Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Make your spouse your best friend. That means taking an interest in things that she likes doing too even if you don't. And do not complain about it.
2. No double standards. It is ok for you to go out and drink, but it is not for her, or you want a new toy, but she cannot.
3. If your wife worked like mine did for 40 years and she comes home from work and says I do not feel like cooking my first response, where do want to go and eat.
4. My wife and I had a rule. Neither one of us could spend more than 50 dollars on something without talking to the other one first. That is a toughy. That could probably be more in this day and age. That stopped alot of arguements.
5. My saying that I used for 48 years. I am not a mind reader you need to tell me what is going on no matter what it is.
6. My other saying I had, and this will be the last. We can work together and have a great happy marriage, or we can argue with each other and make ourselves miserable for the next 30 years. Your choice which one do you want.
Amen!

For milling or for firewood? I've never burned Sycamore but I always heard that was one of the few to let lay where it is.
I like sycamore…drys fast, burns well, easy to split, doesn’t leave a lot of ash.
not way up there in BTUs but if free it’s a no-brained imo.

I like sycamore…drys fast, burns well, easy to split, doesn’t leave a lot of ash.
not way up there in BTUs but if free it’s a no-brained imo.

I’ve only burned sycamore in campfires, it made a fine campfire. I know it from along the Kings River, we occasionally cut through it on the hiking trail I help on. It’s bad for suckers sticking out into the trail.

I was wondering that too. The sycamore in MI is more of a light colored tree like whiteish to yellow tan
Zoom in on it and you can tell on the pieces just right of center and the one right of center closest to the side. I thought red and white oak when I saw it, once zoomed in it was a dead ringer for sycamore.

Well I may actually get to cut some wood finally!!! Some white oak and dead ash way up on a hill that one can only climb after a few days below freezing. Just now getting some of that weather.
May go help a fine young fella from church buck up a big maple limb too. He says it’s too much for his 16 troybilt. Thought that might let me get a tank of fuel through my 700 that has sat for a spell, or maybe the 10-10 lightweight, or maybe roadkill with the new bar or maybe my new 700 I haven’t got to play umm I mean work with yet!!
so many saws , so little time!

While I’m on yellow saws, how bout another shade of yellow aka a cub cadet??? I believe they are made by , well never mind, I forgot!!
No experience with those at all it just came in a package deal. Very clean and not seen much use. Maybe because it is quirky as all get out . Hard to start, runs great, then horrible. Did they basics like rebuild carb, new lines and looked over things for places air could sneak in and still the same.
I'm assuming seals.
Worth my time or part it out??

Wow. Just heard in there were two burglaries in my little town of 600 people in broad daylight this afternoon. Happened about 5 blocks from where I was working.
That is sad.
I live in a small town also with about 200 people. Alot of us have mailboxes that sit out on a county dirt road about 1 mile from my house. Well, someone started coming around stealing things out of the mailboxes. So, I had to install a locking type mailbox. Even in the rural areas things are starting to change and not for the good.

1. Make your spouse your best friend. That means taking an interest in things that she likes doing too even if you don't. And do not complain about it.
2. No double standards. It is ok for you to go out and drink, but it is not for her, or you want a new toy, but she cannot.
3. If your wife worked like mine did for 40 years and she comes home from work and says I do not feel like cooking my first response, where do want to go and eat.
4. My wife and I had a rule. Neither one of us could spend more than 50 dollars on something without talking to the other one first. That is a toughy. That could probably be more in this day and age. That stopped alot of arguements.
5. My saying that I used for 48 years. I am not a mind reader you need to tell me what is going on no matter what it is.
6. My other saying I had, and this will be the last. We can work together and have a great happy marriage, or we can argue with each other and make ourselves miserable for the next 30 years. Your choice which one do you want.
Thanks for sharing 3000 FPS

That is sad.
I live in a small town also with about 200 people. Alot of us have mailboxes that sit out on a county dirt road about 1 mile from my house. Well, someone started coming around stealing things out of the mailboxes. So, I had to install a locking type mailbox. Even in the rural areas things are starting to change and not for the good.
Stupidity is about the only thing going on these days. Crazy how things have changed drastically in the last 10 or more years. I graduated in 98 and from then till now it's night and day differences,what the heck!?!?

Well I may actually get to cut some wood finally!!! Some white oak and dead ash way up on a hill that one can only climb after a few days below freezing. Just now getting some of that weather.
May go help a fine young fella from church buck up a big maple limb too. He says it’s too much for his 16 troybilt. Thought that might let me get a tank of fuel through my 700 that has sat for a spell, or maybe the 10-10 lightweight, or maybe roadkill with the new bar or maybe my new 700 I haven’t got to play umm I mean work with yet!!

While I’m on yellow saws, how bout another shade of yellow aka a cub cadet??? I believe they are made by , well never mind, I forgot!!
No experience with those at all it just came in a package deal. Very clean and not seen much use. Maybe because it is quirky as all get out . Hard to start, runs great, then horrible. Did they basics like rebuild carb, new lines and looked over things for places air could sneak in and still the same.
I'm assuming seals.
Sounds like a good time helping out and making chips and fumes :sweet:.
Don't forget your tool boxes ;).

Lord I guess I’ll never live the toolbox thing down!!! Lol🤪🤪🤪🤪
Now that you mention it though, the young fella did say he was having a pretty bad chain stretch problem with his Troy built. Maybe I should take the repair box not the cutting box lol !! see what you started Chipper

Now that you mention it though, the young fella did say he was having a pretty bad chain stretch problem with his Troy built. Maybe I should take the repair box not the cutting box lol !! see what you started Chipper
See you don't want to forget it.
I have a good sized tool box in my Excursion, behind it is 2 floor jacks, 25' jumper cables, 4-way, tow strap, extra bars for various saws, big shot(large slingshot device to shoot throw bags/line into trees, to the left is a pry bar, pipe to fit over wrenches/ratchets, jack handles, zip straps,flexible securement dealy, and an assortment of other things one might possibly need. That's just the left lower 1/4 of the back :oops:.
I see no problem bringing a small tool box, or two, or even three :cheers:. But I'm still gonna razz you about it :yes:.
Pretty sure I posted these before, but here you go. This is what it should look like, but I also have a pile of ratchet straps.
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 12.22.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-04 at 12.22.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-04 at 12.22.17 PM.png

I'm assuming seals.
fix it,,thats a efco, good machine....

Back