Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made another Red Oak shelf for up at the Cabin. Stained this one with my home made Walnut stain (good for inside use only), but I think it is supposed to be really good at keeping bugs out of the wood.

It is perched on the edge of my new trailer. Stained the treated decking on the trailer with semi transparent water based stain.
That's beautiful.

And a rope... round a snatch block and... Tied to a ford ranger
Exactly. I keep 100ft of steel cable and two snatch blocks with me when I am scrougeing. I run across a tree over the bank, I hook the cable to my truck bumper and the other end to the tree and start driving. If the tree is to big to pull, I cut it into sizes that I can pull.

Gotta tell a story about my grandfather, handed down from my Dad. They lived in ultra-wealthy New Canaan Ct in the 1920's. My grandfather bought an old junk station wagon, probably mid-teens or so, and used a can opener to convert it to a kind of a pickup truck. Then he took a buck saw and drove around town, cutting whatever he could lay his hands on along roadsides or open places where trees had fallen, whatever. Then he'd bring it back home for Dad's older brother to cut and split for the winter. Dad used to watch his brother cutting, splitting, sweating and swearing and thanked God he was too young to be involved in the work. They heated with wood and coal in the winter. Dad's luck held until the War, when his older brothers were married and exempted, and he got drafted right out of high school..
Here in upstate NY the ashes are all doomed from the emerald ash borer so I've been cutting a few to get through the winters. Used to buy truckloads of log length and cut and split them, but I figure I can cut enough for the next few years without buying any.
Picture is from a few years ago, when I had bought wood and had no more room on my single row racks. The "holz hausen" is fun to make, and this was was mainly done for the hell of it, bigger than necessary, but they aren't the best way to season wood by a long shot. They do tend to channel wind into the center of the pile, but also rain, and leaves tend to block the air passages..

Attachments

• DSCN2290.JPG
    DSCN2290.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
How'd the V10 handle that pull?
It was really struggling :lol: .
I got better fuel economy on the ride home than I do with the single axle 14' trailer with the ramp up and empty. I reset the "lie-o-meter" when I got fuel right after loading up, I was "up to" 11.1 by the time I got home :clap:. And I managed to get "cheap" fuel at Costco for $3.08 gal :nofunny:.

Here in upstate NY
Hey, I used to hunt in Margetville, up on Hubble Hill behind what used to be Kass's Inn.

In fact, my Uncle purchased a former saw mill from Elbert Hull, and we hunted out of that for years. (I believe the local HS students did a biography on him).

Elbert operated that sawmill by himself, with a trained horse that would drag the logs back to the mill, back up to unhook, and come back for the next log that Elbert would be cutting (the horse was trained to do it all by himself). There were a good amount of large Hemlock trees in that area.

He was also a water witcher, and could detect radon and gold with his forked sticks (at the time, in the 60s, he just called it radiation). He warned us not to sleep on one of the rooms in the saw mill. He also pointed out how the cows would not eat the hay in areas where it was coming out of the ground!

When my Uncle's first wife lost her wedding ring in the snow, Elbert told them where it was. They could not find it in the snow, but when the snow melted it was right were he said it was.

He was quite an interesting man!

Steve, good work on the dock. Are you not going to put tops on those posts? If I'm going fence posts I cut the top off at 45* so it sheds the rain and doesn't rot.
I needed to leave them long so I could run X beams to reinforce. And left the one long so I can put a lantern on it.

Hey, I used to hunt in Margetville, up on Hubble Hill behind what used to be Kass's Inn.

In fact, my Uncle purchased a former saw mill from Elbert Hull, and we hunted out of that for years. (I believe the local HS students did a biography on him).

Elbert operated that sawmill by himself, with a trained horse that would drag the logs back to the mill, back up to unhook, and come back for the next log that Elbert would be cutting (the horse was trained to do it all by himself). There were a good amount of large Hemlock trees in that area.

He was also a water witcher, and could detect radon and gold with his forked sticks (at the time, in the 60s, he just called it radiation). He warned us not to sleep on one of the rooms in the saw mill. He also pointed out how the cows would not eat the hay in areas where it was coming out of the ground!

When my Uncle's first wife lost her wedding ring in the snow, Elbert told them where it was. They could not find it in the snow, but when the snow melted it was right were he said it was.

He was quite an interesting man!
Small world, I’m friends on FB with one of the Hubble’s that I met in a FB group. He still farms their historic property.

Missed a lot, been really busy here lately. Finally got my new (to me) trailer home. Brakes needed replaced badly, got them on, then realized there is no brake wire running down the trailer!. Ordered a new plug, and some twin wire for it. Going to need to rewire it anyway, as I don't like the current light set up. Needs fenders, which my cousin says he has a new set somewhere. Underneath looks pretty good as far as rust goes, and the deck will make it several more years before I have to worry about it. Tires are about 2 years old, and look darn good. Bearings were in nice shape as well. Need to make some short sides for it, and get a tool box and winch for it yet, but I'm very pleased for what I spent on it. Gets it's maiden voyage next weekend. Hoping the weather holds out for a day or two, so I can get it finished up.
20211026_175106.jpg
In other news, the solar system is proceeding on schedule, permits have been submitted and the sight serves guy is supposed to get ahold of me this week. Supposedly installation only takes 2 days at the most. The permits and inspections are what takes the longest. So hoping to have it finished up before the end of next month.
I lit the furnace for the first time the other night. So starts burn season. Haven't had a 24hr fire, but I'm sure we're not far off from that. Wood shed I full, and I have plenty to split for next year and even the year after.
I had high hopes for starting my tree row project, but with all the rain we've been getting the field is pretty much a muddy mess. So that's been postponed for a bit.
Sadly my wife had to put her dog down yesterday, he's had a good run, and been a pretty good dog for us. 19 years isn't too shabby for a pomeranian. Can't say I'll miss him too much, but it did hit my daughter pretty hard. My wife and I agreed were not going to get another dog for a wile, my Shepard is still going strong so at least we still have one dog around. Now if the cats would all die off..... lol.
Think I covered the most of it, I'm hoping a get a bit more free time once work slows down. (Not likely)
Cheers all.

Back