Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve considered one for hammering felling wedges, Ox 20 H-1257. What do you think of it for that? Or there’s one with a straight handle.
I've only used the maul... Bit heavy for wedge whacking
Glad I purchased my 2019 F-150 when I did, got a heck of a deal on it!

I hear that after 2.5 years and 15,000 miles I could probably sell it for mor than I paid for it!
That's not the deal your got, it's the price of all used vehicles up as new are in short supply

Well I scrounge up some cherry today . Must have falling during one of the last windstorms . Town was cutting the limb that was overhanging the shoulder. They left the bigger part whole ,as it was well off the road and looked to be on private land . I only took what I could pick up on the road . Going to ask the homeowner if I can cut the rest up . At least a years worth of smoker wood and maybe a couple of slabs BA7CA69E-E1A7-4F58-B08F-4F747369D658.jpeg

That Holden probably sold for more than a whole set of bias-ply tires.
I’m going to guess about 125,000 dollars. You can decide if you want them to be US, Canadian or Australian. Maybe even that many euros.

Good try...anyone else?

Hint - it was one of only 8 sold initially. That said, HSV would have stuck a few more together if there was the demand initially, I'm sure.

Good try...anyone else?

Hint - it was one of only 8 sold initially. That said, HSV would have stuck a few more together if there was the demand initially, I'm sure.
I'll go 110k down under dollars.

Hopefully I don't win, I'm a bit short on spending money right now.
20211210_160310.jpg

Hey guys long time no see, lol. Been real busy, real real busy. Had this last week off, didn't get out hunting, but I did get a lot done. Mainly at my brother's and parents house. Got the trees trimmed up at mom and dad's place around the house and side yard. Then started clearing the tree row out from the property they just bought. Gonna be a ton of fire wood out of it. Really not many decent nice trees in the row. So over grown. Think there will be a few big oaks I can save and maybe a maple or two. All the locust are dead or close to it. About 4 of them will take the 36" bar. But need to get the scraggly nasty stuff cleared out first.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Cheers.

Nice. That would be as big as the biggest one I have come across. Burned pretty well but the crumbly bark made a bit of a mess.

Yeah this was massive. Don't know what variety it is. Was only burnt at the base but the dozer pushed it over - must have been too close to the road.

Hey guys long time no see, lol. Been real busy, real real busy. Had this last week off, didn't get out hunting, but I did get a lot done. Mainly at my brother's and parents house. Got the trees trimmed up at mom and dad's place around the house and side yard. Then started clearing the tree row out from the property they just bought. Gonna be a ton of fire wood out of it. Really not many decent nice trees in the row. So over grown. Think there will be a few big oaks I can save and maybe a maple or two. All the locust are dead or close to it. About 4 of them will take the 36" bar. But need to get the scraggly nasty stuff cleared out first.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Cheers.
Was wondering where you have been. You didn't miss anything by not hunting. Worst year in many for a lot of guys. Rain just stopped here and getting ready to head down back with @nomad_archer for one last hurrah.

That's not the deal your got, it's the price of all used vehicles up as new are in short supply
I also got a VG deal on it, a 47,000 sticker for 36,000! I was there at the right month (by accident) for the right rebates! (Includes $1,500 trade in for 9 year old Escape).

Well, the tricked up Maloo ute (it was one of four I have now found out, not one of eight) sold at auction for $1.05 million AUD, or about $750,000 US. If you don't mind.

Setting aside the special place that Holdens have in the hearts of many Australians, it is madness. Even our 2017 SS which was around $65,000 new can sell for more than $80G now with 60,000km on the clock.

Well, the tricked up Maloo ute (it was one of four I have now found out, not one of eight) sold at auction for $1.05 million AUD, or about $750,000 US. If you don't mind.

Setting aside the special place that Holdens have in the hearts of many Australians, it is madness. Even our 2017 SS which was around $65,000 new can sell for more than $80G now with 60,000km on the clock.
That's insane.

I've noticed that with the old Defenders. I bought a 10 year old one in 2008 with 200k on the clock for 15 grand. They are now going for double or triple that with stupid mileage.

When I bought my 2006 Mustang new (at the end of 2005) the wife sees a poster on the wall and says "I like this".

I said OK, we will buy it. (it was a Ford GT). When she found out what they cost she told me "we can't buy that".

I replied that we could pull the money from my pension, that it would be a good investment. They were going for $125,000, and are over $300,000 now! Women just never know a good thing when they see it!

One of the 3 Mustangs I had when I got married the first time was a 68 GT 428 CJ w/4:30 Drag Pack option. They only made a few of them at years end, and Ford won the Winter Nationals with that car that year. Was the lightest car they ever put a 428 CJ in, was the first Mustang with staggered rear shocks (the Boss Mustangs later had them also), and it had an engine oil cooler.

I purchased it for $1,200 and sold it for $2,500 after the wife got us in charge card trouble. I have seen them go for over $500,000 at Barrett Jackson.

That's insane.

I've noticed that with the old Defenders. I bought a 10 year old one in 2008 with 200k on the clock for 15 grand. They are now going for double or triple that with stupid mileage.

Local fella here had a LandCruiser on order for several months and when it finally came in the dealer rang him and said that he had another bloke who was prepared to pay the would-be-new-owner $10,000 for the vehicle. Easiest money he ever made, just doesn't have a new Cruiser to drive around in.

What weight do you like for wedge whacking?
I don't fell so don't whack felling wedges, I scrounge tree service waste.
I hate it and noodle more these days, but have occasionally resorted to splitting wedges on a tough round. I use a 6 lb sledge as I'm more accurate.
I also got a VG deal on it, a 47,000 sticker for 36,000! I was there at the right month (by accident) for the right rebates! (Includes $1,500 trade in for 9 year old Escape).
That's a good deal. Used car prices are nuts currently though.

Local fella here had a LandCruiser on order for several months and when it finally came in the dealer rang him and said that he had another bloke who was prepared to pay the would-be-new-owner $10,000 for the vehicle. Easiest money he ever made, just doesn't have a new Cruiser to drive around in.
That's crazy.

New ones are in very short supply at the moment. And used ones are going for drug money.

Trucks dont lose value like cars do . My 07 5.9 Laramie quad cab is still worth over 20k . But a comparable new one is over 75k

Forget pricing my old ones seems they go up every week by stupid money . Guy I know who had seen my 85 at the C10 nationals in July offered me 28k for it. My two slantnose and flatnose are worth more.

Latest posts

Back