Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How you like the Top Gun ammo? I usually stray away from Federal because they seem weak to me.
Just use it for block shoots and trap load. Can't say I ever noticed a difference on paper or in the clays. I also wouldn't be opposed for dove and small game depending on the shot size. It's not a hot load, but not a wimpy load imo.

Speaking of PPE and scrounging . . . I've been coordinating a sizable scrounge in the last 10 days. An in-town arborist who supplies me with hardwood throughout the year is doing a job at a local mobile home park. Since I have wood enough stockpiled for about 1 1/2 yrs, I've been hooking up various neighbors with this available wood. Much ash, some elm, a small oak, and some honey locust. Most of the wood is cut to manageable size--lots of limb wood and small trunk--but some is like 20" or more diameter by 3--5' long. Even on my best day it would be a struggle to muscle some of these onto the trailer.

I'm hobbling around with a cane due to a knee issue that just got surgically repaired this morning. So I've been driving pickup and trailer, but letting other folks load and unload. The other evening me and Dave were cutting up some of those large dia. chunks. Me running a Dolmar 7900 . . . in my open toe sandals. I'd never let anyone else do such a thing, but I know what the saw and the wood are doing and will do, so no harm done. But I got a chuckle out of running a saw in sandals.

Was absolutely thrilled to have my knee cut into this morning, altho my doc cautioned that I'll hate him later when the pain meds wear off. Yeah well--I'll soon be walking and climbing again. That's worth any discomfort along the way.

Scrounge on, gentlemen. I'll watch from the sidelines.

Had a tree guy from elk River pop up on arbtalk (a rather quiet and quaint UK version of the real McCoy). He wanted a tip site. I pointed him here to this very thread so.... Hang on.... Philbert doesn't even have a stove does he? He may be quality, but a tree guy may be seeking quantity too

Here's one from a bit closer to @H-Ranch place, it was pretty nasty driving today
Yep, that one got me around the timer you posted. Power is still out like many others. Gave me a chance to check out the new to me John Deere generator and all is well now.

We had half a large Beech split and top out two 14"-16" ones in it's path, dropping across the driveway.
Very hot, muggy day.
These Beech have beautiful limb wood, and lots of it. They have a high, thick canopy and little grows beneath them, but they do take out stuff around them on the way down.
We scattered a lot of brush, stacked some smaller limb wood in the wood shed, and called it a day.
One hundred feet off the road our driveway splits into a tear drop shaped circle drive. This is where the drive splits, blocking both sides.
In the second photo, far left, is the wood lot in the background. There is a leg of the drive for log trucks to circle back to the road, which we are now using until the rest, the larger wood, is cut up, split and stacked as we go. Not sure about the widow maker yet. I've always left them to nature, but this one needs to come down.
The initial break was two large limbs. Not much to judge perspective in the photos.
Margaret helped the entire time. We were both soaked, and stopped for lunch and to change into dry cloths.

IMG_2821.jpgIMG_2825.jpg65047867880__1231F637-5F1D-493D-BEB9-C8312BD9A419.jpg65047093716__7DA40AE4-123B-4CC9-93CA-13EA4DBE18CB.jpgIMG_5825.jpg65050185587__A727BE75-FF0A-44C2-B982-356DE11A9D4F (1).jpg

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but on the engine I put back on the splitter, the head, cylinder face and valves had this build up on it. Could that have been caused by the engine sucking and burning a air rich mixture? The carb was hanging on by only one bolt which at times was loose. Air could have gotten sucked in at the poor connection between carb and intake manifold. FYI, I cleaned off as much as I could get off with a screwdriver, wire brush and solvent before I put it back together. Cleaned spark plug too.

IMG_0681.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but on the engine I put back on the splitter, the head, cylinder face and valves had this build up on it. Could that have been caused by the engine sucking and burning a air rich mixture? The carb was hanging on by only one bolt which at times was loose. Air could have gotten sucked in at the poor connection between carb and intake manifold. FYI, I cleaned off as much as I could get off with a screwdriver, wire brush and solvent before I put it back together. Cleaned spark plug too.

View attachment 923817
View attachment 923818
Looks like she sucks a little oil. It's pretty wet around the intake valve. It's pretty normal looking for most of the Briggs I've taken apart. Clean it up and put it back together.

View attachment 923817
View attachment 923818
Decarbonize. While running at a high idle, spray seafoam in the carb until the engine stalls. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then start it up. This works great on 2 strokes that tend to carbon up, especially if they aren't run at full throttle. This will loosen up stuck rings. Will work on any engine. After a treatment I add a shot of seafoam to every can of gas. Keeps em nice and clean.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Soon to be new family member after first shots and deworming. Wife and kids are discussing names but in my mind it's "Eyebrow". Blue tick mix with a little redbone and black and tan coonhound.
196958237cb0f1da4338505c4be33685.jpg

We had half a large Beech split and top out two 14"-16" ones in it's path, dropping across the driveway.
Very hot, muggy day.
These Beech have beautiful limb wood, and lots of it. They have a high, thick canopy and little grows beneath them, but they do take out stuff around them on the way down.
We scattered a lot of brush, stacked some smaller limb wood in the wood shed, and called it a day.
One hundred feet off the road our driveway splits into a tear drop shaped circle drive. This is where the drive splits, blocking both sides.
In the second photo, far left, is the wood lot in the background. There is a leg of the drive for log trucks to circle back to the road, which we are now using until the rest, the larger wood, is cut up, split and stacked as we go. Not sure about the widow maker yet. I've always left them to nature, but this one needs to come down.
The initial break was two large limbs. Not much to judge perspective in the photos.
Margaret helped the entire time. We were both soaked, and stopped for lunch and to change into dry cloths.

View attachment 923788View attachment 923789View attachment 923790View attachment 923791View attachment 923792View attachment 923793
Digging that off road trailer!

How you like the Top Gun ammo? I usually stray away from Federal because they seem weak to me.
I like any ammo that cycles and hits what I aim for and the puts a hole in it or blows it up :rock:. I haven't shot skeet in a long time, I cant remember the last time, if I go out and can't hit 20, maybe I'll get some different rounds :p.
Forgot to post I got a double case and a nice backpack with a couple other accessories in it.
Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 11.19.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-12 at 11.19.28 PM.png
Scrounged this too lol.
Easy 4500 lbs if not more, 15 rounds and a few smaller sticks.
Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 11.21.20 PM.png

I've a feeling the chassis for this 4300 is shared in the 50 and possibly 60 cc DolMakita (the 7300 and 7910 share the same chassis).
No, and no, and yes(also the 6400 series saws are the same chassis).

Glad you're liking the 4300, strong saws for sure.

Very hot, muggy day.

View attachment 923788View attachment 923789View attachment 923790View attachment 923791View attachment 923792View attachment 923793
Bummer you lost those.
Looks to me like all you need to do is to hook a rope/chain to the ones still up there and they'll come right down with a little tug. If you need a hand you know I'd be happy to swing by :).

Oh yes I'm liking it very much! ah so the 3 biggest saws share the same chassis but the smaller ones don't, ok, it still oils well. In fact it cuts well too. If it gives that bit more after cat removal then, wow.

No, and no, and yes(also the 6400 series saws are the same chassis).

Glad you're liking the 4300, strong saws for sure.

Digging that off road trailer!
The trailer was $1,100. when I bought it, and drove almost 200 miles to find one. That was ten years ago. I use it for everything, but mostly wood chips now that I cut/split in one spot with the conveyor and log decks. Thule no longer makes them but there are exact copies with torsion axles, and others with walk beam axles for more off road. I converted the wiring to a seven way plug a year or two ago for lights/brakes/dumping. I like the torsion axles as it sits good when unhooked. I did add the screw jack to unhook when loaded. Also like the deck height and that it is flat, unlike some styles. Easy to move on its own, like in the garage, and need to push it about or outside.
When I bought it there were dozens of them stored outside in crates, tires in bed, cardboard sun faded and shredded, tires checked from the sun. Same tires but all have tubes. Wish I had bought three of them.
Later I added a Kory 3000 nursery wagon. 4' x 8' deck. I love this thing as a rolling workbench for saws. Took it to our sons when he built a deck behind his house. Moved material and again used it as a rolling bench. Also ordered some parts from Kory to do the four wheel SuperSplit mod, including a tongue and pivot that it pins to. Also some hard to find turn buckle ends for tie rods.
In this first photo the wood splitter is turned around and the splits are heading to the wood shed. The conveyor is just out of site to the left.
Today all three of these will be out to cut/split the larger Beech pieces from yesterdays blow down in the driveway.
IMG_4733.jpgIMG_3777.jpgIMG_4075.jpg

Not sure how well I did today on my scrounge, if I would have brought the trailer I could have filled it many times over as there were trees and power lines down everywhere I drove from West central to SE MI.
When you gonna send me the link with all the bread crumbs on the map to show me where the down trees are at within 5 miles of my place? :laughing:

Chipper1: Thanks for your offer. Greatly appreciated.
For now, that will be the last piece to tackle. The top is wedged in a low crotch. I plan to cut this part loose and use several straps to tug sideways and hopefully it will drop. That's the initial plan looking at it last night. Lots to do before then.

Back