Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not hard at all to find if you're willing to order it online, it's the cost that's "hard" :cry: .
I'm plenty stocked up in everything except 12ga, probably buying another one and some more ammo with it today or tomorrow. Buying it for a reasonable price and get about the same value in todays prices in ammo :clap:. As mike said, why wouldn't I jump on that, those who are prepared are usually spared :yes:.
These guys have great service, but as I was saying their 12ga prices are still high.
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/shotgun-ammunition/12-gauge-ammoThe best way I've seen to buy lately if you have more time than money is of a local forum, we have michigan gun owners here in mi, I've scored some nice deals and non of it is recorded, which is fine by me.
I have been looking locally and online at the places I've used in the past. And some I haven't. None in stock or 'sold in stores' only. Can't justify a drive from IL to Iowa for a few boxes of shells :laugh: .

Mooooohahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! MOOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA HAHAHAHA HAHA HA ha haHAHAHAAAA!!!!

what a little ripper!

PXL_20210811_175137947.jpg

PXL_20210811_175200827.jpg

It can only get better with a few more tanks threw it and the feline removed, but oh my word what a ripper!! What a little ripper! its an awesome saw! it is, but doesn't feel heavier than the little ms180 to use (certainly not like the 365boat anchor) its got proper AV springs not stoopid rubber lumps that Stihl use (why oh why oh why?!) It really felt smooth, no vibration at all! I liked the multifunction start switch that retruns itself to run, I think i like the primer bulb...since i always run saws empty it always used to take a dozen pulls to get th first cough...not an more. I Luuurve the sound! it sounds mean at idle, got a real burble! And my oh my it cuts! awesome chain speed...did I say its a ripper? :D:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw: I set the semi chisel chain it came with to one side and put an oregon LPX full chisel in 0.325" flavour on the 15" bar....it cuts...it really cuts! I ran a tank through it blocking up ugly and unsplitables, and as you can see it made a sizeable pile of chips and noodles that it flung at speed. It happily pulled the 15" bar buried in dry English oak, as you'd expect i guess as it can by bought with an 18". You know....ifI didn't have the loveable monster of a 365, this could be a 1 saw plan, it really could, this with an 18" bar would do soooo much. 'kin 'ell its a RIPPER! I'm going to like using this turquoise terror a LOT!:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana:

Mooooohahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! MOOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA HAHAHAHA HAHA HA ha haHAHAHAAAA!!!!

what a little ripper!

View attachment 923604

View attachment 923605

It can only get better with a few more tanks threw it and the feline removed, but oh my word what a ripper!! What a little ripper! its an awesome saw! it is, but doesn't feel heavier than the little ms180 to use (certainly not like the 365boat anchor) its got proper AV springs not stoopid rubber lumps that Stihl use (why oh why oh why?!) It really felt smooth, no vibration at all! I liked the multifunction start switch that retruns itself to run, I think i like the primer bulb...since i always run saws empty it always used to take a dozen pulls to get th first cough...not an more. I Luuurve the sound! it sounds mean at idle, got a real burble! And my oh my it cuts! awesome chain speed...did I say its a ripper? :D:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw: I set the semi chisel chain it came with to one side and put an oregon LPX full chisel in 0.325" flavour on the 15" bar....it cuts...it really cuts! I ran a tank through it blocking up ugly and unsplitables, and as you can see it made a sizeable pile of chips and noodles that it flung at speed. It happily pulled the 15" bar buried in dry English oak, as you'd expect i guess as it can by bought with an 18". You know....ifI didn't have the loveable monster of a 365, this could be a 1 saw plan, it really could, this with an 18" bar would do soooo much. 'kin 'ell its a RIPPER! I'm going to like using this turquoise terror a LOT!:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::happybanana::happybanana::happybanana:
So I take it, you like the saw? :laugh:

The REPLACMENT engine (hole in the cylinder) for my splitter runs great. Stronger than it did when I bought it used. Probably because the carb isn't hanging on by one bolt and sucking air. I got 2/3 of my Cherry load split before I had to quit because of the heat. I'll finish in the morning.

There's been some discussion about proper safety gear when messing with wood. Well normally I wear jeans when I'm splitting wood. Today I was wearing an old pair of swimming trunks because of the heat, along with the usual steel toe boots, safety sunglasses, and gloves. Sorry for putting that picture in your head. I was splitting vertically and I had my rear comfortably setting on my 'operator positioning apparatus' (10" high round). The wood was kind of gnarly, not straight Cherry. A split popped out and came straight toward me. Luckily I saw it in time and it only kissed my twins. Could have been very painful. Next time I wear a cup:laugh:.

We are getting screwed here in NY. Not only can't they ship it, but if you go to CT (the nearest Cabelas) they will not sell to a NY resident unless you have a CT carry permit!!!

Guess I have to get one of them now! What BS, a NY full carry is not good enough???

Seems only the big stores are getting stuff. Walmart may have shells at a decent price, but you can't go on line and check if they have it or not any more, what nonsense!

Often as not, they are sold out. My Daughter cracked up, they did not have any shells left, but clay pigeons are on sale!

We are getting screwed here in NY. Not only can't they ship it, but it you go to CT (the nearest Cabelas) they will not sell to a NY resident unless you have a CT carry permit!!!

Guess I have to get one of them now! What BS, a NY full carry is not good enough???

Seems only the big stores are getting stuff. Walmart may have shells at a decent price, but you can't go on line and check if they have it or not any more, what nonsense!

Often as not, they are sold out. My Daughter cracked up, they did not have any shells left, but clay pigeons are on sale!
I believe here in IL, MO residents can't buy any ammo because they don't had an IL FOID card which is required for IL purchases.

Yeh, BS. Checked their website and all I found were pellets.

" but clay pigeons are on sale!" I guess those are for people who carry a sling shot.

The REPLACMENT engine (hole in the cylinder) for my splitter runs great. Stronger than it did when I bought it used. Probably because the carb isn't hanging on by one bolt and sucking air. I got 2/3 of my Cherry load split before I had to quit because of the heat. I'll finish in the morning.

There's been some discussion about proper safety gear when messing with wood. Well normally I wear jeans when I'm splitting wood. Today I was wearing an old pair of swimming trunks because of the heat, along with the usual steel toe boots, safety sunglasses, and gloves. Sorry for putting that picture in your head. I was splitting vertically and I had my rear comfortably setting on my 'operator positioning apparatus' (10" high round). The wood was kind of gnarly, not straight Cherry. A split popped out and came straight toward me. Luckily I saw it in time and it only kissed my twins. Could have been very painful. Next time I wear a cup[emoji23].
Glad you got it going! Maybe nail a 2x4 twig and berry guard to your operator positioning device. [emoji1787]

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

what a little ripper!

View attachment 923604

View attachment 923605

Congrats on the new saw! What model is that?

We are getting screwed here in NY. Not only can't they ship it, but it you go to CT (the nearest Cabelas) they will not sell to a NY resident unless you have a CT carry permit!!!

I am from the peoples republic of Massachusetts so I understand. I have good backups on everything but .22 mag. I just love not being able to mail order any ammo . To hot to cut but I can do an oil change on the splitter and change the fuel filters for the saws.

what a little ripper!

View attachment 923604

View attachment 923605

Is the ms180 actually the same weight on paper or do they just feel the same?

There's been some discussion about proper safety gear when messing with wood. Well normally I wear jeans when I'm splitting wood. Today I was wearing an old pair of swimming trunks because of the heat, along with the usual steel toe boots, safety sunglasses, and gloves. Sorry for putting that picture in your head. I was splitting vertically and I had my rear comfortably setting on my 'operator positioning apparatus' (10" high round). The wood was kind of gnarly, not straight Cherry. A split popped out and came straight toward me. Luckily I saw it in time and it only kissed my twins. Could have been very painful. Next time I wear a cup:laugh:.
Glad it's up and running, nice job :numberone:.
Let's be careful with the family jewels lol.
Have you tried running it horizontally, maybe you won't have those problems; probably move the OPA and put a blanket down first though ;).
Not sure how well I did today on my scrounge, if I would have brought the trailer I could have filled it many times over as there were trees and power lines down everywhere I drove from West central to SE MI.
Here's one from a bit closer to @H-Ranch place, it was pretty nasty driving today, I even put both hands on the wheel for a min or two while talking on the phone :laugh:.
Screenshot_2021-08-11-14-58-36.png
Did I do okay, I know I had less than a 900 out of pocket.
20210811_223432.jpg20210811_223748.jpg

Congrats on the new saw! What model is that?

It's the Makita EA4300F/Dolmar 421. Only 43cc but 'pro' grade saw. I saw it at a bargain price on Amazon of all places, so hit the buy button.
Is the ms180 actually the same weight on paper or do they just feel the same?
I've not checked but it is heavier I'm sure. It is still very light and well balanced though so it feels like the ms180, basically unnoticeable. Let's have a Google .. Stihl ms180 power head 3.9kg/8.6lbs. Makita ea4300 4.9Kg/10.8lbs. I had a14" bar on the stihl, the Makita has a 15" so not much in it there, so 1Kg heavier or almost 25% heavier. It feels light to use though.

what a little ripper!

View attachment 923604

View attachment 923605

Goodness me, sounds like Londonwife is in for a wild night. :crazy2:

Glad it's up and running, nice job :numberone:.
Let's be careful with the family jewels lol.
Have you tried running it horizontally, maybe you won't have those problems; probably move the OPA and put a blanket down first though ;).
Not sure how well I did today on my scrounge, if I would have brought the trailer I could have filled it many times over as there were trees and power lines down everywhere I drove from West central to SE MI.
Here's one from a bit closer to @H-Ranch place, it was pretty nasty driving today, I even put both hands on the wheel for a min or two while talking on the phone :laugh:.
View attachment 923664
Did I do okay, I know I had less than a 900 out of pocket.
View attachment 923665View attachment 923667
How you like the Top Gun ammo? I usually stray away from Federal because they seem weak to me.

I forgot to say, I think the saw oils well but can't say for sure until I've run it more. The oil tank is large compared to the fuel tank 10.2oz/16.2oz. Or something like 280ml/480ml. I stopped to check the oil use about 3/5 of the way through the tank, not because it wasn't oiling but the chain had got very slack so needed adjusting. I expect brand new chain try stretch lots initially but was really surprised how slack the chain had got which made me check the oil. Well down but over half left. Ok, check the adjustable oiler, it has 3 detent positions and was on stingy setting, I upped it to medium. As you'd expect there was still plenty left at the end of the fuel tank but it had used a good amount by then. For the amount of fuel, the amount of cutting and a 15" bar stingy would be enough, it wouldn't struggle to oil a longer bar in its generous setting.
I've a feeling the chassis for this 4300 is shared in the 50 and possibly 60 cc DolMakita (the 7300 and 7910 share the same chassis). If that's the case then it probably explains the oil performance.

Latest posts

Back