Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather's been good today, the storm tapered off sometime last night. Everything appears to be back to normal or close too it. Feel bad you lot that got it real bad.
We're having a beautiful sunny day on this side of the state. Nice and cool as well. Thoughts with all who got nailed by Ida.

We're having a beautiful sunny day on this side of the state. Nice and cool as well. Thoughts with all who got nailed by Ida.
Looks like about 8 inches yesterday here in York county. Awful muddy picking sweet corn this morning. Headin out to survey any damage to the pumpkin patch now.

Got the genuine Honda starter on the genuine Lifan Honda clone, better quality all the way. Started to noodle up the big stuff today. I took all the noodles and some bark and dumped in a mucky chicken run, 4" of rain yesterday made a mud pit.splitter starter.jpgbig half.jpg

You guys use felling wedges to bring down trees? I have about 10 or so trees I need to cut down near my house. Never used felling wedges or felled trees before for that matter lol. I've been watching YT videos of the correct way to cut notches. I want to angle these things so they don't destroy my fence. Should probably pay someone to take them down but I have a chainsaw and need an excuse to run it.

Just remember Steve, a boat is a hole into which you throw money ... but they can be very enjoyable!

Good Luck with the fix, sorry you will miss the 2 days! Hope you find an alternative.

I will be up at the cabin this 3 day with some Grandkids, etc.
B - break
O - out
A - another
T - thousand

I know the pain. I love boating/fishing.

You guys use felling wedges to bring down trees? I have about 10 or so trees I need to cut down near my house. Never used felling wedges or felled trees before for that matter lol. I've been watching YT videos of the correct way to cut notches. I want to angle these things so they don't destroy my fence. Should probably pay someone to take them down but I have a chainsaw and need an excuse to run it.
Experience is what you get when things don't go as planned :laugh:.
Another; the lessons in life that cost us the most we are the slowest to forget.
I could go on, but I'll stop there as most ly on the same premise lol.
Post some pictures and we can all tell you how we'd do it from our keyboards :badpc:.
Maybe start with the one you feel the most comfortable with and go from there :).
We do like pictures though :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: .

I use wedges on bigger trees that have enough room for the wedge and my guide bar between the notch. 12-14"+ diameter. A rope is way better if you have some help. Rope it as high as you can get it and pull the way you want it to go. Anything with a lean is a different story.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Just gonna leave this here
4ec41e2c2099a19e76ab62ea34a3ce10.jpg

Consider paying someone to fell them, while you watch and learn.

Then use your chainsaw to cut them up.

Win-win.

Maybe an experienced site member who lives nearby can come and give you some instruction or advice?

Philbert

Hey, watch out, I resemble that remark!!! (I never act my age)

My advice, learn to use wedges on trees that are NOT near the house or power line, or the road!!!

Rope is your friend, learn to use it and tension it properly. I really like it because it stretches. If a tree starts going the wrong way, nothing will stop it (not even cable). Also, if you pull too hard and break the rope or cable, you are IN TROUBLE!

A good rope with a rope winch works great. Never cut through your hinge, and make sure the tree is still solid (especially Ash).

Err on the side of being too safe, instead of not safe enough! Learn your limitations on trees that can not strike anything important!

My Dad's boat in the mid 70's was a 25' Bayliner. It had a Volvo/Penta stern drive (inboard/outboard) which was supposed to be the best available at the time. We would leave the boat at my brother's house as it was a much shorter trip to put it in the water off the Jersey shore (we mostly went out of Shark River Inlet).

Since we ran it on salt water, there were ALWAYS electrical issues with both the boat and trailer, and the trailer brakes. The motor was a small block chevy with internals that ran in the opposite direction (I'm sure this was done just to make it easier to get parts).

We often fished 5 - 10 miles off shore, and I can remember the weather "picking up" and the motor not starting. Often, you had to be up side down to fix the problem, and with the waves building, it did not take long for you to think you were going to blow lunch. My brother and I would "take turns" doing the work, but luckily he was better at it that I was.

Luckily it was a gas engine, because when you are out on a party boat in bad weather and smell diesel ... there is nothing worse!

But we did catch a lot of fish, and had a lot of fun. A lot of the limits on fish they have now did not exist back then. My brother and I caught 64 Bluefish one day, and we were surrounded by boats that could not catch a thing! We had learned some secrets that worked well there! We were using a specific lure, with a specific technique, and all the boats around us were using bait.

Unfortunately, what works in some areas often does not work in other areas. It was often a learning game! A local guy had shared some "secrets" with us after my brother and I stood with him during a dispute at the boat ramp. The other guys were being obnoxious SOB's.

I'm baaack! 3 months after my surgery and I can finally get back on the wood. I can feel it so I'm taking it easy. This free load of sugar maple was loaded with a tractor with forks. Sweet! Teaching my hound to sniff out the spruce!
270738294dfcda4744068c8286e7f5ec.jpg
3a82e1f94f9dbc1eab25c386d2dfb107.jpg

Back