Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ain't kidding. My garden was producing tomatoes and beans faster than my wife and I could pick for a 3 week period. Things came to a screeching halt over the last week. Our hummingbirds have packed up and left and we're seeing big flocks of songbirds staging up to head south. Temps have been dipping into the 40's overnight, and the Lions will be coming on shortly for their first ass-whipping of the season.
Yep, fall is here.
I noticed yesterday that the grass is starting to die back already, I was kinda surprised by that. Looks like I'll have a couple more mows, then it will primarily be leaf management. The timing works well for me as I need to get some wood delivered and two or three tree jobs done and then start splitting again. Sold a splitter this week and bought another as well, 2 more to sell yet.
Today the leaves were falling off the black locust a little heavier, cherry trees will be next. Usually the locust fall from July on, this yr they were a bit wet, I think it was from how wet it had been. Now we need some rain again.

How much do they run?
The 22wmr poly tip CCI was $21, they only had one or I would buy more. I thought this was expensive until I checked online prices, wow. I guess I am stuck in time and remember getting Chinese 7.62 39 for $90 for 1,000 rounds. Yep it was dirty ammo but the price was so good shooting all day was nothing.

The 22wmr poly tip CCI was $21, they only had one or I would buy more. I thought this was expensive until I checked online prices, wow. I guess I am stuck in time and remember getting Chinese 7.62 39 for $90 for 1,000 rounds. Yep it was dirty ammo but the price was so good shooting all day was nothing.
I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know what I see. When I order anything online I buy a bunch to either get free shipping or to get my cost per item down. It's hard for me to pay full retail at the old prices, let alone at today's :oops:, but when it comes to necessities you do what you have to. I spent more on my last order than what I paid for the 2008 Toyota Camry I recently bought :cry:. But I try to look at it from the perspective that I saved so much on the Camry that the order was covered, it helps me justify it mentally :laugh:.

Ground too steep to drive down. If I was in a 4x4, sure. But not in the Sterling.
Yeah, but then you could have used the winch to pull yourself out :laughing:.
I've wanted one of those for when I couldn't get my tractor into a tight spot, but I've always managed to work with what I have.
Not sure I posted these here, this was a job I did last month.
20210726_181024.jpg
20210726_191136.jpg
20210726_191154.jpg
20210726_185237.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know what I see. When I order anything online I buy a bunch to either get free shipping or to get my cost per item down. It's hard for me to pay full retail at the old prices, let alone at today's :oops:, but when it comes to necessities you do what you have to. I spent more on my last order than what I paid for the 2008 Toyota Camry I recently bought :cry:. But I try to look at it from the perspective that I saved so much on the Camry that the order was covered, it helps me justify it mentally :laugh:.
Unfortunately I live in the peoples repulic of Mass and mail order ammo is not allowed. Waiting on the weekly roll of toilet paper, loaf of white bread and bottle of vodka. I sure hope I can trade the vodka for bourbon.

Yeah, but then you could have used the winch to pull yourself out :laughing:.
I've wanted one of those for when I couldn't get my tractor into a tight spot, but I've always managed to work with what I have.
Not sure I posted these here, this was a job I did last month.
View attachment 929272
View attachment 929270
View attachment 929273
View attachment 929271
Winches are indispensable, i have a 12k on my trailer 1001 uses. Quite a few times I've had it snaked through the woods off several blocks to latch onto a log, hang up or whatever else to make life easier. Have a wireless and wired remote for it. Biggest issue I've had is when working on a down hill I've had to anchor the truck a few times, on a heavy pull.

I bought some 22 wmr early this sumer, 2 boxes at shydas. Think I paid $17.00 a box. CCI maxi mag 40gr hp. Not a super deal, and I didn't need it, but it was the same as what I currently shoot and the new ammo I bought in bulk for it is 33 gr polymer tip stuff from remington. Bought quite a few boxes of that back after the last ammo shortage.

Seems like everything is early this year . Already picked the peaches and now the apples are falling of the trees with the slightest wind . This was on the ground from two of the eight trees
But I gots apple pie for dessert tonightView attachment 929314View attachment 929313
Wish my apples looked half as good. Old trees. Probably should just cut them down so I won't have to mow around them any more but I keep hoping for a good year.

We are good. @Bostonstrongboy1965 was probably a couple miles from it's path. I think 7 houses were condemned. Some right across the street from the elementary school. Good thing it happened after most children were home. I got stuck at work for 30 minutes. Family shelter Ed in basement
Thanks for the shout out, Keith! Yes, that tornado went just to the west of my property by about a mile to a mile and a quarter. I drove around as much as I could to see the extent of the damage, and it looked like a lawn mower had taken out a swath of trees, cutting right across route 1 just below 896. My wife was trying to get home from Delaware that day from her job, and had to keep detouring due to road closures. Grateful we had no damage other than the lower part of the property was totally flooded more than I had ever seen it in 20 years there. Our church is helping out as many of the people as they can with repairs and donations. Hope you guys are okay!

Attachments

• PXL_20210908_115300595.jpg
    PXL_20210908_115300595.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210908_115304780.jpg
    PXL_20210908_115304780.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
Seems like everything is early this year . Already picked the peaches and now the apples are falling of the trees with the slightest wind . This was on the ground from two of the eight trees
But I gots apple pie for dessert tonightView attachment 929314View attachment 929313
Those pies are a thing of beauty!

I am a better chef than I am a baker. I bake my pies and cakes in cast iron skillets. They turn out great but I am not so good with dough that they look pretty like that. One step at a time though LOL.

Dad's having a hard time with European hornets they are eating his with no mercy

Wish my apples looked half as good. Old trees. Probably should just cut them down so I won't have to mow around them any more but I keep hoping for a good year.
These apple trees are old to but I have been pruning them every February. The apples are coming in better . I have three I just planted so they wont produce for a few years. Also planted two pear trees to replace the ones that got blight and died off
Those pies are a thing of beauty!

I am a better chef than I am a baker. I bake my pies and cakes in cast iron skillets. They turn out great but I am not so good with dough that they look pretty like that. One step at a time though LOL.
I take no credit for the pies my wife is the Baker
Dad's having a hard time with European hornets they are eating his with no mercy
That stinks

Latest posts

Back