Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan is no plan. I think a lot of people are fooling themselfs trying to prepare for a SHTF senario. I have heard many folks make claims they can hunt and survive. Poppy cock. Everyone and their brother, sister too, will be hunting and any wildlife will quickly become eradicated. If one truely wants to be able to survive, they need to stop thinking about hoarding guns and ammo. Sure its nice to have a firearm available, but as I pointed out, I cant carry 1000's of rounds of ammo and a half dozen firearms. Any seceret cache of such firepower will not be as mobile as a person might need to be when hoards of less prepared start storming the fort trying to take what ever you might have. One is much better to learn how to use snares and traps than rely on their firearms to keep them fed. Things like sugar, salt will become much more valuable than 22 shells. And maybe a copper pot if you know how to distill.
Aren't the hoards of less prepared the reason people have the 1000's of rounds.
I agree though, most aren't prepared. I'm not trying to run, anywhere lol.
And as you've said, much of the wildlife anywhere near town will either be shot or will run lol.

If it comes to survival mode, the 22 LR will be one of your most valuable tools. Will let you eat what you shoot, and will kill almost anything if you get close enough. But the real trump card is how much ammo you can carry.

If it gets ugly, your focus will be on chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, morning doves, pigeons and other birds (all 22 or airgun fodder).

It is easy to have thousands of pellets on hand.

I think I need to start up my own thread. I think I'll call it "Scrounging Firewood". I went back today to Wednesday's log, hoping to fill both ute and trailer again. No good unfortunately, it started to improve then got rapidly more rotten internally. I did get the trailer filled.

30th Oct 6.jpg

Check out the rejects! There will be some quick and nasty BTUs there in 6 months time once it has dried out for anyone who is desperate.

30th Oct 7.jpg

I moved on and found another interesting prospect. Another peppermint, looked mostly solid.

30th Oct 1.jpg

This one had also been cut down and must have slid a bit because it was about 10m from its stump and was lying in its own groove. I wasn't liking my chances of cutting through without cutting dirt.

Then I found that it had a crack horizontally right up the middle so I could cut half a round then just split it off.

30th Oct 4.jpg

30th Oct 2.jpg

The only other problem was that the road was back up there.

30th Oct 3.jpg

I didn't completely fill the ute but motivation was waning so I called this good enough. Shorter splits this time.

30th Oct 5.jpg

Seeing replies, I see I did not say that my Dad's Super M was a 1954. Seems to be several of them around this forum.

Waiting for a couple more guesses on the Firestone sign before I tell what it brought. Rarefish? SS396driver?
Not much of a paraphernalia collector I have to much junk already .

Canadian Tire changing tools. Just put winters on my chainsaw carrier. The factory Goodyear Wrangler summers are worn out. Thinking of going with BFG k02s next spring. Mostly highway with some off road. What are you guys running for all terrains?
08b28c2eb64450fbac5b6fb52dfa026f.jpg
11b3570d90069b66d732b8dd1e47417e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Canadian Tire changing tools. Just put winters on my chainsaw carrier. The factory Goodyear Wrangler summers are worn out. Thinking of going with BFG k02s next spring. Mostly highway with some off road. What are you guys running for all terrains?
08b28c2eb64450fbac5b6fb52dfa026f.jpg
11b3570d90069b66d732b8dd1e47417e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I've run BFG KO2's for several years on a few different trucks. Been happy enough I just put a new set on the F-150 4x4. Mileage hasn't been all good, new ones claim a 50,000 mile warranty.

Back