Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't like talking about 9/11 because it still haunts me. Even though I did not loose anyone I knew personally, I used to work in 2 WTC (first on the 25th floor, then on the 82nd floor). I no longer worked at WTC when the attack occurred, but I remember my Daughter saying a friend's parent did not come home.

I had to drive to a meeting in the Bronx that day. As I was stuck in traffic, I saw the smoke coming out of the top of tower 1. We thought it was an accident. When I arrived for the meeting, they ushered us into another room that had a TV, and we saw the second tower have been hit. The guy who had traveled down from Albany wanted to have the meeting. I told him that I was sorry but that we were at war and I had to get home. I had to go North, but all of the bridges into the City were closed, so there was a horrific traffic jam. I drove on the left shoulder of the road for several miles in order to make it home that day. I don't think I would have made it if I had left a little later.

We should all remember the almost 3,000 lives lost that day, and especially the first responders who rushed in when everyone else was trying to get out.

The trade centers were originally built for State workers, in this way they did not have to comply with NYC building code, just the Federal code. (Of course, they moved us out when the rental values got too high) In addition, they did some other "unique" things that turned out to be troubling. Building code 101 says you do not get a C of O unless you have both a door in the front, and one in the back, which make it less likely for you to be trapped in a fire. Translated to sky scrapers, they (almost all) have stair wells in opposite corners. Not the WTC, it had 3 stairwells all in the center of the building, wrapped around the elevators. I have watched the plane crash videos dozens of times, they would not have taken out stairwells if they were in opposite corners. In addition, there were questions about the fireproofing of the steel beams, but I do not have the expertise to comment on this.

When I worked on the 82 floor I told everyone I worked with we needed parachutes. They all thought I was crazy and said the windows don't open and are unbreakable glass. I responded that the glass would break, and did they notice this was the ONLY place we ever worked that did not have fire drills? One co worker said "what do you think your chances would be with a parachute?" I responded "a heck of a lot better than not having one". When I see the people jumping out of the windows holding hands I want to cry. The image is still burned into my mind.

We are having a beautiful sunny day here today, I hope you all are also. Enjoy it, time is precious.

Mike, I was in Dallas on a week long business trip, got stuck when the flights suspended and was there an extra week. I was regularly in the US before and after, either Yonkers, LA or Dallas. Each visit gave a different and much more personal picture of how the attack hit all Americans than could ever be gained from the media. I remember a young girl serving in a Red Lobster that my colleagues and I ate in every evening on a Dallas trip a few months after. The place was quiet and she served is every evening, and we enjoyed chatting. She was determined to join the army and protect her country. Commendable, but it struck me how young and (typically Texan?) Unworldly wise she was.

Thoughts with the WTC victims, the firefighters, and the many that served in Afghanistan.

However since today is my eldest's 6th birthday it's a happy day here.

I have a portable winch (capstan winch), same as in that video. Hardly ever use it. No disrespect to Woodchuckcanuck, but the pickup the winch was attached to will haul four or six times the load that the winch will, and do it quicker. Used to love my winch till one day my helper asked, Why don't we just pull with the pickup? Which is what I've been doing ever since.

The winch comes into play in that rare instance where we cannot get a pickup anywhere near. We used it one time earlier this summer. But most of the time the winch just lives on the shop floor.

Usually I hang a block in a tree, so the haul line is elevated to reduce friction on the ground. Can also turn corners with a block or two (as the winch can also). But the pickup (or a tractor) has multiple times the power of the winch.

One caveat: I can operate the winch myself, as I always have eyes on the load as it travels and can quit pulling in case of a problem. Due to the speed and power of the pickup, I watch and direct the pull while my helper operates the pickup. Sometimes I do it on my own, but in that situation I go slow with plenty of stop and check. Only time I ever busted a rope was pulling a hefty log that encountered a hidden stump which stopped its travel. Sounded like a shotgun (10,500 average breaking strength on the rope). A contractor working nearby came rushing out of the house. The homeowner, retired Coast Guard, never blinked. He knew immediately--"That was the rope parting."

I have a portable winch (capstan winch), same as in that video. Hardly ever use it. No disrespect to Woodchuckcanuck, but the pickup the winch was attached to will haul four or six times the load that the winch will, and do it quicker. Used to love my winch till one day my helper asked, Why don't we just pull with the pickup? Which is what I've been doing ever since.

The winch comes into play in that rare instance where we cannot get a pickup anywhere near. We used it one time earlier this summer. But most of the time the winch just lives on the shop floor.

Usually I hang a block in a tree, so the haul line is elevated to reduce friction on the ground. Can also turn corners with a block or two (as the winch can also). But the pickup (or a tractor) has multiple times the power of the winch.

One caveat: I can operate the winch myself, as I always have eyes on the load as it travels and can quit pulling in case of a problem. Due to the speed and power of the pickup, I watch and direct the pull while my helper operates the pickup. Sometimes I do it on my own, but in that situation I go slow with plenty of stop and check. Only time I ever busted a rope was pulling a hefty log that encountered a hidden stump which stopped its travel. Sounded like a shotgun (10,500 average breaking strength on the rope). A contractor working nearby came rushing out of the house. The homeowner, retired Coast Guard, never blinked. He knew immediately--"That was the rope parting."
One thing prevented us from using just the Sterling truck. We were on someone else's property and they wanted the least amount of damage to their grass. Tracks made by the Sterling truck would of rutted the field, the truck weighs 22,000 lbs. Second, the logs being on the downward slope, pulling with the Sterling would of buried the rope at the top of the hill causing more damage. I don't use it much either , only a couple times a year, but it earns its keep when needed.

Crazy weather but all good here.

You typically don’t associate tornadoes with South Eastern Pa but there were multiple tornadoes reported around us.
Psuiewalsh and Bostonstrongboy1965 are out in Chester County near Oxford and they had one rip through there.

Another one ripped through Fort Washington, Pa In Montgomery County, just north of us and partially ripped the roof off of a high school building.

Fingers crossed that no one got injured.
We are good. @Bostonstrongboy1965 was probably a couple miles from it's path. I think 7 houses were condemned. Some right across the street from the elementary school. Good thing it happened after most children were home. I got stuck at work for 30 minutes. Family shelter Ed in basement

I really don't like talking about 9/11 because it still haunts me. Even though I did not loose anyone I knew personally, I used to work in 2 WTC (first on the 25th floor, then on the 82nd floor). I no longer worked at WTC when the attack occurred, but I remember my Daughter saying a friend's parent did not come home.

I had to drive to a meeting in the Bronx that day. As I was stuck in traffic, I saw the smoke coming out of the top of tower 1. We thought it was an accident. When I arrived for the meeting, they ushered us into another room that had a TV, and we saw the second tower have been hit. The guy who had traveled down from Albany wanted to have the meeting. I told him that I was sorry but that we were at war and I had to get home. I had to go North, but all of the bridges into the City were closed, so there was a horrific traffic jam. I dove on the left shoulder of the road for several miles in order to make it home that day. I don't think I would have made it if I had left a little later.

We should all remember the almost 3,000 lives lost that day, and especially the first responders who rushed in when everyone else was trying to get out.

The trade centers were originally built for State workers, in this way they did not have to comply with NYC building code, just the Federal code. (Of course, they moved us out when the rental values got too high) In addition, they did some other "unique" things that turned out to be troubling. Building code 101 says you do not get a C of O unless you have both a door in the front, and one in the back, which make it less likely for you to be trapped in a fire. Translated to sky scrapers, they (almost all) have stair wells in opposite corners. Not the WTC, it had 3 stairwells all in the center of the building, wrapped around the elevators. I have watched the plane crash videos dozens of times, they would not have taken out stairwells if they were in opposite corners. In addition, there were questions about the fireproofing of the steel beams, but I do not have the expertise to comment on this.

When I worked on the 82 floor I told everyone I worked with we needed parachutes. They all thought I was crazy and said the windows don't open and are unbreakable glass. I responded that the glass would break, and did they notice this was the ONLY place we ever worked that did not have fire drills? One co worker said "what do you think your chances would be with a parachute?" I responded "a heck of a lot better than not having one". When I see the people jumping out of the windows holding hands I want to cry. The image is still burned into my mind.

We are having a beautiful sunny day here today, I hope you all are also. Enjoy it, time is precious.
We didnt hear from my BIL for 3 days no cell service and phones hard lines were overwhelmed. He was a NY state court officer and he was in Manhatten at the time afterwards they moved him to Goshen NY . They rushed them all down to the site prior to the second strike . He was also a Lt in the Bloomingburg Fd so they released him to the NYFD - he witnessed the collapse . He finally got a message out via his fire dept that he was ok. Lost a few friends that were Washingtonville Fd members and full time NYFD members that we rode with .

9-11. I'll never forget that day. Was in history class, the teacher put the TV on. Kids were getting pulled out of class left and right. Just horrible to see it all happen. I really feel for everyone that lost loved ones and friends that day. Very grateful for the people that were working to save the ones trapped inside, and hate the people that did it. I will never forget it.

I was just out moving trailers around and whatnot, and noticed how li ours has grown since last weeks mowing. Seems it will be slowing down for the year fro here on out, which means cooler weather :happy:.
Looked at the split pile that will probably all be sold this year, the rounds from the mulberry, and a few odd sticks of locust out back, soon I'll be back to noodling and splitting as well as delivering a bunch of wood.
Nice to see the woodshed is read to go too, fires inside aren't too far off.
View attachment 928646
You ain't kidding. My garden was producing tomatoes and beans faster than my wife and I could pick for a 3 week period. Things came to a screeching halt over the last week. Our hummingbirds have packed up and left and we're seeing big flocks of songbirds staging up to head south. Temps have been dipping into the 40's overnight, and the Lions will be coming on shortly for their first ass-whipping of the season.
Yep, fall is here.

Moved to different area for work, cut a load of wood to bring home after work ThursdayB68D1974-306B-43BE-83F6-70B205A697E8.jpeg60 miles on a rough road but at least didn’t go home empty and the Ford rides better that way. Did a little hunting after work too8BBE7DE0-4F85-4E84-AB9F-80CFACF3E232.jpegDidn't see much here but almost had a shot at a big mulie buck on the way home.
Some places pulling wood out with my pickup wood work but most places I cut are single lane roads and I’m by myself so capstan or chainsaw winch I think wood be much better. On hold for now sense I have access to trees that are right next to road with the recent die off’s.

I'm currently the only one back my lane that doesn't/hasn't had dandelion issues. Only real yard maintenance I do in spring and fall is put that weed and feed stuff down. Doesn't seem to help the grass much, but no yellow wave across the yard either. Also may help I let my grass get about 8" high before I fire the mower up.
As to the temp it seems sumer is hanging on for a bit longer, 80 something out today and supposed to be hot the next couple of days as well. I'm ready for fall.

Latest posts

Back