Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Historically we had great deer hunting near my cabin especially during and after the point that the wolf bounty was on. 15 years removed from the bounty, the hunting became exceedingly worse. The wolf population took a hit in the late 90’s then the deer came back. Now we are on the second slide and there’s no end in sight. Believe it or not we had bonus tags in the early 2000’s….now it’s been buck only for close to 15 years.

The coyotes have moved in near my home and our deer herd went down immensely in the matter of a year. I’ve got a new game call and two new to me varmint rifles that are itching to change that.

There are tons of coyote down here where I live also. A few years ago I was bow hunting on some local State land in the snow and saw evidence of coyotes taking down a mature deer spread out over a few hundred yards.

Lots of blood, fur and bones, and to tell you the truth, there were so many coyote tracks that it sent shivers down my spine as I stood there with a bow and arrow! I don't know how many trips they made back and forth, but there were thousands of tracks, it was scarry!

That said, when that college in PA did a study, they were surprised how many deer were taken out by black bears compared to coyotes.

There was a lot of bear sign on my upstate property this year.

I’ve been in the woods at dusk or shortly after and had animals (definitely not deer) in the woods near me. Even with a gun in your hands, the thought does cross your mind…I don’t have as many rounds as there are animals.

One time I flushed a bear out of thick ferns right at dusk. Only had a single shot 20. I think I was 13 or 14. Obviously the bear went the other way but I nearly needed to clean my pants lol.

Historically we had great deer hunting near my cabin especially during and after the point that the wolf bounty was on. 15 years removed from the bounty, the hunting became exceedingly worse. The wolf population took a hit in the late 90’s then the deer came back. Now we are on the second slide and there’s no end in sight. Believe it or not we had bonus tags in the early 2000’s….now it’s been buck only for close to 15 years.

The coyotes have moved in near my home and our deer herd went down immensely in the matter of a year. I’ve got a new game call and two new to me varmint rifles that are itching to change that.
I'm pretty sure at some point in the early 2000's we could take 7 deer around the Buyck area. Couldn't drive more than 45 at dawn or dusk there were so many.

When I hunted in Margartville, I used to come out of the woods along a Hemlock lined dirt road. It got real dark early, and twice I had the crap scared out of me.

Once, a Coyote let out a howl. I did not see him, but he was VERY CLOSE and the howl was so loud I almost could not believe it. I had unloaded the 348, and I could not get shells back in that gun fast enough.

The other time I stepped off the road to look at some deer tracks in the snow. All of a sudden, everything exploded above me, and branches were falling like rain! I had disturbed a flock of roosting turkeys and the clumsy critters were breaking so many branches in their rush to leave it was scary. It took a few seconds as I covered my head with my arms to realize what was happening.

Coyotes abundant on my land too.
Looks like you have a pair working your property. I'd get on them before they produce a pack!

In NY, you can hunt them, with a rifle, 24/7 in most counties (even where deer can only be hunted with shotgun)! My friend tells me a mechanical call with a mechanical movement device works very effectively.

Looks like you have a pair working your property. I'd get on them before they produce a pack!

In NY, you can hunt them, with a rifle, 24/7 in most counties (even where deer can only be hunted with shotgun)! My friend tells me a mechanical call with a mechanical movement device works very effectively.
24/7 here too. Just limited to .22 caliber after hours though.

When I hunted in Margartville, I used to come out of the woods along a Hemlock lined dirt road. It got real dark early, and twice I had the crap scared out of me.

Once, a Coyote let out a howl. I did not see him, but he was VERY CLOSE and the howl was so loud I almost could not believe it. I had unloaded the 348, and I could not get shells back in that gun fast enough.

The other time I stepped off the road to look at some deer tracks in the snow. All of a sudden, everything exploded above me, and branches were falling like rain! I had disturbed a flock of roosting turkeys and the clumsy critters were breaking so many branches in their rush to leave it was scary. It took a few seconds as I covered my head with my arms to realize what was happening.
I’ve had grouse blast out of the snow at my feet. Also pileated woodpeckers flying out of a nearby tree scare the bejesus out of you when you are trying to sneak up on deer.

My ex-bil tells the story about pheasant hunting in southern MN. Dog is on point at the edge of a slough. They are walking through standing water trying to get to the dog and wondering what kind of crazy pheasant is out in standing water. Just as they get to the dog a Turkey takes flight literally at the dog’s nose. He said at close range it sounded like a helicopter taking off lol.

Back