Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of buildings full of stuff, my parents’ estate auction was Saturday. 65+ years on one farm. I am on my way home now.
Anyone want to guess what an approximately 3’x9’ Firestone metal sign sold for?
The Farmall Super M that he had bought new and had restored about five years ago, “parade ready”, sold for $2800.

I have a '54 Super H that was my grandpa's, and just fixed up a Farmall B for the neighbor. They're a hobby like my chainsaws and I hope to add a few more of them. Sadly those tractor's don't bring much money, even if fully restored.

G'day scroungers, I got out after it again this morning. Perfect sunny day. Drove on past the spot I have been scrounging recently, looking for likely candidates. There were a lot of trees that had fallen or had been cut down by the forestry guys but they had done a fuel reduction burn so most of these trees were crispy on the outside which gets messy. Then I came across this one.

27th Oct 1.jpg

Good size peppermint that they had felled a little while ago judging from the drying of the end. Clearly a fair bit of termite junk in it, they love peppermint trees as much as I do.

27th Oct 2.jpg

I reckon I lost about a third of every round to termite junk in the middle but it also meant that the outer ring was easy to split off around it. Ended up with a couple of cubes of really nice stuff.

27th Oct 3.jpg

27th Oct 4.jpg

:)

I have a '54 Super H that was my grandpa's, and just fixed up a Farmall B for the neighbor. They're a hobby like my chainsaws and I hope to add a few more of them. Sadly those tractor's don't bring much money, even if fully restored.
I have a '54 Super H as well. Been sitting in my barn for a few years. Engine has been overhauled and I have all the new parts ,pieces, decals etc.to finish but the cost of tires and and paint job is the hold up. Guess I should stop buying chainsaws. :surprised3:

My younger Daughter and I were up at the cabin Mon + Tue. Monday was a beautiful day, but it rained all night and all day Tue, so we spiffed up the cabin! Cleaned, organized, and hung antlers.

We heard some turkeys on Mon, and I put my Daughter on stand and circled around. It was between us, but we never saw it, and she said another was also calling on the far side of her. We also saw an Osprey, a Deer (as soon as we came down from the Mtn) and 2 Otters on the edge or Rte 17 making their way into the river. It has been years since I've seen Otters, and it was way up in the Adirondacks last time.

I've never been a trophy hunter, always just a meat hunter, and mostly hunt in the woods, which is far less productive than hunting the farms, but I like to hunt so over the years I've collected some antlers (and have memories of lots of others that I did not get). The first 3 on the left were all taken with the rifle on my property, the next row is MZ, then Cross Bow, then Regular Bow. Most of the non rifle hunting was done down here in Putnam County NY. More deer down here, but less of a challenge, and you can't use Rifle!

We also made a crude shooting bench and bench seat to use as a stand on a 6' high piece of bluestone that is slightly up hill from a good deer area. We have a few newer/younger hunters who will be a lot steadier off the bench and not in a tree, and can have a "supervisor" with them.

Attachments

• HuntingCabin10-26-2021-1.jpg
    HuntingCabin10-26-2021-1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 34
  • HuntingCabin10-26-2021-2.jpg
    HuntingCabin10-26-2021-2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20211026_135508691.jpg
    IMG_20211026_135508691.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20211025_164145881_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211025_164145881_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 47
My younger Daughter and I were up at the cabin Mon + Tue. Monday was a beautiful day, but it rained all night and all day Tue, so we spiffed up the cabin! Cleaned, organized, and hung antlers.

We heard some turkeys on Mon, and I put my Daughter on stand and circled around. It was between us, but we never saw it, and she said another was also calling on the far side of her. We also saw an Osprey, a Deer (as soon as we came down from the Mtn) and 2 Otters on the edge or Rte 17 making their way into the river. It has been years since I've seen Otters, and it was way up in the Adirondacks last time.

I've never been a trophy hunter, always just a meat hunter, and mostly hunt in the woods, which is far less productive than hunting the farms, but I like to hunt so over the years I've collected some antlers (and have memories of lots of others that I did not get). The first 3 on the left were all taken with the rifle on my property, the next row is MZ, then Cross Bow, then Regular Bow. Most of the non rifle hunting was done down here in Putnam County NY. More deer down here, but less of a challenge, and you can't use Rifle!

We also made a crude shooting bench and bench seat to use as a stand on a 6' high piece of bluestone that is slightly up hill from a good deer area. We have a few newer/younger hunters who will be a lot steadier off the bench and not in a tree, and can have a "supervisor" with them.
It looks clean Mike!
Nice you were able to enjoy the time there with your daughter.

Everything is high right now, save wages...
Semi Rant:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I think some of the "shortages" are by design.

There is no way possible that many chamberings of ammo (and many reloading components) have been out of stock since Obama....Very few people I know shoot more than I do and very few people that I know hoard ammo.

Selling half the product (at double the price.. or triple...quadruple) is much more profitable for these companies.

Same goes for a lot of other consumables.

Semi Rant:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I think some of the "shortages" are by design.

There is no way possible that many chamberings of ammo (and many reloading components) have been out of stock since Obama....Very few people I know shoot more than I do and very few people that I know hoard ammo.

Selling half the product (at double the price.. or triple...quadruple) is much more profitable for these companies.

Same goes for a lot of other consumables.
I personally know a fella that has 40-50k 5.56 rounds! WTF!

I guess if someone wanted to tie up that much $$$ in ammo then let them...hopefully he has several guns cause you'll shoot out several barrels with that much LOL!
I bet if he has that much ammo he has at least a couple AR's, and a few other choices to boot.

Yeah and many of them consider a case of ammo to be hoarding LOL.
It's funny, but that's a very true statement. Some even consider anything more than a 100 rounds hoarding, I considered that a fun 5-10 minutes.
I've been watching since my last purchase and I haven't seen prices drop any lower than they were on 9 and 556.
I have seen the price of 22 and shotshells drop a bit though.

Latest posts

Back