Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NY used to just have archery and regular season, but they have added Cross Bow (open most of the early archery season) and Muzzle Loader (which is after regular season).

They also have different seasons for Northern Zone (Adirondack Mtns) and the rest of the State, and most Counties now allow rifle during the regular season (a big change), but some still only allow shotgun and some only bow (no cross bow).

The normal MZ season (in the Southern Zone) is for 9 days after regular season closes, but this year they have added an additional 7 days (the last week of Dec).

There is a lot less hunting pressure during the MZ season, and the inline Muzzle Loaders are very effective deer harvesters.

Not only does it give us die hards additional time to hunt, but you get two additional tags ... one is for antlerless only and the other can be used for a buck or doe.
Interesting that you get extra tags. I know if they offered extra tags up here you’d have a lot more people taking it up. Our state has it kind of screwed up because you can only buy one license per year. So if you choose rifle you cannot hunt the other seasons even if you didn’t take a deer. You used to be able to buy a multi season license which was valid for all.

There seems to have been a big change in the attitude toward hunting in NYS when NYC realized that the deer were ruining the property buffers they had purchased all around the NYC reservoirs.

NYC has always been known for good drinking water, and it comes from the upstate reservoirs that stretch about 100 miles North, and include all of the Catskill Mtn region.

While hunting and fishing are generally allowed, there are no motor boats or swimming allowed in NYC reservoirs, and most of the large bodies of water (man made and natural) are part of the NYC system.

Interesting that you get extra tags. I know if they offered extra tags up here you’d have a lot more people taking it up. Our state has it kind of screwed up because you can only buy one license per year. So if you choose rifle you cannot hunt the other seasons even if you didn’t take a deer. You used to be able to buy a multi season license which was valid for all.
We can get up to 6 antlerless tags and 1 buck tag. Good for all seasons October thru the middle of January. I never get the antlerless tags. I didn't fill my buck tag so I can use it for either sex in our late flintlock season. Just need a flintlock now.

There seems to have been a big change in the attitude toward hunting in NYS when NYC realized that the deer were ruining the property buffers they had purchased all around the NYC reservoirs.

NYC has always been known for good drinking water, and it comes from the upstate reservoirs that stretch about 100 miles North, and include all of the Catskill Mtn region.

While hunting and fishing are generally allowed, there are no motor boats or swimming allowed in NYC reservoirs, and most of the large bodies of water (man made and natural) are part of the NYC system.
I remember that the Tomahannock reservoir east of Troy banned any recreation. The funny thing was, there was a causeway across the middle of it where people drove cars continually. So you couldn’t swim or even paddle a canoe, but any old polluting car could drive across it. They can’t tell us there’s no pollution leaching off that causeway.

The oil in it isn’t a problem?
Slight amount of oil actually might be good for growing things. In 1976 when I was working on an oil spill cleanup in the ST. Lawrence River--it was #6 crude from a barge that ran onto a shoal in heavy fog--at first we were lifting mats of it off the river surface with pitchforks--I had a contractor explain to me that some of what we were picking up would get used as fertilizer. Over the years I found that plants did well on the edge of where oil got spilled.

I remember that the Tomahannock reservoir east of Troy banned any recreation. The funny thing was, there was a causeway across the middle of it where people drove cars continually. So you couldn’t swim or even paddle a canoe, but any old polluting car could drive across it. They can’t tell us there’s no pollution leaching off that causeway.

I bet there is a lot of junk tossed out of vehicles also.

I always thought that they would use a flat surface like a cutting board for that.
Learn something new all the time.
It's easier to mix the ingredients in a bowl and then transfer to the flat surface.
With a lot of sourdough recipes it stays in the bowl for folding (rather than kneading) until it's ready for the final stages.

Latest posts

Back