Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question,
Now that I have my ported 661, I'm thinking of changing over to running a 20' bar with a 3/8th 8 tooth sprocket on my PS7900. On the 661 I'm looking to run a 28' bar also with a 3/8th 8 tooth sprocket.

I've never changed sprockets, my question is will the Dolmar use the same sprocket as the Stihl I presume Oregon Pn: 22273 for both saws?

1625116310717.png

It went from 125 to 400 acres overnight, no structures burned, dozer line all the way around. They’re optimistic right now. This is deja vu in a bad way, we thought our place was gonna burn last year.

This is our county supervisor, he’s really good about keeping us informed.

They got it under control today. So much so that the pilots said they weren’t coming back unless called.

The helicopters were pulling water out of the local lake.

46EF67AE-E732-45CC-8AC9-92B39C712F69.jpeg
6D6622A3-5B70-40A9-92F0-AAC314E5251E.jpeg

Oh man bro :oops:.
Tarps in the snow, well:sucks: .
I can tarp with the best of the middle of the rd tarpers, but that doesn't mean I want to :laugh:.
Are you hoping it leads to another local gig that you don't need to tarp.
Hopefully since it's more local you're able to tarp in the building and they help lift them with the hilo for you. My last driving job was probably 60-70% tarped, drywall doesn't like getting wet much, and the hangers like it even less lol. Steel studs don't need to be tarped, but if you have loose bands on them it's not a bad idea to toss a junk tarp on them just in case one decides it wants to try to escape.
Speaking of tapping/load securement. Last night after I got the stove(which I already installed, seems to be working lol) I picked up a few other things.
This was one bag, I hope it works:laughing:, as I didn't test it and I didn't open it to see what was in it(and it says Chrysler on it), just gave the guy 20$.
View attachment 915898
All this talk about tarps. :laughing: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/to-cover-or-not.266277/

So you're trying to bait me into responding to a 7 yr old thread :buttkick:.
I had a chance to find out what was in the union mystery bag.
These will work inside the 14' enclosed trailer, not sure how much they are new, but I gave $20 for the bin/contents and that fancy bag so I'm in the black on that $20.
The ratchet binder can be fitted with whatever type of attachment hook/device I'd like, that style ratchet runs around $14.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.23.01 AM.png
These basket straps(used for scraping a car/tire) were in the top of the bin, I never even looked in the bag or saw it when I opened the bin, this was mainly what I was giving $20 for and I also saw a ratchet binder with a 2" strap on it. The standard version of these(yellow ones) run $27, the grey ones like these run $37 each and there are 8. My $20 went further than I thought :clap:.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.31.27 AM.png
But wait, there's more :laugh:.
Many would throw away a shorter section like the one on the top right. I like to put two ratchet binders on them and use them for shorter needs, like going over the bucket of the tractor. If I'm hauling something on a normal basis like a mower when doing lawns, I'll cut them short enough so there is no extra to tie up, great time saving trick and it looks nice.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.32.07 AM.png
I'll probably buy 12 of these. They allow you to keep the ratchet below the rails when you have the strap going under the rail.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.41.27 AM.png

Also snagged this Milwaukee polisher, I didn't check to see if it works while there, but it does lol. I wasn't sure if it was the grinder or the polisher, unfortunately it's the polisher, guess I lost on that $20:lol:. My other hope was that the saws-all I've had for 25 yrs that stopped working 2 wks ago just needed a cord and this one would fit. I tried the cord it fits, but no love, and the cord from the saws-all works on the polisher.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.50.36 AM.png
Then my scrounging purchase, also for $20 :rock:.
Been wanting one for quite a while, another 20lbs for traction in the excursion :p.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.50.57 AM.png

Also snagged this Milwaukee polisher, I didn't check to see if it works while there, but it does lol. I wasn't sure if it was the grinder or the polisher, unfortunately it's the polisher, guess I lost on that $20:lol:. My other hope was that the saws-all I've had for 25 yrs that stopped working 2 wks ago just needed a cord and this one would fit. I tried the cord it fits, but no love, and the cord from the saws-all works on the polisher.
View attachment 916040
Then my scrounging purchase, also for $20 :rock:.
Been wanting one for quite a while, another 20lbs for traction in the excursion :p.
View attachment 916041
Some nice grabs.

Doe the sawzall have replaceable brushes? After 25 years might be that simple.

Some nice grabs.

Does the sawzall have replaceable brushes? After 25 years might be that simple.
Thanks.

I'm sure it does have brushes, and that could be all that's wrong. I didn't smell anything when it went out, just stopped, no sign of slowing. I thought I cut the clients power somehow :surprised3::lol:.
I'll probably be buying a dewalt cordless since I have all the batteries including a 60 volt, now to find a deal on one of them before I need it :).

My other hope was that the saws-all I've had for 25 yrs that stopped working 2 wks ago just needed a cord and this one would fit
25 years - I'm thinking if you bought that new that it has the plastic case? Just pulled mine out last week for the big project and my buddy noted the good condition of the metal case. I'm thinking it's close to 30 years old and they went to the plastic case shortly after that. Earlier ones had the fixed cord. 20210701_124305.jpg
Craigslist wasn't around back then but you probably got it at a barn sale knowing you.

Earlier ones had the fixed cord.
Milwaukee catalog used to list 20 versions of the 'same' tool; took a sharp read to understand the differences. Sometimes single speed, 2-speed, or variable speed. Sometimes fixed or removable cord. Sometimes a kit. Sometimes different amps or voltages, etc. Same thing with Delta power tools when they were a commercial / industrial grade.

Philbert

Milwaukee catalog used to list 20 versions of the 'same' tool; took a sharp read to understand the differences. Sometimes single speed, 2-speed, or variable speed. Sometimes fixed or removable cord. Sometimes a kit. Sometimes different voltages, etc. Same thing with Delta power tools when they were a commercial / industrial grade.

Philbert
Yes, that is true. As I remember it though, the detachable cord had just been phased in and the metal case was about to be discontinued in that era. Mine says Sawzall Plus which was one of the differentiating names I'm sure. Now it seems lots of stuff can be had in a commemorative model, special edition, and the like with a unique color for 50th anniversary or whatever other occasion.

Funny... you said catalog. Those are going away too, maybe at different rates in some industries.

Well, did something real important today!

Took the Mustang up to NH to visit my Daughter, her other half, and my new Grandson!

Everyone is doing well, and ... other than numerous Traffic jams, the Mustang did real well. I'm really liking the new tires I put on it.

Attachments

• Dad,Jenn,Alex07-01-2021.jpg
    Dad,Jenn,Alex07-01-2021.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
25 years - I'm thinking if you bought that new that it has the plastic case? Just pulled mine out last week for the big project and my buddy noted the good condition of the metal case. I'm thinking it's close to 30 years old and they went to the plastic case shortly after that. Earlier ones had the fixed cord. View attachment 916077
Craigslist wasn't around back then but you probably got it at a barn sale knowing you.
If I remember correctly a friend who's an electrician gave it to me because his work gave him with a new one. I think his new one was like that with the quick clamp setup.
Mine has the metal box.
I've never removed the cord when I put it in the box.
I think you guys are going a little far back with 30 years for that Sawzall... I remember seeing them as a kid new on the shelf, in metal cases. I'd say more like 20 years have or take a few.
Nope, I may have had it longer than 25, I didn't want to stretch it though, it's not a fish story:laughing:.

Well, did something real important today!

Took the Mustang up to NH to visit my Daughter, her other half, and my new Grandson!

Everyone is doing well, and ... other than numerous Traffic jams, the Mustang did real well. I'm really liking the new tires I put on it.
Congrats Mike.
How many grandkids do you have now.

I think you guys are going a little far back with 30 years for that Sawzall... I remember seeing them as a kid new on the shelf, in metal cases. I'd say more like 20 years have or take a few.
Looks like I've only had mine for about 24 years, so i guess I'm younger than I thought! ;) I was guessing I got it early to mid 90's. I do know that the plastic case was becoming common right about then. As mentioned, they did have multiple models so it was probably phased in - I may have even chosen this model for the steel case, but can't remember that detail.

Did you dig out the receipt :laugh:.
I saw one today down your way, it looked about as nice as yours, iirc it was $125.
Yeah, it was right there in my diary! :laughing:

I have managed to keep mine nice, mostly because I'm not a contractor who uses it daily and when it does get loaned out, I usually go with it.

Neighbor had a big ironbark removed and the tree crew left me the barrels and a monster crotch. Took 3 loads with the mudguards touching the road before I had to stop due to a 3 day lockdown about to start, which means I moved about 1.5 tonnes of wood. I rarely get green wood. I had to noodle each round in to thirds just to be able to lift it. Ironbark is terrible to cut when the bark is on due to it being loaded with dirt. I had to sharpen every 4-5 cuts, which made for a long day. It will make up for the trouble next year when it's seasoned - my preferred heating wood.
20210630-51281451230_a178267c85_o.jpg

Neighbor had a big ironbark removed and the tree crew left me the barrels and a monster crotch. Took 3 loads with the mudguards touching the road before I had to stop due to a 3 day lockdown about to start, which means I moved about 1.5 tonnes of wood. I rarely get green wood. I had to noodle each round in to thirds just to be able to lift it. Ironbark is terrible to cut when the bark is on due to it being loaded with dirt. I had to sharpen every 4-5 cuts, which made for a long day. It will make up for the trouble next year when it's seasoned - my preferred heating wood.
View attachment 916166
Man that wood has a pretty grain and color...looks highly valuable!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back