Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of money for a wheelbarrow. Looks really handy for landscapers or maybe masons.

Specs.
  • 1100 lb. 8 cu. Ft and 45-Gal capacity sealed steel bucket with hydraulic electric ram lift
  • Quick release auto-stop brakes
  • Weighs 320 lbs
  • Articulated rear axle with 18 in. control handles
  • All terrain tires for sand, gravel, dirt, mud, or snow
  • 48-Volt 20AH batteries included
  • 6 Hour average run time, 5 hour charge time
  • 6 mph max speed, 16 in. x 6.5-8 in. drive wheels, 11 in. x 4-4 in. rear wheels
  • 90° Vertical dump

That's a lot of wood :happybanana: .
Is the double spar next to the garage(in the last picture) the cherry that needs to come down, looks like you're gonna be needing that wood soon lol.
Personally I'd start processing the driest stuff there and be ready to list at least a few cord on craigslist, many firewood guys are low on inventory or totally out. That would buy you a nice saw, and cover some new tires for the wheelbarrow. It's nice to let the wood pay for some new equipment.
Yes, that's the "chairy" that needs to come down. It's losing branches now so shouldn't wait another year.

I'm not sure anything is dry enough to burn now but I'll check a few splits tomorrow. Might be nice to stack a couple cords for February sales when it's cold, fuel prices are high, and everyone is out of wood. You're not helping me to say no to more logs tomorrow.

A customer had a Red Oak tree come down on one of his trails. Yesterday I cut it up into manageable pieces and cleaned it up. Brought a trailer load of the top branches to a neighbor and today went back for the good part of the trunk. The rot stopped about 15' up from the ground and the trunk was 24" across there. At the top, the trunk was 20" across. Those pieces are a hair over 12' in length and I have a 48" long piece between the two longer pieces. Got them home and bucked to 16" lengths, started loading them at noon, finished bucking and had everything cleaned up by 2:45 pm.

Another customer was bragging about his skid steer with log splitter on it. He said he can split LOT of wood in a day and not have to get out of the cab. So, we worked out a deal and I'll be picking him up with his machine in a few weeks. He said he could split all the wood I had in a day as long as I kept him supplied with Cap't Morgan. We will see. LOL
i13bLSi.jpg

r1Ij4JG.jpg

YES the trailer is overloaded. I ran the weight of the logs when I got home. If I knew they weighed that much I would have made two trips. Good thing the road was smooth and there was no traffic. Only 12 miles one way. There are electric brakes on the trailer.

That's a lot of money for a wheelbarrow. Looks really handy for landscapers or maybe masons.
I had to pass on one that looks pretty similar but the tires on the back are the same size as the front and it's 4wd, couldn't afford the $800 at the time. You know what they say about hindsight .

The Kubota is a MX6000, 60 hp. It's about the same size as my NH 2120 but with almost 20 more hp and a hydro trans. It should have no problem running my 74" snowblower. The NH did well until around 10-12" of wet snow. The first pass was a pain. Snow would pile up, stop, slow rpms, drive forward, slow rpms, reverse and rev it up to pto rpm again before getting back into the snow. Then I could take smaller bites as needed. I'm looking forward to the hydro trans with a true independent pto.
Had a nice afternoon and dropped 2 more ash trees. I have the bigger logs stacked on willow logs and the less than 10" on a pile. I'll buck it to size later in winter or spring. I want to get as many on the ground this winter as I can. The trees are pretty solid yet, all had leaves last summer but I still am really careful with ash. Even when they're healthy the limbs are brittle. **** flies everywhere when they hit the ground. View attachment 951411
View attachment 951412
Good luck getting your landscaping done, you're definitely racing the freeze now. I can't imagine this warm weather holding on much longer.
Looks like you had a productive day, and a nice time with your helper :).
I did the same, my helper is now taller than me by a couple inches. I don't doubt he'll hit 6' by 16, maybe 15.
That's a nice size tractor, mine are subcompacts, a b2620 and an L3800, they sure are handy.
That's a big snowblower, it's amazing how much more power it takes to run them when they get that big.
A hydro trans is a real time saver, I wouldn't want anything else for the work I do. The only thing is it would be nice to have cruise control on my L3800 so when I was brush hogging or tilling I could set it at a more consistent ground speed.
Ash is great wood as long as someone knows what the downsides of it are and how to work with them.
We got a good bit done here today, unfortunately we have a storm moving in right now. They are calling for 1-3" of snow and then before it leaves us a coating of freezing rain. I say they should stop calling it lol. I probably finished about a 1/3 of what I want to get done on the outside of the barn and the accessory drive, unfortunately that doesn't include what I want to grade on the inside of the barn. Oh well, I can only do what I can do :).

Yes, that's the "chairy" that needs to come down. It's losing branches now so shouldn't wait another year.

I'm not sure anything is dry enough to burn now but I'll check a few splits tomorrow. Might be nice to stack a couple cords for February sales when it's cold, fuel prices are high, and everyone is out of wood. You're not helping me to say no to more logs tomorrow.
That looks pretty easy, let me know when you're ready.
And by all means, don't stop on account of me 😎

Morning guys

“Snowstorm” is starting this morning. I use quotes because the weather channels so grossly over predict weather accumulations these days.

The house is a disaster after the holidays so I’m going to do some cleaning once a few helpers wake up. Potentially having a few kids over later for sledding.

Looks like this is the scrounging thread with all the wood pics. :laugh:
I almost feel guilty posting in the Scrounging firewood thread maybe we should start a "Gifted firewood" or "Delivered firewood" thread. Or even a "Sit back and drink beer while firewood is brought to me" thread. :cheers:

I had to pass on one that looks pretty similar but the tires on the back are the same size as the front and it's 4wd, couldn't afford the $800 at the time. You know what they say about hindsight .

The Kubota is a MX6000, 60 hp. It's about the same size as my NH 2120 but with almost 20 more hp and a hydro trans. It should have no problem running my 74" snowblower. The NH did well until around 10-12" of wet snow. The first pass was a pain. Snow would pile up, stop, slow rpms, drive forward, slow rpms, reverse and rev it up to pto rpm again before getting back into the snow. Then I could take smaller bites as needed. I'm looking forward to the hydro trans with a true independent pto.
Had a nice afternoon and dropped 2 more ash trees. I have the bigger logs stacked on willow logs and the less than 10" on a pile. I'll buck it to size later in winter or spring. I want to get as many on the ground this winter as I can. The trees are pretty solid yet, all had leaves last summer but I still am really careful with ash. Even when they're healthy the limbs are brittle. **** flies everywhere when they hit the ground. View attachment 951411
View attachment 951412
Good luck getting your landscaping done, you're definitely racing the freeze now. I can't imagine this warm weather holding on much longer.
Looks like you had a productive day, and a nice time with your helper :).
I did the same, my helper is now taller than me by a couple inches. I don't doubt he'll hit 6' by 16, maybe 15.
That's a nice size tractor, mine are subcompacts, a b2620 and an L3800, they sure are handy.
Big snowblower! It's amazing how much more power it takes to run them when they get that big.
A hydro trans is a real time saver, I wouldn't want anything else for the work I do. The only thing is it would be nice to have cruise control on my L3800 so when I was brush hogging or tilling I could set it at a more consistent ground speed.
Those ash do like to blow up when they hit, it's nice in the woods, not so nice when it's in a yard and you have to clean up the mess. Will you be milling any of it, it makes nice lumber.
We got about 3" last night. I moved everything I could into the pole barn to keep the snow off it. Looks like we'll be stacking lumber onto my trailer so we can move it outside, that will get the inside cleaned up so I can grade in there until the snow melts. It's already 35 out, hoping it melts soon.

Looks pretty easy to me, but many times they do when you're sitting on the couch :laugh:. Let me know when works for you and I'll see if I can't bring the boy down with me. Many hands makes...
I would certainly set something aside if there is anything that could be burned sooner, I think many will be wanting wood later in the season as you said too. I figure there are a lot of people at home still this yr, why not toss a few rounds/ splits on the fire to save a buck since they are there all day.
If you need to say no, say no, but remember you can always have a big bonfire if needed to make the pile smaller :blob2:.

Getting a little bit of snow this morning. Rain the rest of the week. The rest of the ash log I was cutting last week was stihl in the woods and with rain coming it would be a muddy mess to get it. Just a tad over 25' long. Cut it into 3, 8' sections and got it home to the pile.
20211227_103559.jpg

Well, for once in a Blue Moon I have what's left of a scrounge. This is the 5-6 dump truck loads of Black Cherry I got a few months back. Almost finished. I might have made it today, but it's COLD and raining. I was OK till I came in, now don't want to go back out. Got the chills and can't get warm. Maybe if I put long pants and a jacket on it would help. I just start sweating and take it all back off as I start working.
xhOP7Yl.jpg

gh5eyqj.jpg

9SPRixA.jpg

fMUfr4r.jpg

JIZZTa0.jpg

ydAg9Q0.jpg

Well, for once in a Blue Moon I have what's left of a scrounge. This is the 5-6 dump truck loads of Black Cherry I got a few months back. Almost finished. I might have made it today, but it's COLD and raining. I was OK till I came in, now don't want to go back out. Got the chills and can't get warm. Maybe if I put long pants and a jacket on it would help. I just start sweating and take it all back off as I start working.
xhOP7Yl.jpg

gh5eyqj.jpg

9SPRixA.jpg

fMUfr4r.jpg

JIZZTa0.jpg

ydAg9Q0.jpg
I need a load like that for my woodworking . Most cherry I get is small and knarly so it’s smoker wood

Moved about 30 wheelbarrow loads of oak today with some hickory thrown in .
Did someone say wheelbarrow? :cool:

I had to upgrade today to Wheelbarrow 2.0.
20211227_144716.jpg
And load 21 appeared (pine, I know).
20211227_135933.jpg
Then 22 and 23.
20211227_152624.jpg
20211227_160549.jpg
I know you guys were all rooting for me, but I had to call it quits. The last load he tried to dump in the low section of the yard - it was just too soft once he got off the driveway. So until I process more or the ground freezes I'm not taking any more.

Back