Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, the chopper that cleared them the last time was pretty cool too. Only problem they were clearing on opening day of deer season, on a mountain a few miles away. You could here the whop, whop, whop, of the chopper blades, then a high pitch, constant sound. Finally found out how the two sounds went together.

Well guys, no wood getting for me today. Wife called when she went to pick our daughter up from daycare. Apparently the bus she was supposed to be on was late, then when the bus finally showed up (wife was there at this point) my daughter wasn't on the bus. I was on my way to get the wood but, made a quick u turn to go get my daughter. Wife beet me to the school, and my daughter wasn't there. The principal was just about having a heart attack when we explained what was going on. They went to call the busses to find out if she got on the wrong bus. She's 5 second day of school. Not allowed off the bus with out a parent or one of the day care lady's, and they employ a "bus assistant" that tells the kids when to get off the bus, via a tag that's hooked to their backpack. It all had to match up with the paper copy that they have. So everything had to match up before the kid can get off the bus. So in the midst of all this my wife's phone rings. Here it's another school. The lady said there were two kids dropped off and she found them playing in the playground, realized they didn't belong and called the number on their tags. The stupid "bus assistant" told my daughter and another kid to get off the bus at this other school, with a few older kids that were supposed to get off. I was pretty pissed about all this. The best part wad after I got my daughter, I checked the tag on her pack and it was correct. The principal assured us this would never happen again. Not how I wanted my afternoon to go. All ended well, fortunately the lady at the other school was leaving late and noticed the kids that didn't belong, and had the smarts to Check the tags out. Really makes you wonder about letting you kids in someone else's care, thank God she didn't get dropped off somewhere else.
A parent's worst nightmare... Kiddo just starting school & doesn't really have the mental tools to say, "Hey, this isn't where I'm supposed to be."

Hey guys.

First day of school here. Also first night kids are spending with their mom at "her" new house. I have had them for the last 6 weeks. Dad is stag tonight, maybe. ;)

Bought a new to me suburban so we can comfortably road trip again. 6 people plus a dog in the quad cab truck for 1200 miles each way was a bit cramped.

A parent's worst nightmare... Kiddo just starting school & doesn't really have the mental tools to say, "Hey, this isn't where I'm supposed to be."

Glad all is well. Not wanting anyone to lose a job, but that assistant needs to go. There are reasons for redundant checks, and she missed them all.
We were informed by the school the issue had been taken care of. I don't know if that meant they fired the assistant, but my daughter got off the bus where she belonged today so all well again. Was quite the scare. Still don't trust them. Gave my daughter a speech about only getting off the bus if she sees Me, her mum, or her daycare lady. She seemed to get it. Now working on getting her to remember my phone number, kinda like hugging a cactus, lol, she looses interest after 717.

We were informed by the school the issue had been taken care of. I don't know if that meant they fired the assistant, but my daughter got off the bus where she belonged today so all well again. Was quite the scare. Still don't trust them. Gave my daughter a speech about only getting off the bus if she sees Me, her mum, or her daycare lady. She seemed to get it. Now working on getting her to remember my phone number, kinda like hugging a cactus, lol, she looses interest after 717.
You gotta' be more creative man. Make up a little song with the number, maybe play hopscotch while you're skipping across the sidewalk singing the song.

You gotta' be more creative man. Make up a little song with the number, maybe play hopscotch while you're skipping across the sidewalk singing the song.
Yeah, or buy chainsaws which when lined up have model numbers that match your phone number and park them beside her bed so it's the last thing she sees at night and the first thing in the morning. Endless possibilities!

Yeah, or buy chainsaws which when lined up have model numbers that match your phone number and park them beside her bed so it's the last thing she sees at night and the first thing in the morning. Endless possibilities!
That's grand that is lol.

On a different note, I finally picked up my new to me air compressor. 7hp Campbell hausfield 60 gallon. Should work a bit better then my 4hp 20 gallon CH. Got it in the house, changed the oil and hooked up my water separator. Took a wile had to dig up fittings for it. Pretty happy with it. Rated for almost 11cfm @90 psi. Beats the 6 my other is rated at. Only thing I didn't care for is it makes a lot of water and my little one doesn't. Just something I'll have to keep after. Going to get an auto tank drain for it and may be a dessicant filter instead of the cartridge filter I currently have. Wife wasn't super happy when she saw it, quite a bit bigger then she thought it would be lol.

Well, it was 57 years ago on the day after labor day that I was finally allowed to go fishing with the men on salt water! My Grandpa scheduled the trip out of Montauk every year the day after labor day. I think it was the only day of the year that my Dad went fishing, but in 1964, at age 12, I got to go!

We caught 84 Bluefish that day (6 people on the boat), and all the men got tired of reeling them in, so I got to do more than my share!

A day I will always remember!

Attachments

• MontaukSept1964.jpg
    MontaukSept1964.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 37
Back then boats did not have rod holders, it had 3 fighting chairs, so each rod was always manned. Also, they did not have umbrella rigs or surgical tube lures.

They trolled White and Yellow feathered jigs baited with pork rind. I went every year after that for a few years. Then, as folks got older, stuff changed.

The Bluefish were plentiful and pretty large, and some years we had Striped Bass mixed in.

That's the idea. Look at South MO or beyond. The other option for fine older trucks is the PNW. Loaded with good stuff! Bit of a travel hassle getting out and back but it appeared worth it on my travels. I really don't even look closely at much for trucks in the upper Midwest. Amazing how even late model stuff is rusting away!

Latest posts

Back