Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How've you been fellas?? Did some cutting, splitting and stacking today. Working on next years wood.

Worst thing about NY is you need a squeaky clean record too, a few mishaps in bars when you were a kid ruins it for you when your a 40 year old with a family.
Yea, in part I just got lucky, I never got caught.

When I was going out with my first wife, she was from Ossining (a neighboring village). Some of the guys there did not like that, so they broke the back window out of my 68 Mustang GT to send me a message. The next week end, a few of us (6 car loads) paid them a visit (it was what you did back then) to send them a message.

On the way home, all of my friends got picked up and detained over night. They were looking for me too, but I'd stopped to get gas and they never found me. They knew I existed, but none of my friends ratted out who I was. Sometimes, it just pays to be lucky!

Yea, in part I just got lucky, I never got caught.

When I was going out with my first wife, she was from Ossining (a neighboring village). Some of the guys there did not like that, so they broke the back window out of my 68 Mustang GT to send me a message. The next week end, a few of us (6 car loads) paid them a visit (it was what you did back then) to send them a message.

On the way home, all of my friends got picked up and detained over night. They were looking for me too, but I'd stopped to get gas and they never found me. They knew I existed, but none of my friends ratted out who I was. Sometimes, it just pays to be lucky!
That’s awesome.

As one of my friends says I’d rather be lucky than good.

One of my Navy friends tells the story of a very crooked car dealer that was set up just outside of the Navy base. He made a business out of preying on young seamen and eventually the chiefs on base had enough of him and “paid a few visits”. The guy did get the picture and cleaned up his act after a few “visits” LOL.

Leave New Yorkistan. And Kommiefernia
Actually the only real bad part of NY is NYC and the bordering counties. Where I live it's very live and let live . At last count the ratio of CCW to population in Ulster was about 1 in 5 of legal age. Gun ownership in general is much , much higher. My wife got her carry a few years ago.

Maybe a HD plastic sled / toboggan and some rope? Maybe a few pulleys to redirect? Then, maybe a winch, or hooked up to any vehicle?

Just guessing without seeing.

Philbert
That's been our method for a lot of awkward stuff on fairly level ground, and was going to be the preferred method for this, until I found a skid steer rental for somewhat less than the national debt. Several of the bigger rounds outweigh me - and the ground is steep enough in spots that they just want to pull me back down the hill, if done by hand. Nothing to anchor to, to pull it up by winch. Seriously - if I was going to design the nightmare location (while still being fairly close to the road), this would be it - or would be, if I threw in some greenbriar and leaners...

If the guy hadn't had it cut up, I'd have hunted down one of those log lift things someone mentioned above (and which I am now lusting after) - but it *is* in his back yard - everything is tight, grassy, steep (though I'm reasonably sure I have a safe line to get the skid steer in and out). He thought it was ridiculous that the regular tree guys wanted over two grand to do it - I've been telling him all the reasons that wasn't as bad as it sounded, once I got a good look at the site. In the woods, I'd have gone with the winch deal - on a semi-landscaped back yard that I don't want to tear up any more than necessary, not going to work even if there were safe anchors. (To be fair, the tree made the choice of where to land - and there's not a chance on god's green earth I'd have tried to deal with it standing, so I really shouldn't complain... but I probably will. ;) )

FS, any update on getting any of your saws back???

Also, how is that 400 running? Hearing nothing but good stuff about them.
Stihl waiting on paperwork from Baltimore. So I'm told. 400 is pretty good. Probably would be better if I could get a few more tanks through it. Ya know how hunting season is. :innocent:

Scrounged a chestnut oak top that has been laying for a few years. I had to hack off the rotten sap wood but some good btu inside.
a0e3bd9148b0985fa01cc0ba937eb431.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihl waiting on paperwork from Baltimore. So I'm told. 400 is pretty good. Probably would be better if I could get a few more tanks through it. Ya know how hunting season is. :innocent:
Just saw an 044 pop up on marketplace for $250. Clean saw and didn’t last long. Looks like a fella snatched it and flipped it for 200 profit. I know your a Stihl guy and I’ve never seen one cheaper....

Back