Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I know what you mean by "do the bolt". It's the second of two carb mounting bolts and this was the whole point of drilling and tapping it out. So if so, yes, a bolt will be going back in. As for finding a junked case, I know of only one guy who keeps everything,but I doubt he would have a specific one. I'm frugal, but not that frugal to spend months looking for a used engine. I'll buy a horizontal and convert.

Now the high temp epoxy, JB Weld Extreme Heat, is rated for something like 1000 deg F.

What I mean is install the bolt that n the outside so there’s not perennial blow by going out of that hole. Sure there might be a little blow by around the threads but nothing like leaving it open.

What I mean is install the bolt that n the outside so there’s not perennial blow by going out of that hole. Sure there might be a little blow by around the threads but nothing like leaving it open.
Thanks, thought that's what you meant, just clarifying. So I'll clean off any burrs and metal shavings in the cylinder and bolt hole and put it back together today. Should work fine.

Thanks everyone!

My Nephew also found a nice rifle for my brother.

It is a Pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06. We will be putting a new scope on it, but saving the old one.

It says "Baush & Lomb Opt Co" "Rochester, NY USA" "Patent Pending ..."

It is 2.5 X 8 power, but does not have adjustable POI. The adjustments are in the scope base!

Thanks, thought that's what you meant, just clarifying. So I'll clean off any burrs and metal shavings in the cylinder and bolt hole and put it back together today. Should work fine.

Thanks everyone!
Be sure none of the ring ends line up with the hole and the you chamfer the hole a bit(very little).
Put the bolt back in with pretty much any sealant on the bolt and it will be just fine.
As mike said it looks to be just transfer(aluminum from the piston) on the cylinder wall and it should clean up just fine.
But you need to figure out what the cause was and fix that.

Be sure none of the ring ends line up with the hole and the you chamfer the hole a bit(very little).
Put the bolt back in with pretty much any sealant on the bolt and it will be just fine.
As mike said it looks to be just transfer(aluminum from the piston) on the cylinder wall and it should clean up just fine.
But you need to figure out what the cause was and fix that.
Got everything back together and am draining oil now. I didn't see your post about ring alignment or thread sealant until I was done. Fingers crossed. Got to look up oil capacity first, while I cool down. Man it's hot and I'm soaked. Yes, I still plan on playing around with the cylinder to see if it's scoring or just transfer. Bit as to the cause, I'm still scratching my head.

Trying to find the oil capacity on this B&S 6.0 HP 12H802 - 2349 - E1 engine. Having trouble. Without spending too much time, anyone know the capacity? I guess could just start with 16 oz, check it and then add 2 oz more. Repeat if needed.
Should be a manual on Briggs and Stratton's website.

Trying to find the oil capacity on this B&S 6.0 HP 12H802 - 2349 - E1 engine. Having trouble. Without spending too much time, anyone know the capacity? I guess could just start with 16 oz, check it and then add 2 oz more. Repeat if needed.
Usually says it by the fill plug in CC quantity.

Got everything back together and am draining oil now. I didn't see your post about ring alignment or thread sealant until I was done. Fingers crossed. Got to look up oil capacity first, while I cool down. Man it's hot and I'm soaked. Yes, I still plan on playing around with the cylinder to see if it's scoring or just transfer. Bit as to the cause, I'm still scratching my head.
Did you get a new piston/rings and clean the cylinder?
The bolt may be just fine without sealant, but I'd put some permatex ultra copper on it if I had it. I would do it before assembling it so if any goes into the cylinder you can clean it out. Once you get it running all you needs to do is put you hand near it to feel if its leaking.

Did you get a new piston/rings and clean the cylinder?
The bolt may be just fine without sealant, but I'd put some permatex ultra copper on it if I had it. I would do it before assembling it so if any goes into the cylinder you can clean it out. Once you get it running all you needs to do is put you hand near it to feel if its leaking.
The toasted piston/rings/cylinder engine is the ORIGINAL one. This REPLACEMENT one had the bolt problem. I didn't have any sealant handy, but I could back it out a few threads maybe and put some on.

The toasted piston/rings/cylinder engine is the ORIGINAL one. This REPLACEMENT one had the bolt problem. I didn't have any sealant handy, but I could back it out a few threads maybe and put some on.
Oh.
Just a dab will do. If you use a q-tip to apply it it can help, just needs to be around one thread completely close to the head of the bolt so it doesn't go into the cylinder. Most applications I'd put it on more liberally and closet to the tip of the bolt though.

Oh.
Just a dab will do. If you use a q-tip to apply it it can help, just needs to be around one thread completely close to the head of the bolt so it doesn't go into the cylinder. Most applications I'd put it on more liberally and closet to the tip of the bolt though.
Pipe dope will work fine as well, most any type of silicon that's "high heat" rated. Or a nice copper washer of you have any around.

Wow! I know you guys have talked about shortages in hand gun and rifle ammunition, but I didn't know shotgun ammunition was hard to find too. Dove season is around the corner and I though I'd pick up a few boxes of 7.5 shot for my 12 gauge. Nobody has it in stock. Any sources?

Wow! I know you guys have talked about shortages in hand gun and rifle ammunition, but I didn't know shotgun ammunition was hard to find too. Dove season is around the corner and I though I'd pick up a few boxes of 7.5 shot for my 12 gauge. Nobody has it in stock. Any sources?
It's slowly getting better around here. Still not the $20.00 for 100 rounds of bird shot at wally world but you can normally grab a few boxes to go hunting.

Always be prepared for a rainy day! In the late 60s, when the race riots were in full swing, the first thing the Gov did was temporarily ban the sale of firearms.

You were either prepared ahead of time, or you were not prepared.

My Dad accurately predicted that the riots would never leave the inner cities, because outside the cities people own guns. He was correct.

It's not hard at all to find if you're willing to order it online, it's the cost that's "hard" :cry: .
I'm plenty stocked up in everything except 12ga, probably buying another one and some more ammo with it today or tomorrow. Buying it for a reasonable price and get about the same value in todays prices in ammo :clap:. As mike said, why wouldn't I jump on that, those who are prepared are usually spared :yes:.
These guys have great service, but as I was saying their 12ga prices are still high.
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/shotgun-ammunition/12-gauge-ammoThe best way I've seen to buy lately if you have more time than money is of a local forum, we have michigan gun owners here in mi, I've scored some nice deals and non of it is recorded, which is fine by me.

Latest posts

Back