Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny, but that's a very true statement. Some even consider anything more than a 100 rounds hoarding, I considered that a fun 5-10 minutes.
I've been watching since my last purchase and I haven't seen prices drop any lower than they were on 9 and 556.
I have seen the price of 22 and shotshells drop a bit though.
Side note-I was on gunbroker and they have a lot of 44 mag ammo and much of it is only a shade over a buck a round. I was going to get some so I could use my Ruger 44 carbine.

Interesting cause the major websites and local shops haven't had it for months.

My younger Daughter and I were up at the cabin Mon + Tue. Monday was a beautiful day, but it rained all night and all day Tue, so we spiffed up the cabin! Cleaned, organized, and hung antlers.

We heard some turkeys on Mon, and I put my Daughter on stand and circled around. It was between us, but we never saw it, and she said another was also calling on the far side of her. We also saw an Osprey, a Deer (as soon as we came down from the Mtn) and 2 Otters on the edge or Rte 17 making their way into the river. It has been years since I've seen Otters, and it was way up in the Adirondacks last time.

I've never been a trophy hunter, always just a meat hunter, and mostly hunt in the woods, which is far less productive than hunting the farms, but I like to hunt so over the years I've collected some antlers (and have memories of lots of others that I did not get). The first 3 on the left were all taken with the rifle on my property, the next row is MZ, then Cross Bow, then Regular Bow. Most of the non rifle hunting was done down here in Putnam County NY. More deer down here, but less of a challenge, and you can't use Rifle!

We also made a crude shooting bench and bench seat to use as a stand on a 6' high piece of bluestone that is slightly up hill from a good deer area. We have a few newer/younger hunters who will be a lot steadier off the bench and not in a tree, and can have a "supervisor" with them.
Sounds like you had a good Daddy/daughter trip. Geez she looks like you!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Side note-I was on gunbroker and they have a lot of 44 mag ammo and much of it is only a shade over a buck a round. I was going to get some so I could use my Ruger 44 carbine.

Interesting cause the major websites and local shops haven't had it for months.
You should have listened to me and sold me that rifle and you wouldnt be having that problem. I am still interested in buying it. I am reloading for my carbine, but only loading 5 rounds at a time as I experiment with powder charges. Just to let you know if you do decide to reload for that carbine, dont load it like you would for a lever or bolt action or a pistol. The ruger carbine is sensitive to powder loads and to little powder can result in failure to ejects, to much can result in broken internal parts. The differnce in min/max loads is only a couple of grains.

Seeing replies, I see I did not say that my Dad's Super M was a 1954. Seems to be several of them around this forum.

Waiting for a couple more guesses on the Firestone sign before I tell what it brought. Rarefish? SS396driver?
I'm in at $3,750.
Yeah and many of them consider a case of ammo to be hoarding LOL.
I though I was bad when I bought the 3 box limit of 12 gauge at Walmart. :surprised3:

I have a '54 Super H as well. Been sitting in my barn for a few years. Engine has been overhauled and I have all the new parts ,pieces, decals etc.to finish but the cost of tires and and paint job is the hold up. Guess I should stop buying chainsaws. :surprised3:
That is the rankest heresy!!! For your penance you are not to look at anything but creamsickles.

Ya mean that everyone didn't always hoard Ammo???

I know that when Obama was Pres numerous Federal agencies that had never purchased firearms or ammo previously stated buying them for undisclosed reasons, and that contributed to the shortages back then.

Likely a lot of other factors present now. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, and the inverse. When folks get used to not working due to Covid, or just working from home due to Covid, or not working because unemployment paid them more, they kinda get used to not working, or only working from home, and figure out ways to continue doing it.

The drastically higher energy prices are also of no help.

I guess if someone wanted to tie up that much $$$ in ammo then let them...
Storage is important too.

I volunteer with some disaster response groups, including floods.

A few years back, we helped a guy haul several hundred rifle ‘actions’ (his description), and many cases of ammo, that he was planning on selling. Maybe he still sold em (!).

The actions were all covered with surface rust, and the ammo?

Philbert

All the talk about Farmall tractors . . . I had a Farmall C with wide front end back in the 1970s. (The narrow front end row crop model might have been useless in our rough hills.) I mowed, raked, and baled hay with it (New Holland baler with Wisc. motor, as the PTO on a Farmall C would not have sufficed), brought out firewood from the woods, used it for whatever. Even pulled our car up & over an un-plowed snowy hill when my wife needed to drive to her shift as an ER nurse. That was one great piece of iron. Hard to believe that a parade-ready M brings as little as you guys say. The Farmall C, H, and M were all great.

Jeez, all the tractors I've owned/operated are now collectibles. When my father-in-law bought a JD 4240 in 1982 (81?) I was in heaven. More powerful than than the 4020 I'd been working 300 acres of wheat ground all through the heat of Oklahoma summer. And air conditioned cab--sure beat operating in a a cloud of dust all day, sweat pouring off. I once mounted a thermometer on the steering wheel of the 4020 while working wheat ground day after day. It topped out at 120 degrees (engine fan blowing heat off the motor) and popped the end off the thermometer glass. God, I loved that A/C. Last I looked, the 4240 is now considered an old classic.

Same relief and step up when I bought a Gleaner G diesel combine with cab & A/C, 20' header, in the 1980s. We'd been running Massey Harris 1957 & '59 models, 90 & 92, with Chrysler flathead 6 engines. There's not a single inch of iron on those machines that I could not take apart and rebuild today, I worked on them that much.

Well, all good things must come to an end. Went into my local Stihl dealer and asked for 2, 20" 3/8 chain, he handed them to me, and said $60. 5-6 years of buy one get one free is over.

That ended for us fifteen years ago, and I think you can get them cheaper on eBay. That’s where I buy mine.

That ended for us fifteen years ago, and I think you can get them cheaper on eBay. That’s where I buy mine.
We still have it here at one place last I checked, but it's been a yr since I've been in there. I like the EXL chains a lot myself and the new husky x-cut chain too. I take my old stihl chains to a local dealer and swap them for new chains, they don't sharpen there so they sell you a new one at a discount when you bring your old ones in.

Edit: just reread Joe's post and realized he said buy one get one free, I'm not aware of anyone here having that, our dealer has(had possibly) a buy one get one half off.
My bad.

Had to go into town this morning. Pretty cool sunrise coming up over the Mission Mountain range.

View attachment 937552
Nice!!
Any New England/Mass scroungers? Crazy weather coming in that will cause a mess for sure.
View attachment 937581
Dang that’s some high winds! We had some pretty good storms last few days, nothing like that though. Some much needed moisture, and some white stuff up higherB4AF07CB-3844-4A35-8D3D-FEA50E97A281.jpegBrought my camper (travel trailer) home last Thursday, a day before this 967C3452-E637-40DF-A78E-0647F72D8B6B.jpeg70 miles and some 12% grades, glad it’s home.

Well, all good things must come to an end. Went into my local Stihl dealer and asked for 2, 20" 3/8 chain, he handed them to me, and said $60. 5-6 years of buy one get one free is over.
Loading up to go noodle some 30" rounds tomorrow. WTH?? My bag of 5 20" chains is nowhere to be seen. I may be making a trip to Lewiston to have 3 28" chains cut down. 100 mile round trip though so may be cheaper to just buy a couple new ones in Pullman - only a 30 mile roundtrip. I'll be sorting throught the bags of 25, 28, 32 tonight to see if some 20"s got misplaced.

Back