Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How wrecked is it? Sheared right off? Hole in the case? Skag ripped off? Prop shaft bent? If there isn't any physical outside damage to the lower case, there's a 50/50 chance you'll get out of it fairly cheap.
Skeg shattered, big dent in gear case, SS prop damaged, prop shaft bent.

Skeg shattered, big dent in gear case, SS prop damaged, prop shaft bent.
Did you lose the gear lube and fry it, or come to an immediate halt? If you shut it down right away, the upper half is probably fine. If it's a Mercruiser Alpha, you might get it back on the water for under a grand and a couple hours of your time.

The small atv tandem axle trailers are fantastic. It can haul 1/3 cord on the flat through the woods. Not sure about hilly country. A down hill push could be an issue, but very capable trailers. Very expensive for what they are, but very versatile and worth the money if you plan to keep it awhile.
My situation has changed some, and I no longer scrounge. Just blow downs on our own property. I now use the trailer for chips and bark, as I cut/process in one spot, and it needs mucked out every half cord.
EDIT:
IMG_2797.jpgIMG_2798.jpg0901111235a.jpg0901111236.jpg0825111311.jpg0901111235b.jpg1129101220b.jpg1129101221b.jpg1128101327.jpg

I built (100) 1/3 cord racks prior to getting a forklift. I filled them all that year with the quad and trailer. I'm guessing it has hauled 100 cord over the years, an most likely three times that, as hauling rounds to be split, and then splits to be stacked. With the LogRite fetching arch and atv trailer the 2005, 330 Polaris magnum (4x4) has pulled tons and tons over the last ten years.
Still a great running machine.

The small atv tandem axle trailers are fantastic. It can haul 1/3 cord on the flat through the woods. Not sure about hilly country. A down hill push could be an issue, but very capable trailers. Very expensive for what they are, but very versatile and worth the money if you plan to keep it awhile.
My situation has changed some, and I no longer scrounge. Just blow downs on our own property. I now use the trailer for chips and bark, as I cut/process in one spot, and it needs mucked out every half cord.
I don't see that style come up often, quite a while ago there was one down your way for around a grand. I don't really need one as I don't scrounge much either, and when I do the tractor buckets work well. I sold my atv last fall but still have a couple trailers in case I need them down the rd.

Did you lose the gear lube and fry it, or come to an immediate halt? If you shut it down right away, the upper half is probably fine. If it's a Mercruiser Alpha, you might get it back on the water for under a grand and a couple hours of your time.
Shut it down right away. It kills the motor if you put it in gear. Gear lube still holding

AM lower unit is only $860. I’d go that route if I didn’t have insurance. But since this is the reason I pay premiums, I’ll let them pay to fix it with OE parts.

It’s an Alpha one, gen 2. So everything is readily available although the lower assemblies seem to be back ordered at this point.

I had just put on the stainless prop two weeks ago. I might have only needed a new skeg if I had the aluminum prop. But the stainless pulls it out of the hole so much better.

Shut it down right away. It kills the motor if you put it in gear. Gear lube still holding

AM lower unit is only $860. I’d go that route if I didn’t have insurance. But since this is the reason I pay premiums, I’ll let them pay to fix it with OE parts.

It’s an Alpha one, gen 2. So everything is readily available although the lower assemblies seem to be back ordered at this point.

I had just put on the stainless prop two weeks ago. I might have only needed a new skeg if I had the aluminum prop. But the stainless pulls it out of the hole so much better.
Nothing like smoking a rock or a stump at speed. I've done it twice but have been lucky with only having to replace a prop. I run aluminum on purpose. I won't boat without a depth finder anymore. It won't save you everytime but sure helps learn the waters.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Everytime we get a hard rain our lake fills with half sunken trees and stumps. Like riding thru a mine field. I usually put someone in the front of the boat just to watch for hazards. I sold my boat the first of this year, but I plan on getting another in the near future. I have notied prices are coming down now pretty quick since the lake is already being pulled down. Bet I can find a bargain in Caliboneya.

I'm baaack! 3 months after my surgery and I can finally get back on the wood. I can feel it so I'm taking it easy. This free load of sugar maple was loaded with a tractor with forks. Sweet! Teaching my hound to sniff out the spruce!
270738294dfcda4744068c8286e7f5ec.jpg
3a82e1f94f9dbc1eab25c386d2dfb107.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Nice dog , train him well and you'll never freeze :)

Had a good time up at the cabin for the 3 day WE with my Daughter, SIL and 3 Grandkids. We shot guns, rode the ATV, cut and split wood, and went for hikes. The kids also found several ring neck snakes, toads, frogs and Red Effs! I've never seen a greater proliferation of ring neck snakes as there are up there! Under rocks and rounds, and in the wood pile. Sometimes you will roll a round and there are 3 of them! Luckily, they are harmless, and don't even try to bite you even if you pick them up.

We had 3 22s, 2 shot guns, a Bolt Action 223 and my Buffalo Bill Model 94 in 30-30 (with 26" octagon barrel). I put a peep sight on it, and had some "light" 110 grain hand loads for it that are very mild (I loaded them to shoot to the same point of aim as a 170 gr bullet and used them to hunt woodchucks). They are very mild to shoot, and everyone (except the 7 year old) tried it and liked it.

We had rain most of the day yesterday, so we went on a hike with our rain gear on! Today was beautiful and sunny, so we went for a ride on the ATV to visit some neighbors, and got stuck in a downpour and had to change clothes (we were drenched) as soon as we got back to the cabin). Then it got sunny again!

Some pics of the views from some of my neighbor's places. I started some "clearing cuts" for my own view, but decided to put a lid on it till MechanicMatt can come up and help me.

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_125940086_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210906_125940086_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210906_130151526_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210906_130151526_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210906_151751408_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210906_151751408_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 13
More pics ... the gun cabinet and this is why I ALWAYS bring my chainsaw when we go into the 2 mi long drive way! Matt sometimes goes up w/o one, and lectures don't seem to sink in!

This Red Maple delayed our arrival by a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_104004540.jpg
    IMG_20210904_104004540.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210905_083216989.jpg
    IMG_20210905_083216989.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
More pics ... the gun cabinet and this is why I ALWAYS bring my chainsaw when we go into the 2 mi long drive way! Matt sometimes goes up w/o one, and lectures don't seem to sink in!

This Red Maple delayed our arrival by a little bit.
Hey Mike,
Looks like me with my fishing rods, all lined up ready for a Musky hunt.

Ran up to my place in WV Sunday. A few weeks back a guy called from the power company and wanted permission to bring his equipment on our property. Sure, no problem. Got up there and this thing was sitting in the middle of my rifle range. I found them on youtube and a video of their small remote unit, pretty cool.
BxQVRqM.jpg

JTNz7ZH.jpg

Back