Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2013 with 91k. Rust free, looks like nobody has ever riden in the back two rows of seats.
Congrats, sounds sweet.
Unfortunately and surprisingly my well loved 07 Yukon hasn’t sold yet. I’m down to $3250 and no serious bites. But if I can’t get a couple grand out of it, I’ll drive it till it dies.
How many miles on it, even a rusty one goes for that around here, they move fast when listed. Those yrs seemed to rust real bad though.
I hear stories from several people of traveling hundreds of miles and across several States to find decent deals on PU trucks!
I think its totally worth it. When you look at the rust buckets we have listed here taking a couple days off to buy something rust free for the same price is fair.
Have I ever said I hate rust :laugh: .

I drove 5hrs for my excursion last yr, no rust. My suburban was out of Oregon, but the guy I got it from brought it out here and I only drove 1.5hrs to get it. Snagged it up in the town of Flint, not far from @Flint Mitch .
When I'm looking for a new ride I search "no rust", "rust free", "down south", out west", and sometimes "clean".

I've only cut mine 3 or 4 times, it's just not growing. I think I've worked out it's deficient in nitrogen because of the 'saw chips left on the lawn, slowly rotting and robbing the nitrogen. If the 10kg bag of weed and feed looks like it changes things I'll but more in the spring

I was just out moving trailers around and whatnot, and noticed how li ours has grown since last weeks mowing. Seems it will be slowing down for the year fro here on out, which means cooler weather :happy:.
Looked at the split pile that will probably all be sold this year, the rounds from the mulberry, and a few odd sticks of locust out back, soon I'll be back to noodling and splitting as well as delivering a bunch of wood.
Nice to see the woodshed is read to go too, fires inside aren't too far off.
20210908_172537.jpg

Congrats, sounds sweet.

How many miles on it, even a rusty one goes for that around here, they move fast when listed. Those yrs seemed to rust real bad though.

I think its totally worth it. When you look at the rust buckets we have listed here taking a couple days off to buy something rust free for the same price is fair.
Have I ever said I hate rust :laugh: .

I drove 5hrs for my excursion last yr, no rust. My suburban was out of Oregon, but the guy I got it from brought it out here and I only drove 1.5hrs to get it. Snagged it up in the town of Flint, not far from @Flint Mitch .
When I'm looking for a new ride I search "no rust", "rust free", "down south", out west", and sometimes "clean".
The 329k miles....and i was truthful in my ad about what it needed. I have had two offers from somewhat shady characters that I would probably have accepted had they actually showed.

The 329k miles....and i was truthful in my ad about what it needed. I have had two offers from somewhat shady characters that I would probably have accepted had they actually showed.
300k is the new 200k lol.
Still should sell, if not now then probably this fall.

300k is the new 200k lol.
Still should sell, if not now then probably this fall.
If I can get at least 1500 it is worth selling....less than that and I will just run it till it dies. It has three tires on it with over 50 percent life and I have two additional used ones to throw on the last one that needs replacing.

My wife’s uncle died yesterday, Tony Perez, one of the finest people I’ve known. My son and I each treasure a handmade leather wallet that Tony made for each of us. Mine is stamped “TP 08/04”—I’ve carried it ever since. Tony was a great prankster. In his honor, I’ll repeat one of his stories.

In the mud room where I kept feed sacks for livestock, a rat got in. So I set a trap, a #1 muskrat trap because that’s what I had. The next night I heard commotion out there, and rushed out eager to find my rat. But I’d caught my cat instead. The trap had ruined her foreleg and I had to amputate it. But it healed well, and I made a wooden leg for her, strapped it on, and she got along well. You’d hear her walking—tap, tap, tap, thud. She did real well with that wooden leg.

But I still had to trap the rat. So I set the same trap again (the cat wouldn’t go near it). Some days went by and I heard a racket out there.

Nothing in the trap, but there was my cat with the rat in a chokehold and she was beating it over the head with her wooden leg.

For you guys out in Ohio, and other straight wall deer zones, I hope to have it ready for next year. A .430 that will fit in a Savage 99 magazine. It will only work in the 99C's, won't fit in the rotary mags.
dWa6iV7.jpg

I've loaded the pointed Hornady LeverEvolution bullets in both my 348 and 30-30 this year.

Unfortunately, they stopped selling the 348 bullets (they now only sell the fully loaded ammo). A shame, they shoot well with the same powder used for previous bullets.

The 30-30 was more difficult to get things to work well, but IMO it is worth doing. The Marlin guns s/b no problem as they have a 1-10 twist and can handle more pressure than a model 94.

The Model 94 has a 1-12 twist, and the 30 cal bullets are both pointed and have a boat tail, so they are harder to stabilize. (The 348 bullets are just pointed). The 30 cal bullets in a 94 need to be driven faster to stabilize them, which at Model 94 pressures can only be done by obtaining the LeverEvolution powder. (Specifically designed to provide more velocity for 30-30, 32 Special and 35 Rem at low pressure).

Luckily, the powder is available at reasonable prices. With the increased MV and greatly increased BC, the new 30-30 load provides as much energy at 200 yds as the old loads do at 100 yds.

Unfortunately, they also shoot much higher than traditional bullets, so you will need to adjust your sights (about 5-6" high at 100 yds).

I also installed peep sights on both rifles to aid my old eyes with shot placement.

FYI, hand loading the 30-30 with current day prices is about 70 cents per round for this bullet, the factory loaded bullets are about $2.30 per round.

I finally started to split the huge rounds. I had one that was 28" round and 29" long, it's all fresh maple. The log grapple picked it up but it couldn't get enough height to put it on the splitter, my loader is still dialed down from the dealer when I bought it. I cut it in half and got it on the splitter and enjoyed watching it pop in half. Since I was outside all day I did up 2 huge racks of ribs. Fresh maple wood smoked for 6 hours made for ribs that tried to fall apart coming off the smoker. Last week I finally got some CCI .22 mag polymer tip ammo. expensive but worth it if any coyote gets near the chicken coops.
ribs.jpgsplit round.jpg

I finally started to split the huge rounds.
When I first read this I swear I thought you were referring to:

‘ . . . the pointed Hornady LeverEvolution bullets in both my 348 and 30-30’, or

A .430 that will fit in a Savage 99 magazine’ !

WTF? Referring to firewood ‘rounds’ in this thread???

Philbert

When I first read this I swear I thought you were referring to:

‘ . . . the pointed Hornady LeverEvolution bullets in both my 348 and 30-30’, or

A .430 that will fit in a Savage 99 magazine’ !

WTF? Referring to firewood ‘rounds’ in this thread???

Philbert

Why not call them rounds? It's what I've heard them called and I must not be alone. It shows up if you search "firewood rounds".

People also ask

What are firewood rounds?​

Even though most fireplaces can fit a piece of wood longer than 16 inches, firewood is cut to fit in the cord and not the fireplace. A tree is usually cut up into 8-foot logs, a length easy to haul out of the forest. These are then cut up into six 16-inch "rounds," which are split into firewood.

How to Cut Firewood at the Standard Lengths | Hunker​

https://www.hunker.com › how-to-cut-firewood-at-the-sta..
A video on this

And yes I was happy to get 50 rounds of .22 Mag. cci Hornday v max bullets 22wmr polymer tip , It was expensive but worth it. Great varmint round.

David Chipman nomination withdrawal

FAIRFAX, Va. — The National Rifle Association today celebrates a major victory for our members and law-abiding gun owners as news reports indicate the nomination of David Chipman to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives will be withdrawn.

If we did not have the NRA and plenty of good members I would hate to think where we would be.

Why not call them rounds? It's what I've heard them called and I must not be alone. It shows up if you search "firewood rounds".

People also ask​

What are firewood rounds?​

Even though most fireplaces can fit a piece of wood longer than 16 inches, firewood is cut to fit in the cord and not the fireplace. A tree is usually cut up into 8-foot logs, a length easy to haul out of the forest. These are then cut up into six 16-inch "rounds," which are split into firewood.

How to Cut Firewood at the Standard Lengths | Hunker​

https://www.hunker.com › how-to-cut-firewood-at-the-sta..
A video on this

And yes I was happy to get 50 rounds of .22 Mag. cci Hornday v max bullets 22wmr polymer tip , It was expensive but worth it. Great varmint round.

How much do they run?

Why not call them rounds?
Absolutely call them ‘firewood rounds'!

I was commenting more on the frequent discussion of firearms and ammunition ‘rounds’ in the ‘Scrounging Firewood’ thread, but my initial reaction was genuine confusion.

PS - I posted this reply yesterday, but it appears to have been lost in the recent forum maintenance.

Philbert

Back