Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been back to the bush in awhile. We've had several real high wind speed storms since I've been back there. Lots of deadfall ash all over the place. Leaners all over the place too. It started to get windy as I was finishing so I figured it was a good time to leave the bush. There are sections of blown out tops hanging from trees everywhere. I've been cutting ash in here for about 8 years now, I can't imagine what other bushes that haven't been cut around here look like. The big ash that were blown over have very small root balls and most are rotted. There might be a few saw logs but most have pretty dark heartwood. It's still not frozen out so just cutting down and piling in the landings for now. Have to wait for steady really cold weather to haul home thru the corn stubble. Does anyone know what kind of tree my saw is sitting on ? It's also the one of the closeup log picture and the rotting leaning one. Elm?

Attachments

• 20211227_162327.jpg
    20211227_162327.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20211227_161740.jpg
    20211227_161740.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20211227_125449.jpg
    20211227_125449.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20211227_125518.jpg
    20211227_125518.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 20211227_122906.jpg
    20211227_122906.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
I kinda fell into this one. Buddy took it on trade for his boat and made me a deal. It is super clean, came with a plow, and the size is just right as about the smallest 4x4 they sold. I got it for the kids, not for firewood duty though. I said I got it for the kids! It's for the kids!!
Right for the kids. I was sure that’s why you got it!!

30-30 x 20 gauge. I just put the scope on it a couple weeks ago.

We’ve killed oodles of grouse with it but nothing larger than a fox with the top barrel.
I had one in 222 over 20 Ga 3" mag. Regret that I got rid of it, but you were not allowed to hunt anything with it in NY!

Why do you guys call quads by a name that was already taken? Four Wheeler magazine started in 1962, and it’s about Jeep, Landcruiser, Scout, Blazer, pickups, etc. I’m in a 4WD club with “Four Wheelers“ in the name, it’s referring to the people who drive Jeeps, Toyota’s, etc. Interesting, the differences we have in our country.

View attachment 951599
It keeps changing around here quads started out as four wheelers but someone decided that wasn’t cool enough and started calling them quads. I think they have yet another new name now but I am not hip enough to be up on it! Lol

Why do you guys call quads by a name that was already taken? Four Wheeler magazine started in 1962, and it’s about Jeep, Landcruiser, Scout, Blazer, pickups, etc. I’m in a 4WD club with “Four Wheelers“ in the name, it’s referring to the people who drive Jeeps, Toyota’s, etc. Interesting, the differences we have in our country.

View attachment 951599
I do agree too that it’s funny how region to region things are called different names.
we have a couple fellas on here that are in to snow mobiles or at least I thing that’s what they are referring to. This Indiana boy clearly doesn’t know “sled lingo” lol

I had to pass on one that looks pretty similar but the tires on the back are the same size as the front and it's 4wd, couldn't afford the $800 at the time. You know what they say about hindsight .
I've kicked myself many times over things like that. I found a newer NH skid loader on CL with a blown engine. I think he wanted 10k for it IIRC. I waffled on it for half a day, called him and found out he had just got off the phone with a guy from IN who was coming to pick it up for asking price.
Looks like you had a productive day, and a nice time with your helper :).
I did the same, my helper is now taller than me by a couple inches. I don't doubt he'll hit 6' by 16, maybe 15.
I love having him in the woods with me. He can put the chokers on logs, throw splits, drag brush and just keep me company. I think this one will outgrow my 6'4" self. He's 8, 4'9" and 105 lbs. He can almost beat my wife arm wrestling already.
That's a nice size tractor, mine are subcompacts, a b2620 and an L3800, they sure are handy.
Big snowblower! It's amazing how much more power it takes to run them when they get that big.
A hydro trans is a real time saver, I wouldn't want anything else for the work I do. The only thing is it would be nice to have cruise control on my L3800 so when I was brush hogging or tilling I could set it at a more consistent ground speed.
It is perfect for what I do. Doesn't tear up the yard too badly with the R4 implement tires. Yeah the big snowblowers take a bit to run, my biggest problem with the NH was keeping the proper feed rate/ground speed to keep the blower loaded up. Loving the hydro so far, love it for loaded work. The cruise control is really nice for brush hogging.
Those ash do like to blow up when they hit, it's nice in the woods, not so nice when it's in a yard and you have to clean up the mess. Will you be milling any of it, it makes nice lumber.
I have 3 more that I have to drop on our lawn but the ground needs to freeze first. I'm dreading all the raking. The trees I've taken downtime last couple weeks have been from an old field edge so they're all destined for firewood. Don't want to risk wrecking a band saw blade. I'm definitely going to have some milled from some dandy 24-30" DBH trees that I have in the woods. Everything I make in the future is going to be made with ash. I like how it looks.
We got about 3" last night. I moved everything I could into the pole barn to keep the snow off it. Looks like we'll be stacking lumber onto my trailer so we can move it outside, that will get the inside cleaned up so I can grade in there until the snow melts. It's already 35 out, hoping it melts soon.
We got about 3" as well. Just enough to make a mess. It's almost all melted already. Looks like 2-4" tonight with rain mixed in at times. I wish it'd just snow and stay cold.

Talked to a friend of a friend who does tree service on the side. He said he'd be willing to drop off logs when he is in the area as he "hates firewood". Is this common? Will I end up seeing any?
Possibly, but it could be a year from now and on his schedule, not yours. This is about half of what I got delivered to me from a tree service in the last 10 days. Oh, and you might have to take some lesser quality wood to get some good stuff. 20211226_161814.jpg

If you’re not moving it more than 50 mi there probably isn’t much spreading left to be done.
Yea, that's kind of what I thought. These are all local trees that I'll be cutting up and I don't take any Ash into the State Parks I camp at. The one I do camp at has dead Ash all over and the park people are cutting them down and burning them. Still, I don't take any.

This tree guy has the Ash all piled up on the burn pile and has a rock road close so I'll be cutting periodically before he lights the fire. More for exercise that need of wood (lol). I just hate to see good wood go to waste. Still, I'll show some restraint so I don't get more than I can use in the coming years. Other wise, it will rot and be wasted anyway.

The trouble with government ... they implement the 50 mi rule on Ash in NYS to prevent the spread of EAB, but now that it is all over the State the rule no longer makes sense ... but government never removes a rule, they just keep making them!

It is also illegal for me to bring firewood into CT, which is about 5 miles away!

Luckily, I have a wood source in CT.

The trouble with government ... they implement the 50 mi rule on Ash in NYS to prevent the spread of EAB, but now that it is all over the State the rule no longer makes sense ... but government never removes a rule, they just keep making them!

It is also illegal for me to bring firewood into CT, which is about 5 miles away!

Luckily, I have a wood source in CT.
Don’t think they enforce it anymore. I have the forms somewhere to transport wood . Had to fill it out before you left the wood lot . Starting and ending point. Had one DEP cop pull me over years ago . Had the form filled out he googled the addresses and it came out to 55 miles . He said he was going to write me a summons . Told him it’s as the crow flies not the roads . It was 35 in a straight line . Told him I don’t think the Ash borers use Ubers to go from tree to tree. He laughed and said have a nice day

Back