problem is they have millions of seeds and once dropped they can last a looooong time.

My neighbor planted a good bit of it, store bought mix.
Good luck with the RO, you won't stop it or the Autumn Olive, best thing is to cut it in the fall and put killer on it then so it takes it into the root system. Another thing is to just keep it mowed. The biggest problem is they have millions of seeds and once dropped they can last a looooong time.
You are correct, there's too much of it to completely eradicate it. But, other parcels in the same section have been cleared of it, and if you keep after it, it can be minimized and turned into productive land again.

Tell us more about this. Is it a seed mix you can buy or something you put together yourself? I don't ever see anyone in the family farming or cutting hay on my in-laws 80 acres again, but watching the Russian olive overtake the fields and pasture kills me.
I bought the seed mix from Shooting Star Native Seed. The way I prepare the lawn is simply spray the area with Round Up three times over the summer to kill all the grasses and weed seeds that are close to the surface. I don't till the ground because I don't want to turn up the seed bank. Then sometime between December and March I frost seed the area with the seed mix. The seeds are tiny and can't be planted too deep. The freeze and thaw cycles work the seed into the soil just like nature does it. The first summer after planting you have to keep the area mowed to 6". The next summer let it grow. Also spot control thistle as needed. It a bit of work but the results are pretty satisfying.

With 80 acres I would imagine you could talk to your local Pheasants Forever chapter. They are very interested in helping people get their land into pollinator habitat. Who knows, there may be a NRCS program to help with cost share on the invasive species.

Good luck!

Here in the UK we don't yet have that little green beetle from Asia, but we have Chalara fraxinea or Ash dieback. It's a fungal disease that is now rampant and killing most ash. Ash is a common tree in the UK, our most common hedgerow tree, although I don't seem to get much, I guess they aren't so common in gardens. However, at the other end of the street there are 2 moderate size Ash, ~18" trunks and decent height, in the grass verge at the side of the street. I just walked past on the way to the corner shop and noticed both have a bright green cross and 'ASH' spray painted on them. This is the local council arborist marking them for some kind of work. I'm wondering if they are going to be felled as a ADB preventative. Both trees had a light prune only 2 years ago and don't seem to be overgrowing anything, but both trees seem to be healthy currently. Hmmm. My ears are generally fairly well tuned to picking up chainsaws and with working from home I've a chance of hearing the job underway. It would be good to scrounge that lot up.

Here in the UK we don't yet have that little green beetle from Asia, but we have Chalara fraxinea or Ash dieback. It's a fungal disease that is now rampant and killing most ash. Ash is a common tree in the UK, our most common hedgerow tree, although I don't seem to get much, I guess they aren't so common in gardens. However, at the other end of the street there are 2 moderate size Ash, ~18" trunks and decent height, in the grass verge at the side of the street. I just walked past on the way to the corner shop and noticed both have a bright green cross and 'ASH' spray painted on them. This is the local council arborist marking them for some kind of work. I'm wondering if they are going to be felled as a ADB preventative. Both trees had a light prune only 2 years ago and don't seem to be overgrowing anything, but both trees seem to be healthy currently. Hmmm. My ears are generally fairly well tuned to picking up chainsaws and with working from home I've a chance of hearing the job underway. It would be good to scrounge that lot up.

They might innoculate them. Here there is a pre treatment that guards against the borer. A lot of municipalities have invested in caring for their mature trees.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Seems I have a back yard scrounge. Have no idea what happened to these trees they were green and had good leaf coverage, then boom. Dead. Wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't dropped a branch last night. They are kinda close to the property line so I'm sure the neighbor will try giving me crap. Sorry for the bad picture.
20210621_184623.jpg

I wish we had one of those places in town.
We have them, but are not allowed to take wood anymore. Partially due to liability concerns: if somebody gets hurt dragging out a log, etc.

Then the emerald ash borer: they are worried about spreading it even more.

A few times I thought about standing outside of the compost site, and redirecting some trailers coming in!

Philbert

I was out working on the road a bit and picked up the last 2 loads of rounds and poles from THE rope swing tree with the green and yellow wheelbarrow.20210621_211759.jpg
Then I cut some slabs out of the wavy grain rounds. 20210621_211859.jpg
20210621_211910.jpg
Sorry the grain doesn't show real well on the camera but I think with a little work they will make some nice project wood.

Seems I have a back yard scrounge. Have no idea what happened to these trees they were green and had good leaf coverage, then boom. Dead. Wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't dropped a branch last night. They are kinda close to the property line so I'm sure the neighbor will try giving me crap. Sorry for the bad picture.
View attachment 914081
I can't tell from the picture but are they oaks? I believe oak wilt can kill a tree in two weeks or so.

I just bought a box of .380, it was 25 bucks plus tax for a 50 round box. The shop only had .380 and .40 Cal.
380 was one of the most difficult to get, I saw it at $2 a round on a normal basis, I'd just get a different pistol before paying that much. I got this email the other day, not quite "dirt cheap", but getting better.
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 12.11.18 AM.png

I can't tell from the picture but are they oaks? I believe oak wilt can kill a tree in two weeks or so.
Yeah actually 3 oaks right next to each other. The locust are out with a vengeance this year as well, just thought it odd that 3 trees in the middle of the woods, with other trees in close proximity would up and die so quickly. Guess I'll be able to tell more once I get time to drop them.

Yeah actually 3 oaks right next to each other. The locust are out with a vengeance this year as well, just thought it odd that 3 trees in the middle of the woods, with other trees in close proximity would up and die so quickly. Guess I'll be able to tell more once I get time to drop them.
Sounds like oak wilt. It spreads through insect feeding and then can spread through interconnected root systems. Look up up oak wilt. There's lots of info out there.

View attachment 914081
The dead branch doesn't seem related to the leaves being gone in a few weeks. Gypsy moths are taking a toll on oaks around here so check for them also before you cut the trees down. They may come back next year if the leaves were eaten.

I noticed three large white oaks just off the main state route south of us are all dead. They are all within 20' of the road and within about a mile of each other, it seemed odd to me. I was wondering if it was something they sprayed into the ditch for weed control or put on the rd. Not that this has anything to do with yours @sean donato , just thinking about it.

Latest posts

Back