Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I roofed a house where a guy had a few 150' monster cottonwood taken down. It was milled up into boards and I wasn't sure what the heck the guy had planned for it. The house was new construction and probly 500k$+ house. The boards were milled maybe into rough sawn 1"×8". Not sure what the heck you would use such a soft board like that for.

Have you burnt any cottonwood before? Guessing it's like burning popple? I have a monster one to take down and was wondering if it's worth the trouble to burn. Thanks!
Yes, I have burned it before. It's not awesome, but plenty good for shoulder season. It's heavy when freshly cut, but light when seasoned. I'll take it if its easy or with the promise to get some good stuff with it. This is both. LOL

I roofed a house where a guy had a few 150' monster cottonwood taken down. It was milled up into boards and I wasn't sure what the heck the guy had planned for it. The house was new construction and probly 500k$+ house. The boards were milled maybe into rough sawn 1"×8". Not sure what the heck you would use such a soft board like that for.
I’ve seen a number of older garages where softwood like aspen was used as cladding underneath the siding.. Also, waterstained or bug eaten Aspen makes very pretty tongue and groove paneling. But I agree, it’s not very strong or durable for outdoor use.

Since this Scrounging section is used pretty liberally, I thought I'd ask here. This year, I "scrounged" a used 2 HP outboard motor. I got it started and then let it set. I want to start it up again and then winterize it. The gas mix already has Stabil in it, so I would start it, run it for ten minutes, dump the attached gas tank and then run it dry. Any thing else I should do before I store it for the Winter?

I want to be able to easily start it in the Spring and not have to work on it.
Fog your two strokes. Crap happens and if it ends up sitting longer than anticipated fogging is good rust prevention.

I think me and the old man will be selling some popple face cords with alil maple and ash mixed in next season since he is off a road that sees a fair bit of traffic in the area. Curious to see if people will buy it and what price it fetches. But hardwood goes for 55-75 a face cord
If you want to sell softwood and make the best yield, don’t even list it for sale until mid December. By then all the guys with hardwood have sold out and people have no problem buying seasoned softwood. If you try to sell it in June or August or even October buyers will snub their noses at you.

Thanks for the advice. I know everybody in the area burns ot because it's everywhere but will people actually buy it. Trouble with the popple is after a year or 2 the bark starts falling off and makes a mess. I will update once we get that far. We have plenty of popple to scrounge on our property as you can see in the pic. Plus a bunch more in other piles.

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_20211204_114046.jpg
    Resized_IMG_20211204_114046.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 20
Loads 4 and 5.
20211209_095208.jpg
20211209_095250.jpg
Boss man told his guys to bring some of the oak and maple in the wood yard, but dang if it ain't more cottonwood. (That's what he told them when I was standing there... they may have gotten different direction later.) Moisture meter varies from 19-47%. I told them I'm full up on cottonwood for now so still hoping to get primo wood later. We'll see.

Loads 4 and 5.
View attachment 947353
View attachment 947352
Boss man told his guys to bring some of the oak and maple in the wood yard, but dang if it ain't more cottonwood. (That's what he told them when I was standing there... they may have gotten different direction later.) Moisture meter varies from 19-47%. I told them I'm full up on cottonwood for now so still hoping to get primo wood later. We'll see.
Whats in that bottom pic? Looks like some various hardwoods?

Thanks for the clarification. Crazy how the same species of tree can make so many different looking logs.
I'll go back out later to smell and taste test a few logs but nothing jumped out at me as a different species when they dumped the loads. Yeah, even the bark varies on a few of these though.

Whats in that bottom pic? Looks like some various hardwoods?
I think it's just freshly cut cottonwood. Some of the logs have been in his wood yard for longer so look a little darker in the center.
I'll go back out later to smell and taste test a few logs but nothing jumped out at me as a different species when they dumped the loads. Yeah, even the bark varies on a few of these though.
It is something different - the bark is slightly different and it's not "fuzzy" where it's been cut. And it doesn't stink. Also: [Fake wine or cigar aficionado review snob voice] It's got a hint of chocolate flavor with a smoky aftertaste and a citrus aroma. [/Fake wine or cigar aficionado review snob voice]

No pictures yet but I looked at two blown down dead white oaks and a large Hickory blow down at a friends house . Easy access from driveway and road . The Hickory was alive but the oaks had been standing dead, little punky on the surface but solid inside they didnt snap at the trunk but uprooted what was left of the rootball. There is also a huge white oak that's standing dead but I wont touch it as it's near the garage and road and there are power lines nearby . Told her she either needed to call the state/town as it may be on their right of way if it is, once notified it's all on them . If not she needs to get a tree company there asap .

If she has to pay I told her just have them drop it I'll take it and since it's dead not many branches left on the top.

Word to the wise… One can accumulate enough petrified bar oil/sawdust in the area I am pointing to with a nail to prevent a chain brake from activating! Working on that poor 034 that has been redneckified at every corner! (yes the one that was partially assembled with tap con screws! )
Got the chain break working now and got the new spring on the worm gear for the Oiler so we have oil now too!

Attachments

• 39CFA735-74BC-4C99-92DD-521847826DD0.png
    39CFA735-74BC-4C99-92DD-521847826DD0.png
    10.3 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back