Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could, but no time today. Just got back (late last night) from dropping off a son at college, need to fix a rental roof, and work on a bathroom remodel. Ugh.
Too bad. I was hoping you would be able. I'd like to come over and watch (help) you saw it up. Maybe keep an eye on it and nobody will want it. Then you can get it when you do have time.

The widow maker is down.
There was a twist on it and side pressure, so very cautious.
Driveway is open but lots of work to do yet. So much small stuff, but Beech is wonderful to burn, and easy to split.
We have two glass top end tables that are made of a European Beech.
The company is Seltz. Stunning stuff. We stumbled across it in Suttons Bay, MI. a very small town north of Travers City. It was in a showroom window on the short main street. Beautiful blue glass top with melted copper pieces that look like splatters.
The three legged end tables were the cheapest thing they carried by Seltz. The legs are five sided at the top where the glass nests, and four sided at the floor. Very subtle. Anyway, when cutting up the Beech I think of the beautiful stuff someone at Seltz is making.
My computer will not let me load any more pictures, or I would post some of the tables, and one of Margaret sitting on the largest split limb from the Beech tree to give perspective.

Thanks. I was more concerned with the garage, the fence and the neighbors shed :surprised3:.
I've got multiple saws in case one(or two) gets pinched lol.

I didn't really want the wood, it's really heavy :cry:, and it won't be ready to sell until next season, the good thing is I started a green wood pile to split after I sell what I currently have, hopefully I can get started splitting it this fall.
Sure would have been some nice wood to mill, it was about 36" across on the last cut, and it was solid until the second to last cut(nice 8'6" log easy at 28 approximately).

Looks to be in @SeMoTony neck of the woods.
That could be a nice one Tony.
There is a free, recently dropped 2'x 19' 6" black walnut FREE in St. Louis County. Looks inconvenient area for access or movement. 3 foot diameter or on my property do make it more interesting for me. There are a few 20"-30" logs up in the yard waste dump that can be fire wood 4 me

Training the hound to sniff out spruce! None here...none there...aroooo! Found some!
11de433899d064db5845ae2127b95e57.jpg
94693fd0bd3aebd3b7f458b61e2b5d3d.jpg
b168e11214627a3052b394d5aeca2570.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Doyle scale says 450 bf from 2'x18 foot log for perspective on what's there so how much after cutting in half,transportation to and from mill to kiln and then market. Adding all those costs in it's a bit thin on meat on the bone for profit
Of more interest to me is a limbed, standing oak a few miles north from there. Been on c'list a few months. Claim is 18 or so inch radius.

Mostly motorcycle related.

In the Army FTA and FTW was written on every latrine wall (Except basic training barracks). Firing ranges, motor pools, etc. That’s how I know about it.

I‘m aware motorcycle clubs use it too.

Took advantage of the short period between summer school and the start of the new school year to travel PA and celebrate 10 years married and my bday.

Left Philly and traveled west on the turnpike to Pittsburgh. Spent two days there and then traveled north to Erie. Erie to Bellefonte (State College), back home to Philly , then south to Cape Charles, Va ( end of Delmarva pennisula)

Love western and central PA. Nothing like we have back East. Hoping to kick it back in gear when I get back home for scrounging. Have maybe two cords of ash to unload?

Pic of me and the wife (still working on my before shot)DEE008C3-A0DB-4ADB-A072-A6570036C0FF.jpegA322DB04-F040-4629-8A1E-9A535BE34C93.jpeg

Latest posts

Back