Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doubt it had 2.54's in the rear... prob a set of 6:13's! lol
I had a set of 5.13's in my 69 340 Swinger. They were fun on the street.
JPLxQ8z.jpg

I went to the hill country this past weekend to visit my nephew and see his new place. I picked up a split cord of mesquite on the way back. Then today another guy that is closer called and has 4 cords that he need gone now and offered it to me for $150 a cord. Looks like I'll be making several trips out there to haul it back. 4 cords of split mesquite for 600 bucks. I can't pass that deal up. I can flip and resale it 6K here in my area.
pretty good sb! i like mesquite for cooking. hot searing wood. swell aroma. let it get down to red coals and toss on a thick one. that and a plate of chuck-wagon beans ~ mighty good eats.

i have 4 maybe 5 acres of the stuff! and some smitherings here n there, too.

tuff to beat something like this...
1642522704861.png

I'll have to try the 2 wheel one out I just have a farm home garden special here. I could see where the 2 wheels could come in handy though.
i move as much wood to the front of the bucket as possible. that gets the center of gravity over or close to the axle. then once balanced, it rolls along almost with fingertips ~

Sounds fantastic! Your speaking my language now🤣 :chainsaw: just fired up the jd I got from Bob. 3 pulls and a couple turns on the h and l and sounding loud and proud!
Not sure it's 10 billion, I'll have to do a quick btu calculation with my btu app lol.
Did you see the pile of logs out back, that's what I've been burning, heading out in a min to move things around and add another 1/4-1/2 a cord to it :surprised3:. Next time you're over we need to run some saw

Sounds like BBQ wood. Reason I asked, I was wondering if there was a premium in your area for Mesquite firewood. I have a neighbor with a lot of Hedge and thought about trying to sell some if a premium existed.
best have a clean flue if using it for firewood. mesquite and cedar not on my Top Ten Firewoods... a Weber full of hot mesquite is not easy to get up close and personal with....

but my preferred kindling is old cedar fence flats... 10" or so and split into 1/2" or thereabouts. good stuff!

:drinkingcoffee:

If you look at the pic with the load of brush the trailer wheels are white, frame black, and plywood sides. I dropped about $500 into it making it look like a mini JD hay wagon. Country Manufacturing still makes that trailer, and you can get it with the functioning dump. Mine doesn't have the dump mechanism. I'm going to put an electric/hydraulic scissor lift on it. The trailer new is about $1500-$1800, with plywood sides and deck. I Used 30-50 year old White Oak fence boards on mine, 3-4 coats of Spar Urethane. The metal slats between the boards are from a 72 Chevy pickup, wood bed kit. I'm looking for another one so I can make a train like real hay wagons. But I'm going to put my saw collection on it for the County Fair.
i noticed that! nice work....

Not really, quite happy for you.
I'm pretty set on firewood for myself, and lots more locust to cut when I get the time if the neighbor doesn't let anyone else in on it.
That being said, I need to stay focused on my place right now!
Maybe you haven't seen the piles of mostly locust at the house, the two piles on the left are 90% or better black locust. The pile to the right had some nice BL sticks on it, today I bucked most of them up.
I want all this either all bucked up or moved so I can remove the rest of the trees and then grade the area in the spring,
Anyone want that elm the ropes are in lol.
View attachment 957178
i saw those piles covered in snow in your 6 min long walk-around vid over on u-tube ~....

I have a Fiat Panda just to warn you should we meet at the lights!

:laugh: now that is what i call some hot stoplight action!! talk about some 'burning rubber!' in the heat of the night! lol

today, to me at least... seems street racing is almost morally wrong! but back in the 60's... if you had anything... it was almost a moral obligation! :yes: my '36 with it's dual quad L-88 thumper never lost a street race! but i did not go down to the shipyards where the g's [ - - ] came in from Queen Ann Hill... and sat around waiting for those $200, $400 in the dark of night run offs...

'don't sweat it man! ... they'll show up!'
1642524608174.png

Made right up the road from me Vince.
Ames True Temper specializes in the manufacture of non-powered lawn and garden products. Their manufacturing plant is located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and produces 85% of the wheelbarrows in the United States and Canada producing 1.7 million wheelbarrows each year.
that is interesting. my dually has no markings on its bucket. prob long ago worn off, a decal or?... it was a garage sale scrounge, one street over... $10.00 maybe 15. no more, though! it says True Temper stamped in one of the front metal brace flats..

thanks, Farmer Steve - now i know! :)

BBQ wood is king where I live vs firewood. Many people don't have room to buy and store bulk firewood or have a truck to haul it in. They are looking for a clean way to buy and haul wood in there car without all the mess. Bag wood is easy to load and keep there car clean and is handy for people that live in apartments or live in cramped subdivisions. It's easy and handy for them. Thats fine with me because I make 3 to 4 times what bulk wood would bring. A cord bagged up is 50 to 60 bags and can turn a 600 dollar cord into a 1500 dollar cord. It's more time and labor but the profet is worth it.
capitalism: find a need and supply the demand!

:numberone:

Just curious, how much smaller do you have to split it than you would if you were using it for heat?
depends on how hot you want the fire to be!!! ;)

there is a bbq joint few blocks from me... multi-locations. and out front are stacks of mesquite logs they use. 5-6". mesquite that i am familiar with is not too large of a tree...

but sure has some mean thorns.... can park a tractor real fast!

Latest posts

Back