Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just fell it, unless you're just wanting to try out the new gear, congrats on the new gear.
I also don't see how it's safer to remove the large limbs before dropping?
Trying out the new gear but more importantly learning how to use it at my own pace in a very nice climbing tree. Big difference from being restricted to the stem with spurs, which is my only experience.

The pics might not show it well, but there are a couple of large, long, and low limbs that could end up with extreme pressure on them. One of those trees where there is a lot of thought and caution when delimbing.

Anybody interested or any value to an old McCoulloch 250? A buddy of mines saw, He says it doesn’t run well. Looks like it was a beast in its day!

Attachments

• 84C9FD9F-DBCB-44A8-A024-E0B6479DAC35.jpeg
    84C9FD9F-DBCB-44A8-A024-E0B6479DAC35.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1976169F-5CF1-44EE-B9F2-EF5C3E0C8738.jpeg
    1976169F-5CF1-44EE-B9F2-EF5C3E0C8738.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 12
stopped at the local gun shop today, got a box of 308's ( I can't find where I put them last year) anyway there is a 308 Encore in the case, pistol barrel length , don't have one of those actions yet. it was very difficult leaving it there, but there is a logosol mill(M7) for sale near me for around the same $. decisions decisions:innocent:

For those who are not familiar with the photo, here is Teddy Roosevelt pictured with a Model 95 Winchester in 405 and his Rhino. He really never intended to take a Rhino with the 405, he used to call it his "Lion Medicine", but the Rhino charged when he was Lion hunting, and the rest is history!
1637284414358.png

Henry has come out with the "Long Ranger" in 30.06-243-308 that are mag fed so you can shoot pointy bullets.
I looked it up and it is box fed, pointed bullets, but only short action (308 but no 30-06).

So I conclude that it is 125 years late to the party, and still does not shoot the 30-06! (OK, so the 30-03 and 30-06 were not really offered until 1903 and 1906 respectively!) But the 30-40 Krag, 30 Russian and 35 Winchester could all shoot pointed bullets. I believe the 405 bullets were 300 grain round nose.

Winchester intended the 95 to be a military firearm, and the Russians used it as such, but it failed US military testing as they said a lever action was difficult to cycle in the prone position.

Really? Our State parks don't let you touch any downed wood except if you're camping.
A couple three years ago NE Kansas had high water levels at all the major reservoirs, killed a lot of mature trees, most of the flood kill was felled last year about this time, a few escaped but were finally taken down after the busy part of this years camping season. I live close by so easy to check when the maintenance guys drop one. Park manager told me if it’s down on the ground to take it. I do pile the tops neatly. It’s been a huge wood windfall for me, paved roads right up next to the cut site. You could not dream an easier scenario to scrounge wood! Only condition set forth was is that I cannot sell it, no problem there.

I haven't been doing much scrounging. Keep at it guys! My dad had a health scare and was in the hospital for 10 days. Thank God he's home now. Due to that and my brother who is the service manager at our shop we're ridiculously backed up at work.
I'll get some distraction tomorrow with the opener of WI gun deer season. Since this is also a gun/hunting/ammo thread here's a pic of my deer rifle. Browning A-Bolt in .308. Since I rarely shoot farther than 100 yards my favorite deer medicine is a 180 grain Game King at 2400 fps.
20211119_065131.jpg

Latest posts

Back