Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a deer along the road the other day, thought "What the hell?? Why is it so weird looking?"

Somebody had pulled the backstraps - it looked like it had an enormous tooth-filled mouth down it's back. Sorta creepy looking.
On an old So. IL forum, someone posted photos of two dump sites containing a dozen or so each headless, backstrapless deer. No tags. It was common knowledge that hunters/poachers from N. Il would come down state and trophy hunt for racks and pitch the rest. So the story goes.

I have two of those eco fans on my stove. One's been there for over 8 years and the other over five. Not cheap to buy but free electricity afterward. I had to repair one (motor went bad) after getting the stove too hot but otherwise trouble free.
All that said, I know what you mean about does it move enough air to make a difference and I can't say for sure. They spin fast but I don't feel a huge blast of air on my hand when I stick it in front of them. Nice and quiet and hands off so I guess I'll just use them to hypnotize strangers.
As far as the tomato, I think that "Canada" is the variety. Thick skinned, always early and just so nice inside.
I need to get some of those fans and do a few unscientific experiments.
You just made me look up "Canda tomatoes" lol. Evidently Canda exports a huge amount of produce, just learned something new.

lol. Nice wood stove scrounge!
Do you think the fan makes a big difference with heat dispersion?

Speaking of Canada, I was kind of amazed when I saw this tonight while making tacos for my kids:
View attachment 947048
I believe that may have been my first Canadian tomatoes.
Yes the fan or fans do make a huge difference.
Canadian Tomatoe... really...., thats most like a sticker put on top of the other countries sticker. 😁 Oh the tricks we learn from our southern neighbours!
Just kidding yes its from here. Short seasons but we make the best of em and the best ketchup period.

Yes the fan or fans do make a huge difference.
Canadian Tomatoe... really...., thats most like a sticker put on top of the other countries sticker. 😁 Oh the tricks we learn from our southern neighbours!
Just kidding yes its from here. Short seasons but we make the best of em and the best ketchup period.
I read the other day that they can grow olives and lemons on Vancouver Island!

Hey, no 10 pointer, but I filled my tag before it expired (it will expire on Sun) and will have venison in the freezer!

My MZ tags will still be valid after Sun.

First deer taken with my 870, I usually use the MZ in Putnam County.

Has a Hastings cantalever barrel with a 2.5 scope. Used Winchester 50 cal saboted 12 ga slugs (1 oz).

Shot placement was perfect, but no expansion, just punched right through the shoulder at 50 yds. Sunset was 4:25, deer came into view at 4:30.

He went right down, but I actually shucked another shell thinking he was going to get up, but he didn't.

I have now taken deer 6 years in a row (actually 7 deer in 6 years), my longest run!

Attachments

• IMG_20211208_192931392.jpg
    IMG_20211208_192931392.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211208_192944745.jpg
    IMG_20211208_192944745.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Hey, no 10 pointer, but I filled my tag before it expired (it will expire on Sun) and will have venison in the freezer!

My MZ tags will still be valid after Sun.

First deer taken with my 870, I usually use the MZ in Putnam County.

Has a Hastings cantalever barrel with a 2.5 scope. Used Winchester 50 cal saboted 12 ga slugs (1 oz).

Shot placement was perfect, but no expansion, just punched right through the shoulder at 50 yds. Sunset was 4:25, deer came into view at 4:30.

He went right down, but I actually shucked another shell thinking he was going to get up, but he didn't.

I have now taken deer 6 years in a row (actually 7 deer in 6 years), my longest run!
Nice job Mike :cheers: .

I personally think she tried to clean it still warm to hotView attachment 947225
I use a wet terrycloth towel to clean mine when it's "cooler", then I hit it with steel wool. It's very quick and it gets nice and clean.
Bummer that happened. Good thing she has you to help with it, super dad :numberone:.

Morning wood! :happybanana:

Widow neighbor called this morning because her tree guy was in her driveway wondering if he could drop a load of logs in his dump trailer at my place. By the time I got off the phone and put my boots on he was here.
20211209_083651.jpg
This load is cottonwood, but he's bringing back 4 more loads of higher quality stuff. Gotta take the bad with the good, but he said he won't bring me the monsters of 4-5' diameter. Says he has 500! loads, so I'm sure I will cry uncle before he is out of wood. I *almost* feel bad calling this scrounged wood when it's delivered. :laugh:

Have you burnt any cottonwood before? Guessing it's like burning popple? I have a monster one to take down and was wondering if it's worth the trouble to burn. Thanks!
When it’s dry it burns just fine, just burns quickly. If you try to burn it when it’s wet or not fully cured, it’s going to smell like ****.

The BTU charts say it is an equal of popple/Aspen but in my experience it is less dense once dry. They are genetically almost the same wood but cottonwood grows like a weed with large growth rings so it’s less dense.

Back