Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been busy, tired and hot but my son and I got out early yesterday and made a little progress on the wood supply View attachment 924217Nice red fir not too far off the roadView attachment 924221Sure proud of my son, really enjoy spending time with himView attachment 924222View attachment 924223View attachment 924224View attachment 924225should be some good burn times with all the big knots, lol.
Nice pics as usual Nate. Beautiful country. How's the rain situation for you? Have you had any relief?

I'm hopeful that I will be able to spend time like that with my sons.

Been busy, tired and hot but my son and I got out early yesterday and made a little progress on the wood supply View attachment 924217Nice red fir not too far off the roadView attachment 924221Sure proud of my son, really enjoy spending time with himView attachment 924222View attachment 924223View attachment 924224View attachment 924225should be some good burn times with all the big knots, lol.
They sure grow up quick, glad we don't get any older though :laughing: .
Not much extra space in that trailer.

Nice pics as usual Nate. Beautiful country. How's the rain situation for you? Have you had any relief?

I'm hopeful that I will be able to spend time like that with my sons.
Thanks Lee. Still pretty dry, it did rain pretty hard for a bit last weekend though, helped some thankful for that.

A while back, here or in the 'Firewood Pile' thread, several posted pics of their saw storage. It inspired me to get my saws off the ground. I didn't need much space because I only have four saws (Oh the shame). This is what I came up with. Not a lot of room; no shop just garage. This sets in the space between the two garage doors. Gas mixes set on the shelf and the 5 gal below on the floor. Rack for bars and chains. Misc oil and funnels on top shelf. The saws leaked a lot of oil onto the floor and I incorporated these trays from an old shelving unit to catch the oil. Cleaned the mess off the floor too. Garden tools hang on the front garage wall opposite this shelf.

IMG_0687.jpg

A while back, here or in the 'Firewood Pile' thread, several posted pics of their saw storage. It inspired me to get my saws off the ground. I didn't need much space because I only have four saws (Oh the shame). This is what I came up with. Not a lot of room; no shop just garage. This sets in the space between the two garage doors. Gas mixes set on the shelf and the 5 gal below on the floor. Rack for bars and chains. Misc oil and funnels on top shelf. The saws leaked a lot of oil onto the floor and I incorporated these trays from an old shelving unit to catch the oil. Cleaned the mess off the floor too. Garden tools hang on the front garage wall opposite this shelf.

View attachment 924233
Nice!

I used to have 2 screws and a bit of string on the wall, string through the saw handle and hung on the second screw, see hung on the wall. Was good, except slowly filling the scabbard with chain oil. I've just had a massive reorder in the garage making lots more storage and needed to wall space for something bigger so.... Large hooks on the side of a roof joist, saws hang from the front handle. Pretty effective. Now I make a small puddle on the floor with the bar oil.

View attachment 924233
Looks good buddy. Someday I'll only have 4 saws. :innocent:

Yes I hear you. Most of you guys have a different saw for every day of the month :laugh: . But as a home owner cutting only for myself, 4 saws are enough. The 038 is my main saw and the MS 170, my limbing saw. The 046 is a project saw for 24"+ stuff and the 011, which I inherited from my Dad, is a good limber too, but needs a new carb.

Did I say, I'm afflicted with JAD (Junk Acquisition Disease)? Cleaning up this small section of the garage allows me to move my mowers in and out without having to move saws and gas cans first. First step toward my recovery.

My CAD got much, much worse when folks (tree guys) started asking me to fix their saws, then started offering to pay me with Unfixed saws ... and it was over!

It all started when a guy brings me in 8 saws that didn't run. I fix 4 (and mod them a bit) and give them back to him. He offers to let me keep the other 4 as payment. His workers were thrilled with the addl performance from the muff mods and removal of carb limiters.

All were 460, 461, and 066/660.

I fix 3 more (all 460s) and sell them (which more than covers the cost of parts for all of them), then fix and keep an 066 for myself!

It was a lot of work, but everyone was happy, including me! (and 3 guys got real good deals on 460s)

There used to be a big cottonwood, or maybe it was two of them, in the intersection of two country roads that I used to know. I don't recall anyone running into them. I don't see any damage in your pictures. Is that a figurative "ran into the biggest cottonwood?"

You gotta expect a response like that when you say you ran into a tree.

There used to be a big cottonwood, or maybe it was two of them, in the intersection of two country roads that I used to know. I don't recall anyone running into them. I don't see any damage in your pictures. Is that a figurative "ran into the biggest cottonwood?"

You gotta expect a response like that when you say you ran into a tree.
Total MN talk when saying you "ran" into. Same with "bumped" into. Has about 10 different meanings here and this case it just means found.

Anybody ever cut down a tree that had been hit by lighting? I cut down a sugar maple for a buddy on Sat night and the tree had a healed crack on one side but it was the hardest wood I've ran across. It was like cutting a 36" piece of ironwood. It died this summer so it wasn't like it had been standing dead. It literally was sparking the whole time until you got 25' up the stem.

Anybody ever cut down a tree that had been hit by lighting? I cut down a sugar maple for a buddy on Sat night and the tree had a healed crack on one side but it was the hardest wood I've ran across. It was like cutting a 36" piece of ironwood. It died this summer so it wasn't like it had been standing dead. It literally was sparking the whole time until you got 25' up the stem.
Was it on the edge of a field? Maybe filled with grit? How'd your chains hold up?

Back