Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you are talking about, I have never seen nor hear of any ammo shortage until Obama era that started with .22 LR then reloading components then everything else was in short supply. Short supply...not no supply like we are now seeing.

But never have you not been able to buy ammo for ANY chambering until recently....the gas station here literally has one box of shotgun shells which is 00 buck 12 gauge for $50
I tend to agree with SVK here. Obamamania 1 and 2 caused huge price increased, but other than .22LR, you could still get ammo (it was just more expensive).
Sorry, one more OT post.

@muddstopper I ordered 100 rounds of 44 mag for that rifle. It came out to 186 delivered. Oh well, I will be good for a while. Hope that scope is fairly close to on target.
You need to reload man!

Cast lead projos, molds are inexpensive, and you can steal all your neisghbor's wheel weights to smelt down for boolits! (joking of course).

Actually, a lot of newer weights are zinc, but the big semi weights are still mostly lead.

I just got some 180gr .357 molds in to make some hunting loads for whitetail in the Henry.

Well, when I delivered a 1/2 cord of wood yesterday I noticed my little trailer was starting to bend just a little too much. So, I told the wife I have to be more "safe than sorry" and I went out today and purchased a larger trailer.

At TSC when you go from the 5 X 8 (13" wheels and 2,000 lb axle) to 5.5 X 10 (15" wheels and 3,500 lb axle) the cost more than doubles, but it should hold up a lot longer. Besides, the F-150 can pull a lot more than the old 2010 Escape could. I was happy to get it, it was the last one of that size that they had, and HD is out of stock, no orders!

When I got it home I stained the deck boards (yea, it has them too) and relocated the jack (the tailgate would hit it where it was). It is no longer centered, and only 2 of the 3 bolt holes are being used, but it works and it is out of the way.

I have not done it yet, but I'm figuring I'll have room for both the ATV and the ATV trailer in this trailer with the addl length.

I guess the only downside is that some of my tight turn arounds will be even tighter, so I may have to unhook it more often.!

x

So we had a bear attack our chicken coops while I was at work. He tore off some vents and a screen for a window as well as tearing off the OSB overhang. Did not get any birds but they were all shaken up, spilled the 5 Gal bucket of food everywhere. I had the SKS out the next night when I was home on the ready. It has a green flashlight a scope that the crosshair lights up and a red dot sight on the side. Never saw that SOB but I decided to add barb wire all around including on the roof that it climbed to get to the overhang. Lucky it never jumped into the run. chicken wire roof must have looked bad to it. I saw a SKS in a gun shop going for $1000 yikes, I paid $100 for mine back in the day. I am looking for good 5 gallon Jerry cans and I know lots of you have them. What is the best brand? I saw Wavian on amazon but it came with a carb spout, good old CA strikes again.
barb wire chicken coop.jpg

I tend to agree with SVK here. Obamamania 1 and 2 caused huge price increased, but other than .22LR, you could still get ammo (it was just more expensive).

You need to reload man!

Cast lead projos, molds are inexpensive, and you can steal all your neisghbor's wheel weights to smelt down for boolits! (joking of course).

Actually, a lot of newer weights are zinc, but the big semi weights are still mostly lead.

I just got some 180gr .357 molds in to make some hunting loads for whitetail in the Henry.
Donot, I repeat, Donot use cast bullets in the ruger carbine. The lead bullets will clog up the gas port and is hard as heck to get clean. Now if you have a bolt action or lever action rife, or a pistol, then by all means, cast your own bullets.

Reloading 44 mag isnt exactly cheap right now. New cases are $.40 apiece. Then primers if you can find them, and powder is hard to comeby and then you have the bullets. You can buy 240gr 44 mag sabots for a muzzleloader for about a buck a piece.

Donot, I repeat, Donot use cast bullets in the ruger carbine. The lead bullets will clog up the gas port and is hard as heck to get clean. Now if you have a bolt action or lever action rife, or a pistol, then by all means, cast your own bullets.

Reloading 44 mag isnt exactly cheap right now. New cases are $.40 apiece. Then primers if you can find them, and powder is hard to comeby and then you have the bullets. You can buy 240gr 44 mag sabots for a muzzleloader for about a buck a piece.
Cast bullets will be fine if you powder coat them. No leading issues.

We're actually going to play with some coated 62gr and 75gr cast boolits for 223.

No worries, I won’t.

I think it is time for a solar Electric Fence. The one I got at TSC saved my garden broccoli from those darn woodchucks! Well worth it!
Yea I have one in my garden as well But I don't think it would stop a bear. If it got on the 8' back of the roof that's a big bear. Got some log length to play with. I can cut and split small batches, I just need to keep a path to the shed open. Next week I will set up the wood boiler for the season. Change out any broken fire brick, clean the heat exchanger and test the water.
2021 wood pile.jpg

With the cost/availability of ammo, I’m almost tempted to buy a hunting rifle chambered in .223 to keep myself and kids sharp. You can still find .223 ammo almost everywhere and prices aren’t bad. It’s funny that SKS/AK ammo went nuts but .223 didn’t.

Well, the gov talking of banning imports of Russian ammo will do that, LOL.

Good quality ARs can be had for $600 or so, minus optics (with irons usually though.

It’s almost amazing that a .44 mag lit off through a rifle barrel can have double the muzzle energy compared to the very same load fired through a pistol.
I'm intsrested to see the MV difference between my 6" .357 revolver and 20" Henry lever.

I traded off my Chronograph a while back, need to get another one.

Hi guys, Greaser007 here:
I haven't chimed in these threads for a few years.
I am a Digger Pine scrounge up here in the Pacific Northwest, just north and west 60+ miles from the Dixie Fire burn.
Normally I would purchase a US Forest Service wood permit (4-chord each), and go in search of whatever was available whether Hem Fir, LodgePole Pine, Sugar Pine, Cedar, whatever was lying on the ground.
I finally figured out that Digger Pine (grey pine) grows prolific in my area of 600+ feet elevation, and now with the dry seasons and numerous wildfires, people are removing them.
How i get the free Pine is chasing ads in Craigslist under the "Free items" section. Free Bee's !!!
The catch and reason so much is available is because how many ordinary people own a Faller's Saw ? Few
So, i have two old Husky's I use: 1) 2100cd w/ 42" bar and green weenie filter.
2) 394xp w/ 42" bar and green weenie filter.
Thanks to finding Arboristsite.com I have been able to keep them running and on only 32:1 mix.
My wife and I haul our rounds in a 12-foot stock trailer because it is Low-to-the-Ground, for tipping-in the wood, rather than dead lifting each round like we would loading into a pickup.

I use an old homemade hydraulic wood splitter powered by a Harbor Frieght 6hp Preadator horiz shaft engine.
We burn 7-chords of wood each winter to keep our home warm and cozy.
Now, at age 70, I am wondering how many more seasons I'm gonna continue Scrounging Free Wood. hahahaha
For some reason, I think my two Husky's will out live me. LoL
Note: I keep my wood-splitter running nice from what I have learned here on Arboristsite forums. yep. a fact.

Hope y'all have a bountiful Holiday Season !! :)
ps: i haven't shot my Colt .44 revolver for awhile, but comforting having it.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 8
With the cost/availability of ammo, I’m almost tempted to buy a hunting rifle chambered in .223 to keep myself and kids sharp. You can still find .223 ammo almost everywhere and prices aren’t bad. It’s funny that SKS/AK ammo went nuts but .223 didn’t.
I lucked up finding a CZ 527 in .223 Rem in the crush before Nobama's first term. Best of all, it is a left hand model just right for my dominant left eye.

It’s almost amazing that a .44 mag lit off through a rifle barrel can have double the muzzle energy compared to the very same load fired through a pistol.
I have a model 29 smith with 8 3/8 barrel. I have killed several bears with it. Never shot anything but factory ammo in the gun. Would shoot 44 special for target practice because of reduced recoil. Never found a reason to load hot rounds, altho My hunting buddies wanted fire flying from the end of the barrel. The Ruger redhawk is said to be a better handgun for the hot rounds than the Smith. I suspect your Dan Wesson might be similar. I had one at one time but liked the Smith better. For the range I shoot, I dont think hot loads are anything but a waste of powder. I try for head shots only and dont take shots at running bears. I have seen bears shot in the shoulder where the bullet never reached the vitals and a wounded bear can kill a pack of dogs if they catch it. Best to let the bear run undamaged until it either bays or trees than it is to wound it and let the dogs catch it. A couple years ago I had a hunting buddy body shoot a very large, 761lbs, bear in the body using a 450 lever action rifle, the dogs caught the bear and the bear caught my buddy by the leg. He managed to kill the bear by shooting it in the head with his foot in the bears mouth. I post pics of his leg a few years back and it was ugly. This put me on the search for something with a little more punch than a 44 mag. I am experimenting with the hornady ftx bullets in 225 grain. I am hopeing to find the 225 gr pointed bullets will penetrate more than the 240gr hp I usually use, yet still expand to do serious damage. I killed a deer a few days ago using the ftx bullets in my ruger carbine. Shoulder shot. Ruint both shoulders but exit hole was the same size as the entry hole. Deer ran 30 yards, good blood trail but almost no blood where the deer fell. When deer was hung, lots of blood poured out both sides of wound, indicating lots of internal damage and bleeding. How well this bullet will work on a bear I hope to find out in three weeks.

Back